Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Richard Dawkins weighs in against reading fairy stories to children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so you didn't answer the question.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Ok, so you didn't answer the question.

Comment

Are are missing the point FF. We both know that you would trust a calculator created by an engineer over one created by the random forces of nature. And they are random, since there is no intention or goal, it is all chance. This all goes to the question of why we would trust or cognitive abilities if created by such forces.

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Are are missing the point FF. We both know that you would trust a calculator created by an engineer over one created by the random forces of nature. And they are random, since there is no intention or goal, it is all chance. This all goes to the question of why we would trust or cognitive abilities if created by such forces.
          Because cognitive abilities when demonstrated to be functioning within the norm for human beings have been proven by overwhelming consensus to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            I was being facetious... didn't you see my smilie?
            I saw it. Smilies can be used for lots of things. In this case, it looked more like a 'gotcha' to me.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I think it is not I but your goodself who is missing the point. A calculator is a calculator no matter how it is made or how or it came into being. If it does not calculate it is not a calculator. Trust is not a factor. What you are talking about is reliability which is different from function.

Evolution does not hold that we are rational beings by chance in the way you mean it. This has been explained to you many times before. It requires not chance but variation and opportunity for advancement of some description. There is no fundamental difference between natural selection and selective breeding of domesticated animals. Animal experiments suggest that breeding can enhance intelligence just like any physical characteristic.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                I think it is not I but your goodself who is missing the point. A calculator is a calculator no matter how it is made or how or it came into being. If it does not calculate it is not a calculator. Trust is not a factor. What you are talking about is reliability which is different from function.
                No, trust is a factor in the question I asked. And it is my question, and we both know the obvious answer.

Evolution does not hold that we are rational beings by chance in the way you mean it. This has been explained to you many times before. It requires not chance but variation and opportunity for advancement of some description. There is no fundamental difference between natural selection and selective breeding of domesticated animals. Animal experiments suggest that breeding can enhance intelligence just like any physical characteristic.
                Yes, selective breeding guided by intelligence. And of course it is purely chance. Did the universe have to unfold they way it did, with these laws and properties? Did biological life have to come into existence? Did early biological life have to survive? Did random mutations and Natural selection have to create self-aware creatures?

Comment

Yes, selective breeding guided by intelligence...
                  Not really. Selective breeding is initiated by intelligence, but it is guided (or inspired) by observations from nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Palaeogrammatos View Post
                    Because cognitive abilities when demonstrated to be functioning within the norm for human beings have been proven by overwhelming consensus to work.
                    No duh! The real question is why they work. I say because they were designed to be rational, and you say????

Comment

No duh! The real question is why they work. I say because they were designed to be rational, and you say????
                      By natural selection.

Comment

Not really. Selective breeding is initiated by intelligence, but it is guided (or inspired) by observations from nature.
                        Yes using intelligence to manipulate nature.

Comment

By natural selection.
                          I don't believe that non-rational, no conscious forces, could or did create rational, conscious beings. Why should I?

Comment

No, trust is a factor in the question I asked. And it is my question, and we both know the obvious answer.
                            The question is meaningless if it is designed to permit only one answer. What is it you think you have demonstrated?
                            Did the universe have to unfold they way it did, with these laws and properties? Did biological life have to come into existence? Did early biological life have to survive? Did random mutations and Natural selection have to create self-aware creatures?
                            No; none of the above. So what? I am not convinced that you are able prove your point by any of that stuff. It is a prerequisite to explaining human beings that human beings actually exist. The same applies to God by the way.

There is sufficient random chance at work that complete repeatability is unlikely but not enough to prevent convergent evolution.

Comment

Yes using intelligence to manipulate nature.
                              Which is virtually no different than seeing lightning strike a tree causing it to burn, and then starting a fire to basically replicate the results.

Comment

I don't believe that non-rational, no conscious forces, could or did create rational, conscious beings. Why should I?
                                But you believe in an intelligent, eternal super-being. Unfortunately, eternity is over-rated. No matter how far back you go, there is always a finite time between then and now. Therefore God is not eternal. So how do you explain God?

Comment