Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

About Psalm 137

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
    Wow.

Kind of ironic, given the verse we are discussing. The Israelites were thinking with glee about the children of their emenies being bashed on rocks.
    That's not just ignorant, it's profoundly ignorant.... the Jews were weeping -- the psalm begins with weeping. "By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion."

Modern Christiand are thinking with glee about their enemies "getting married off to some fat greasy sheikh". Good to see humanity has come so far.
    Not Modern Christiand [sic], just our beloved Darthy.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      That's not just ignorant, it's profoundly ignorant.... the Jews were weeping -- the psalm begins with weeping. "By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion."
      My bad, I should have said antipating being happy when the kids were bashed on the rocks and the ungrateful feminists having burkhas slapped on their heads then getting married off to some fat greasy sheikh
      My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

My bad, I should have said antipating being happy when the kids were bashed on the rocks and the ungrateful feminists having burkhas slapped on their heads then getting married off to some fat greasy sheikh
        Yeah, that makes you look less ignorant.

NOT
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

anticipating*
          "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
          "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
          Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Yeah, that makes you look less ignorant.
            NOT
            But that is what they said. The author of the Psalm was anticipating (thanks Cerealman) someone being happy (or blessed depending on translation) and Darth E. was anticipating getting a kick out of something. What are you objecting to?

Comment

But that is what they said. The author of the Psalm was anticipating (thanks Cerealman)
              Ah, so not only can you not SPELL anticipating, you're ignorant as to what it entails!

someone being happy (or blessed depending on translation)
              They were asking for retribution. That's clear from the context -- the entire psalm.

Comment

Ah, so not only can you not SPELL anticipating, you're ignorant as to what it entails!
                Do you mean that in the Psalm they are anticipating happiness for someone else, while DE anticipates his own happiness?
                They were asking for retribution. That's clear from the context -- the entire psalm.
                Yes, I know. Did they expect that retribution to happen? If so, they were anticipating someone's happiness at that point.

Comment

Do you mean that in the Psalm they are anticipating happiness for someone else, while DE anticipates his own happiness?

Yes, I know. Did they expect that retribution to happen? If so, they were anticipating someone's happiness at that point.
                  Pix,

Do not be afraid of this shark, cause it's not really a shark. It can't bite you or harm you in any way. It is only a PICTURE of a shark.

shark.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
                    That's why I'd place it yet in the future:
                    Source: KJV

Psalms 138:4 All the kings of the earth shall praise thee, O LORD, when they hear the words of thy mouth.

Psalms 138:5 Yea, they shall sing in the ways of the LORD: for great is the glory of the LORD.

Revelation 21:24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.

© Copyright Original Source

Seems kind of silly to me for Christians to believe some parts of Psalms are prophetic and Messianic but dismiss others out of hand without a good reason.
                    So you think that in the future, every nation on earth will become a monarchy with a male head so popular and powerful that the people actually care what his religion is?
                    O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      Their resistance to birth control is explained by their adherence to Aquinas' Natural Law theory to some degree, isn't it? I imagine that both the abortion and the birth control issue find a common denominator in Natural Law.
                      Mmhm. Wasting sperm was a big deal to him.

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      Arguably. I don't think it will though.
                      I hope it won't, yeah.
                      O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
                        The Catholic Church has always been against birth control for reasons that don't have much to do with abortion.
                        They're definitely related. There's a reason Mother Theresa often addressed both topics together, essentially fusing them into one movement. Also, you're missing the fact that the best way to reduce abortions is by giving women reproductive control.

Adrift is correct that it's rooted in their adherence to natural law:

Originally posted by Kelp(p)
                        There is arguably a danger that it will spread to their Protestant and Orthodox fellow travelers, though.
                        In calling the expulsion of a zygote "murder," Sparko seems awfully close. I'd say the Catholics have put the movement behind another 20 years with their course-grained approach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          regardless of the methods used.
                          Saying something works well is not the same as endorsing it.

The same countries were vastly superior to the rest of the planet before even though they were overtly Christian. Comparing different populations and pointing out that one is better because of X is stupid. You want to control variables as much as possible, which is why comparing Europe today with Europe 200 years ago and seeing how it fares relative to the rest of the world in each instance is a vastly superior measurement. Since liberals have hijacked educational institutions it's not surprising that their deranged offshoots are more popular among the more educated. The reason why they got hijacked in the first place is because Christianity acquired the abnormal degree of tolerance that you preach, probably as a product of economic success. They allowed outgroups into their institutions in good faith and those outgroups used their power to wreck them. Of course, that philosophy is now biting you in the behind since other outgroups (like fundamentalist muslims) are benefitting from your own abnormal degree of tolerance.

They're stagnating at a high point built on the bones of better men. And that's just financially. Culturally and socially they are at the worst they've ever been.

Conversely, the much more religious USA has more gun violence, the highest rates of incarceration and greatest wealth inequity of any equivalent nation.
                          Yes, thanks to particular minorities with grossly disproportionate crime rates. And while those minorities may be Christian (at least nominally), most pledge fealty to the atheist progressive machine, so the blame for their failure falls on people like you.

Your love of humanity is touching. <sarcasm> You gotta love Christians.
                          Love is a modern invention. My charity certainly is vast though, thanks for noticing.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Happy for what? Happy at the dead babies or happy that their enemy Edom has been brought low? In that time of very limited resources and care options, killing the children was a common part of ancient warfare. It wasn't personal, it was just assuring that they didn't grow up and start a blood feud against you and your own children. Arguably, it was even kinder than letting them live to die of starvation or get captured by slavers.

As much as we might wish it was not so, it was a dog eat dog world back then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
                              Happy for what? Happy at the dead babies or happy that their enemy Edom has been brought low? In that time of very limited resources and care options, killing the children was a common part of ancient warfare. It wasn't personal, it was just assuring that they didn't grow up and start a blood feud against you and your own children. Arguably, it was even kinder than letting them live to die of starvation or get captured by slavers.

As much as we might wish it was not so, it was a dog eat dog world back then.
                              Tell that to the Midianite boys Moses ordered killed AFTER they'd been seized. I'd argue the kinder thing would've been to raise them, not strangle them (or however they were dispatched).

Comment

• We're getting WAY off the topic....

Psalm 137 is about Jews in captivity. being mocked by their captors to "play the songs of Zion".
                                In frustration, they cry out to God for retribution.
                                They want payback.

It is NOT about God blessing baby killers.

Comment