Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Problem of Natural Evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by whag View Post
    Sodom and the Egyption plagues are examples of already extant natural phenomena being directed at people to punish them.

Clearly you didn't understand my OP. I didn't say I can't get my mind around moral evil having large-scale environmental consequences. You're not getting the temporal and causation aspects of the problem.
    Then explain it to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      I agree. There's more that can be said about the artistry and implications of the narrative that are very profound but I don't think it was intended to address the philosophical questions of natural evil and certainly not scientific ones. The Book of Job is more relevant in my opinion.
      More relevant how? I don't see it as shedding any particular light on the problem of natural evil. I've always seen it as anticlimactic, with all of Job's questions leading up to a meh answer.

Basically it says natural evil affects humanity because of two morally opposed conscious forces with contrary intentions, and that it's presumptive to speculate further or ask for more explanation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Then explain it to me.
        I've given sufficient explanation in this thread. Could you return the favor and elucidate your view on the causation? We might be talking past each other because you don't understand the significance of the natural history record and how the facts expressed therein give rise to the problem.

Comment

More relevant how? I don't see it as shedding any particular light on the problem of natural evil. I've always seen it as anticlimactic, with all of Job's questions leading up to a meh answer.

Basically it says natural evil affects humanity because of two morally opposed conscious forces with contrary intentions, and that it's presumptive to speculate further or ask for more explanation.
          More relevant because it at least intends to address the problem of natural evil, whereas I don't think Genesis does.
          אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I've given sufficient explanation in this thread. Could you return the favor and elucidate your view on the causation? We might be talking past each other because you don't understand the significance of the natural history record and how the facts expressed therein give rise to the problem.
            To me "natural evil" means the harmful effects of the natural world: Climate, Weather, Earthquakes, Diseases, etc.

What do you mean by it?

Comment

To me "natural evil" means the harmful effects of the natural world: Climate, Weather, Earthquakes, Diseases, etc.

What do you mean by it?
              Climate and weather are synonymous in this context. Etc covers the rest, I'm assuming. Now do you see how free will can't have brought about those eons-old natural phenomena?

Comment

Climate and weather are synonymous in this context. Etc covers the rest, I'm assuming. Now do you see how free will can't have brought about those eons-old natural phenomena?
                But we could have had control over those conditions, even over death, Like Christ, if we never fell.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Well if you are talking about before there were people, then you are right, people could not cause it. But I don't know of anyone who claims such a thing anyway.

Comment

Well if you are talking about before there were people, then you are right, people could not cause it. But I don't know of anyone who claims such a thing anyway.
                    William Dembski claims such a thing. I made that clear in this thread that people like that exist. YECs are well known for attributing free will to predation and calamity.

I'm glad we sorted out the misunderstanding.

Comment

William Dembski claims such a thing. I made that clear in this thread that people like that exist. YECs are well known for attributing free will to predation and calamity.

I'm glad we sorted out the misunderstanding.
                      I don't think that YECs claim that human free will caused natural evil before there were people.

Comment

• Most YEC's I've seen believe that natural evil did not exist before humans. T-Rex ate coconuts, rivers never flooded, etc.
                        O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

• So, Whag, just curious. Why do you reject Dembski's idea of the Fall reverberating backwards through time?
                          O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

I don't think that YECs claim that human free will caused natural evil before there were people.
                            Another misunderstanding. Of course they don't believe that human free will caused natural evil before people. I meant they, like Dembski, correlate natural evil with free will. The difference is that Dembski believes that the effects of the fall were retroactive. YECs are much more linear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
                              So, Whag, just curious. Why do you reject Dembski's idea of the Fall reverberating backwards through time?
                              For the sake of brevity, I'll use tectonics. Consider it representative of all natural evil phenomena since the same reasoning can be applied.

I reject it because the physics of crust driven by mantle convection currents better explain "catastrophic movement" better than a person eating a piece of fruit (or murdering a person or cheating on a test, if you don't wanna be literal about it).

Comment

Another misunderstanding. Of course they don't believe that human free will caused natural evil before people. I meant they, like Dembski, correlate natural evil with free will. The difference is that Dembski believes that the effects of the fall were retroactive. YECs are much more linear.
                                I see, so your goal wasn't to debate Christians on the topic at all, but instead to insult a subset of YEC's. Why didn't you just say that you had zero interest in discussing the topic, from the beginning? Would of saved us all a lot of time.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment