Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did the Jews really kill Jesus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Sure. It was important that Paul has said everything about his life whether or not it was applicable to the audiences or to the purpose of his writings.

It is not a contradiction to be both a Pharisee and a Roman citizen. I have not seen the estimates of Sadducees and Pharisees that got Roman citizenship or higher status. Why would his citizenship status prevent him from being a Pharisee?
    Roman Citizenship p.422 A N Sherwin- White. 1973

In other words Jews were very reluctant to become Roman citizens.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I would have thought you would recognize some areas where Paul affirms his Jewish background.]Paul does not tell us a great deal about his background. You maybe get into the debate whether some of the Pauline letters were not by Paul. However, that theory probably is rejected because the Pauline letters are found to remain together from the earliest discoveries of his letters.

Rom 9:1-6 -- he speaks of his fellow countrymen

Philipians 3:3-6 -- he speaks of his background as a Pharisee

If you are being hyper technical, Paul has probably not used the word we translate as "Jew" to speak of himself. There may be rhetorical reasons for this or he had more specific terms he used, as needed. However, by common parlance today, Paul called himself Jewish. (I'll sometimes use more cautious or exacting terms as needed, but I don't deny the common vernacular.)
      James the Brother of Jesus, p 297-298].

In other words, he may well have been reinventing himself.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

What are your credentials on this? You read Biblical languages? Familiar with the early church fathers and their writings?
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          Roman Citizenship p.422 A N Sherwin- White. 1973

In other words Jews were very reluctant to become Roman citizens.
          Thanks. This sounds like a useful book. If Paul had been from Jerusalem, it would be less likely for him to have citizenship status. Paul's family was more likely cooperating with the logistical needs of the Roman army and thus gained the citizen status as a result. He may have downplayed it during his training but affirmed his status when needed. We can talk about the average Jew, and we can consider specific variances from the norm.

Comment

Thanks. This sounds like a useful book. If Paul had been from Jerusalem, it would be less likely for him to have citizenship status. Paul's family was more likely cooperating with the logistical needs of the Roman army and thus gained the citizen status as a result.
            On what evidence?

He may have downplayed it during his training but affirmed his status when needed. We can talk about the average Jew, and we can consider specific variances from the norm.
            Do tell me what you consider to be the "average Jew"at this period?
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

On what evidence?
              This I think was described in Rediscovering Paul by Capes, et.al. But I'm not able to verify it at this time. It seems to be an attempt to put the known pieces into a bigger picture.
              Do tell me what you consider to be the "average Jew"at this period?
              I was using your quote about the Jewish sentiment against the government. However, we see a level of cooperation with government in John 11:45-52.

Comment

I was using your quote about the Jewish sentiment against the government.
                Just a question, what do you know about first century Judaism and the socio-political situation in first century Judaea?
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                  What are your credentials on this? You read Biblical languages? Familiar with the early church fathers and their writings?

Comment

Why the curiosity?
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Why the curiosity?
                      It's a fair question.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        It's a fair question.
                        If a contributor wants my CV then want will be their master.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That's cute.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A resume would be fine to start with.

It would be good to know how much time and effort one has spent in knowing the source materials that inspires all the massive analyses of the same. I noticed you refer a great deal to the literature and books you studied - which is great - but perhaps I missed where you have knowledge of the source languages and the early historical views of the documents in question.

Comment

A resume would be fine to start with.

It would be good to know how much time and effort one has spent in knowing the source materials that inspires all the massive analyses of the same. I noticed you refer a great deal to the literature and books you studied - which is great - but perhaps I missed where you have knowledge of the source languages and the early historical views of the documents in question.
                              And we've run into people who are simply good at Googling things and doing copy/paste. I think it's a fair question.

Comment

Benjamin was one of the two surviving 12 tribes, Judah and Benjamin. Collectively they were referred to as "Jews"

Comment