Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christianity Is Dangerous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Trout View Post
    That's not out of context.

Hmm. That's some serious escalation.

Everyone knows Darthie's mission in life is to mold a world where no one could conceivably take him seriously. You and Gerbzy have been taking him seriously again, haven't you? This is all your fault.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      firstfloor still hasn't explained the virtues of thinking for yourself. He claimed that "no one is someone else's slave", but that's not actually a virtue of thinking for yourself (or even true, for that matter). The reality is that nobody "thinks for themselves" much. Everybody thinking for themselves is a disaster. We'd never accumulate any real knowledge because we'd be too busy reinventing the wheel every time. We rely on other people to relay information, not just from person to person but across generations. What he actually means when he accuses Christians of "brainwashing" people is that we teach them something he doesn't believe.
      We need an Amen button.

Comment

• So, Darthy is kidding about the whole critical thinking thing right? That's the problem with fundies and fundy atheists, they failed logic 101 and Biblical interpretation 101. Not tt=o mention, we Cristians believe that everyone will be heldaccountable for their actions. Even if you don't get punished, you could still lose any rewards as a result of misbehavior.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• A lot of hot air, no examples. Sorry, bud.
          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

• Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
            A lot of hot air, no examples. Sorry, bud.
            Who are you talking too?

Comment

• Originally posted by MehGerbil View Post
              So 1500 years of slaughter is okay because of Mother Teresa?
              Once again, no examples.
              Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Who are you talking too?
                Oh, sorry, I was talking to Gerbil.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

• Oh! Where'd that person get 1500 years of slaughter from? The crusades were a war thing, off and on... Oh! Here's a link of debunking some claims of evil done in Christianity! http://www.tektonics.org/af/crimeline.htm The gist of it is that history is complicated and other factors are in play. Not everything is a crime either, unless you're predisposed to believe Christianity is not true. Then you're begging the question by using those claims to disprove Christianity. Here's a quote from the site: "Many of the claims are false. Many other are half-truths. Many have no discernible connection to Christianity. Almost all are given with no documentation."

Comment

Oh! Where'd that person get 1500 years of slaughter from? The crusades were a war thing, off and on... Oh! Here's a link of debunking some claims of evil done in Christianity! http://www.tektonics.org/af/crimeline.htm The gist of it is that history is complicated and other factors are in play. Not everything is a crime either, unless you're predisposed to believe Christianity is not true. Then you're begging the question by using those claims to disprove Christianity. Here's a quote from the site: "Many of the claims are false. Many other are half-truths. Many have no discernible connection to Christianity. Almost all are given with no documentation."
                    That, and the Crusaders weren't the bad guys. They were righteous soldiers of God, protecting their homeland from the wicked Islamic invaders, that had been killing, torturing, raping, and stealing land of the Christians for over a hundred years. If a hundred years of violence doesn't justify retaliation, then I don't know what does.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

• Wars just stink, period.

Comment

Wars just stink, period.
                        That may be true, but I know that sometimes they are necessary.

Comment

Wars just stink, period.
                          I would tend to disagree. Sometimes, when it comes to that, the ends justify the means, even if the means sometimes involve violence. I do consider it a shame though, that the Islamists could have fallen into such depravity as to commit these atrocities.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

• I didn't say that we should neveer have war, just that it stinks that conditions get bad enough and people do certain acts that end up needing a war to solve it. Getting in a fight for my life would stink too. Doesn't mean one shouldn't use self defense.

Comment

• I'm not kidding one bit. I know it's hard to tell when I'm joking sometimes (I do it on purpose, I find people pay more attention and are more likely to get something from my posts if I keep them on their toes) but usually, I don't argue for something in post after post just for the heck of it.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                                That, and the Crusaders weren't the bad guys. They were righteous soldiers of God, protecting their homeland from the wicked Islamic invaders, that had been killing, torturing, raping, and stealing land of the Christians for over a hundred years. If a hundred years of violence doesn't justify retaliation, then I don't know what does.
                                I don't have a problem with the crusaders, but they, like all people, were shades of gray.
                                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment