Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is God Immoral?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enjolras View Post
    In the scenario I gave the babies were not tortured for anything they did, but for God's entertainment. So even if one were to grant the absurd contention that babies somehow deserve torture, that would be irrelevant.
    I am not saying babies deserve torture.
    To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

I wrote 'torture,' not 'kill.'
      Oh.
      I thought this was a discussion about what it says in Bible
      To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
        Only if they grow up.

....all have sinexample.

But bible indicates babies pass go, and go straight to heaven (David and Bathsheba's baby example)
        Immediate translation to heaven is an excellent justification to kill Midianite baby boys and abort human fetuses. Thanks for equating the two.

Comment

Oh.
          I thought this was a discussion about what it says in Bible
          I gave a hypothetical scenario to see how far some Christians are willing to go in support of Divine Command Theory.
          Last edited by Enjolras; 11-28-2014, 09:22 PM.

Comment

I am not saying babies deserve torture.
            Yes, just spearing through the stomach. How else do you imagine the Midianite boys were dispatched?

Comment

The idea that babies automatically go to heaven is NOT biblically supported. David is quoted as saying he had hope of seeing the child again, but there is no indication that this was anything beyond his personal view/hope. In my view, Christians ought to replace this piece of folk theology with a sort of agnosticism that says "we don't know what happens", because as whag has pointed out, it can be used to support mass abortions.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

We are not omniscient.
                We are not justified killing babies because we do not know which babies are going to be the next Stalin, Pol Pot, or George Tiller.

Bible - God OTOH is omniscient and cannot be second-guessed.
                So, whether it's wrong to kill babies is a situational thing? It's not absolutely wrong?
                Last edited by Doug Shaver; 11-28-2014, 09:41 PM.

Comment

1 Samuel 15:3 'Now go and strike Amalek and utterly destroy all that he has, and do not spare him; but put to death both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.'"

I'm sure the children and infants deserved to die, but what do suppose the donkeys did?
                  Who the heck cares? They're donkeys.
                  Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                    Who the heck cares? They're donkeys.
                    I know, right!? Dumb 'ol donkeys...off with their heads!
                    Last edited by Enjolras; 11-28-2014, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                      The thread is about seer's admission he can't morally justify biblical atrocities. I don't believe those events were ordered by a god, so I'm not arguing from that basis.

The real question is why you feel compelled to believe it literal and defend it thus. Why not simp!y acknowledge it wasn't a divine command?
                      How can't we justify them? Men and women were killed for perpetuating the actions, children for two reasons: 1) So they wouldn't be able to take revenge. 2) The Israelites, at the time of the massacre, barely had enough infrastructure and control to keep their own society under control, much less when a couple thousand of foreigners, who had just happened to have been raised as violent pagans, have to be absorbed into it. This is shown by the frequent riots during the traveling through the desert, after the oppression at the hands of the Philistines, ect. In some instances, God even had to step in and kill the rebels for them.

And the infants were killed for the latter of the two reasons.

See? Justified.
                      Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

I know, right!? Dumb 'ol donkeys...off with their heads!
                        I know, right?!! Donkey massacres are fun fer the whole family!

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                          Immediate translation to heaven is an excellent justification to kill Midianite baby boys and abort human fetuses. Thanks for equating the two.
                          no.

already explained that in POST 39

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            The idea that babies automatically go to heaven is NOT biblically supported. David is quoted as saying he had hope of seeing the child again, but there is no indication that this was anything beyond his personal view/hope. In my view, Christians ought to replace this piece of folk theology with a sort of agnosticism that says "we don't know what happens", because as whag has pointed out, it can be used to support mass abortions.
                            David THE PROPHET ?

David the Prophet of many Psalms?

that David?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                              So, whether it's wrong to kill babies is a situational thing? It's not absolutely wrong?
                              it is wrong for humans to kill babies.

...so far, with the information I have so far.

Comment

David THE PROPHET ?

David the Prophet of many Psalms?

that David?
                                His statement wasn't in a book of prophecy or in that sort of context at all. I take it more as the sort of comforting thing that people say at funerals (see you soon someday, etc.). At that point in time, the Jews did not have the full picture of what happens after death, and would not until Jesus came. (Much of the Old Testament is indicative of that; there are not many hints of life after death in there.) David was no exception.
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment