Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Behold, atheists' new Ten Commandments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    No doubt, YECs are most plentiful in the US, but I think Adrift's imagination might be running away with him if he thinks the global atheist population is smaller than Christians worldwide who subscribe to Ussherism (interpret Genesis 1-6 literally). I was under the impression that YEC is a distinctly US "problem" (hence AiG being headquartered there), whereas religious skepticism and atheism are more widespread.

We need some hard stats now, as we're all doing too much imagining and presuming. This sounds like a job for rogue.
    I do not consider YEC fundamentalism just a USA problem. The biggest bucks in Evangelism of the world is in YEC fundamentalism. The exception is Western Europe, China, India and Southeast Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      I do not consider YEC fundamentalism just a USA problem. The biggest bucks in Evangelism of the world is in YEC fundamentalism. The exception is Western Europe, China, India and Southeast Asia.
      The exception is the major population centers of the world. Right...
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

#9 contradicts pretty much the entire list.

Comment

All laws and all gods are man made. Keep moving forward but learn from your failures.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            in my opinion all laws and all gods are man made. Keep moving forward but learn from your failures.
            fify
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
              The exception is the major population centers of the world. Right...
              Well . . . exceptions do not eliminate the problem of the elephant in the room.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                fify
                In fact, you fixed it for yourself, not me. But I appreciate the effort.
                Who is God anyway?
                It turns out that God is what other people tell you God is. While you may believe that you can have direct experience of God, that experience is always coloured by what you have already been taught about God and therefore God is essentially people talking to each other about God. There is nothing else. You cannot conceive of the Christian God ex nihilo because the known facts about the world do not lead you to Him. This is really telling us that whatever God is, if He exists, He is definitely not the Christian God. Christianity is its Scripture and nothing else – “the letter that kills” (2 Corinthians 3:6).

Comment

Christianity is its Scripture and nothing else – “the letter that kills” (2 Corinthians 3:6).
                  Yeah, that verse doesn't say what you think it says.

Comment

In fact, you fixed it for yourself, not me. But I appreciate the effort.
                    No, I fixed your nonsense. You have nothing but an opinion on where the idea of God came from. Because if divine revelation is true (which you simply can't prove otherwise), then God is not "man-made".

Who is God anyway?
                    the "I AM"

It turns out that God is what other people tell you God is.
                    In many cases, yes. But in the case of divine revelation, no He isn't. He is God, and that is what He is.

While you may believe that you can have direct experience of God, that experience is always coloured by what you have already been taught about God and therefore God is essentially people talking to each other about God.
                    Unless there was a divine revelation backed up by proof, such as with the miracles of Jesus done for the Apostles to testify of. And unless you can give me a better reason than you have given to mistrust them and their teachings, then my correction stands. IN YOUR OPINION, God is man-made.

There is nothing else. You cannot conceive of the Christian God ex nihilo
                    Why would I, since there is no need to conceive of that which has already been revealed.

because the known facts about the world do not lead you to Him.
                    In YOUR opinion, perhaps. I disagree.

This is really telling us that whatever God is, if He exists, He is definitely not the Christian God.
                    In your opinion, perhaps, but not in mine. The Christian God is the one that Jesus testified of, and I trust the testimony about Him.

Christianity is its Scripture and nothing else – “the letter that kills” (2 Corinthians 3:6).
                    Christianity is the belief in the Son of God and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. But I don't expect you to get that (1 Corinthians 2:14)
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      I don't think ff is that stupid. He's just trolling, as per usual.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        I don't think ff is that stupid. He's just trolling, as per usual.
                        The two are not mutually exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          Paul is promoting the idea to the gentiles that they are not to be bound by the requirements of Jewish scripture.

Romans 7:6 - But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

Likewise, if we take Paul seriously, the obsolescence of Christian scripture needs to be recognised in our time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            Christianity is the belief in the Son of God and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. But I don't expect you to get that (1 Corinthians 2:14)

Comment

Paul is promoting the idea to the gentiles that they are not to be bound by the requirements of Jewish scripture.

Romans 7:6 - But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

Likewise, if we take Paul seriously, the obsolescence of Christian scripture needs to be recognised in our time.
                              Like I said OBP, the two are not mutually exclusive. I think his above post offers at at least some evidence of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                                Like I said OBP, the two are not mutually exclusive. I think his above post offers at at least some evidence of this.
                                I still think he's just trolling.
                                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment