Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is God Immoral?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
    Oh look, I see the cool kids think I'm stupid for advocating forgiveness to end a cycle of violence. here

Kelp, I'm very disappointed that you find my responses worthy of derision in your treehouse. For a brief moment there, you were a reasonable and thoughtful guy.
    While the screwball threads (and the tektonics subforum in general) tends to leave a bad taste in my mouth because it often serves as an echoing chamber of negativity, I think for some folks its used as a place to help resolve arguments that they're presented with that they have trouble reconciling. I think for both theists and non-theists there are far better places to work through these topics (maybe the Systematic Theology subforums for theists and the Theistic Metaphysics subforums for nontheists), but the truth is, the Screwball thread has a much higher rate of visibility, and so questions are probably going to be answered there at a much quicker rate. Its not an optimal system, but if I see something that I can hopefully help people work through relatively quickly, I'll ignore the chaff, and throw in my 2 cents. Its not limited to theists as far as I know, so non-theists can post there, but there is sometimes a gang up mentality that exists there, so I suppose its sometimes considered a safe zone for theists.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      While the screwball threads (and the tektonics subforum in general) tends to leave a bad taste in my mouth because it often serves as an echoing chamber of negativity, I think for some folks its used as a place to help resolve arguments that they're presented with that they have trouble reconciling. I think for both theists and non-theists there are far better places to work through these topics (maybe the Systematic Theology subforums for theists and the Theistic Metaphysics subforums for nontheists), but the truth is, the Screwball thread has a much higher rate of visibility, and so questions are probably going to be answered there at a much quicker rate. Its not an optimal system, but if I see something that I can hopefully help people work through relatively quickly, I'll ignore the chaff, and throw in my 2 cents. Its not limited to theists as far as I know, so non-theists can post there, but there is sometimes a gang up mentality that exists there, so I suppose its sometimes considered a safe zone for theists.
      I did see your contribution there which added some sense. Kelp wasn't asking a question. He was implying my statement about forgiveness was STUPID. I swear I'll never understand Christianity.

Comment

Oh look, I see the cool kids think I'm stupid for advocating forgiveness to end a cycle of violence. here

Kelp, I'm very disappointed that you find my responses worthy of derision in your treehouse. For a brief moment there, you were a reasonable and thoughtful guy.
        Not stupid, just acting like a selfish, pampered, moderner.

It was very disappointing to nominate you. I thought you were better than that.
        O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

I did see your contribution there which added some sense. Kelp wasn't asking a question. He was implying my statement about forgiveness was STUPID. I swear I'll never understand Christianity.
          Probably more a people thing than a Christian thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post

What??? are you going for the Paprika award? I have never, as far as I know, stooped to name calling you. I'm flabbergasted. I'm sorry if I don't meet your standards.

Comment

People who bristle at the thought of baby stabbing are "selfish pampered moderners." That's rich.

Comment

There ALWAYS a good reason to kill somebody. I think true morality is when you have a reason to kill someone but don't. That's what makes the idea of forgiveness so radical.
                Here's my direct quote. As far as I was aware, forgiveness is fundamental to Christianity and I was applauding it. We are all deeply moved when the relative of a murder victim forgives the murderer. That takes real strength. Forgiveness needs strength. It's a moral example that I would have thought we all aspire to. I honestly have no idea why I'm selfish for saying it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  I've had thoughts something like this before and it's nice to know that I'm not the only person who has had thoughts along those lines. In the past I'll admit to having posted things there before that would have objectively fit better elsewhere, but that I knew would probably get ignored elsewhere.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
                    He's exploring eastern orthodoxy and seems a tad liberal. I'm actually surprised he's gravitated to Holding's camp for encouragement.
                    The Eastern Orthodox are actually in general nearly reactionary, especially overseas. It's just some elements of their theology and pastoral practice are a tad looser (and yes, often more compassionate) owing partially to not developing the Western preoccupation with theological systematization.

But actually I am pretty liberal politically, but I'm used to clashing with super conservatives like my father so I anticipate friction (and keeping largely silent) in that area if I convert. I just go where the best arguments are.

I have my disagreements with some of Holding's choices, but by and large I think he's an awesome guy who only ridicules those who deserve it. I've been a fan of his articles from years past (though I agree about his animation, unfortunately).
                    O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
                      He's exploring eastern orthodoxy and seems a tad liberal. I'm actually surprised he's gravitated to Holding's camp for encouragement.
                      These categories, combined, don't quite seem as contradictory as you might think. There are a number of people who post in the Tekton section who are either Orthodox or have sympathies in that direction. (I'm not one of them.)
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

What??? are you going for the Paprika award? I have never, as far as I know, stooped to name calling you. I'm flabbergasted. I'm sorry if I don't meet your standards.
                        Key words- acting like a. I didn't say you were a selfish, pampered, moderner. I fully admit that I've said many things falling into the same category.

Comment

• My suggestion is that we not be quick to screwball-nominate posters who generally have a record of being reasonable, nuanced, and honest. I think pancreasman falls in that category.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            My suggestion is that we not be quick to screwball-nominate posters who generally have a record of being reasonable, nuanced, and honest. I think pancreasman falls in that category.
                            I've gone so far as to advocate getting rid of the Screwball threads altogether. Yeah, that didn't go over too well.

Comment

Key words- acting like a. I didn't say you were a selfish, pampered, moderner. I fully admit that I've said many things falling into the same category.
                              That strikes me as just semantics. I've obviously p'ed you off and you had to go show how stupid I was being without the context of our conversation. I'll be honest and say I was really hurt. (Yeah, I know, I should be tough like Darth Executor.)

More generally, as I've said before I think the screwballs thread is childish and nasty. It's one of the main reason I left Tweb in the old days. I believe I had thread about where I got roundly criticised by the 'gang'. It shows complete and utter disdain for the 'other'. You know you're dismissed and thought little of. It's ugly.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                My suggestion is that we not be quick to screwball-nominate posters who generally have a record of being reasonable, nuanced, and honest. I think pancreasman falls in that category.
                                I'm surprised you of all people would say this considering your history of nominating comments just because you don't like them, while frequently not even understanding them.

I don't think the comment was worth nominating either though.
                                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment