Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Red Letter Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

I suspect Trump would have been on the sharp end of Jesus' tongue - a prime example of the hypocrisy, deceit, and self-serving he so loathed.
    I agree, moreover: Jesus spoke specifically against divorce, equating it with the sin of adultery, and yet Trump has been married three times, divorced twice and gloats about lusting after beautiful women in his heart. And the Evangelicals love him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      I agree, moreover: Jesus spoke specifically against divorce, equating it with the sin of adultery, and yet Trump has been married three times, divorced twice and gloats about lusting after beautiful women in his heart. And the Evangelicals love him.
      These were things that happened before he announced that he embraced Christ[1] In my mind John 8:7 comes into play here.

1. Although I'm not entirely convinced he has I will at this point offer him the benefit of the doubt since being a Christian doesn't magically transform you into being perfect or even anywhere close to it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's hard to do "loud" in text... UNLESS I DO THIS!!!

Fervently? Hmmm...don't think so. Goes with "strident." I do think Trump is an immoral prat - but he will go the way of the dodo bird eventually (hopefully in 2020). And I do not denounce ALL evangelicals - merely those who are lining up behind this man and failing to call him out on his moral failings because they like his political policies. I suspect Jesus of Nazareth would have had a great deal to say about such positions.

As for my posts in general...there is a lot of speculation about my emotional state here. You appeared to be adamant that I was misreading many who appear fairly angry to me. I guess you'll have to decide if you accept my word that you are misreading my own emotional state. I feel neither strident - nor fervent - nor loud. I'm posting what I think.
        There is zero intended speculation about your emotional state. I'm not talking about how you feel, but about how your posts come across. Your posts seem to indicate that you think Trump is a horrible no-good human being with no redeeming qualities, and have repeatedly accused evangelicals in general of supporting his worst actions.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Wow...

I suspect not (but then again - don't we all ). Despite opinions here, I'm actually pretty honest, work hard to chase down my facts, and would prefer to believe what is true rather than what is convenient or what aligns with my existing views. I suspect Jesus and I would have gotten along pretty well - except that I would not have believed he was a god. But then again, I strongly suspect he didn't believe he was a god either, and would be dismayed to discover he had been elevated to that status.
          So why did He lie about it? And why did He not correct others who declared that He was? Why did he commend Peter for saying He was?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            So why did He lie about it? And why did He not correct others who declared that He was? Why did he commend Peter for saying He was?
            For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

The answer to this objection of course, is that none of what you describe really happened, because the Bible is only trustworthy when I agree with what it says.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              You keep painting with this great big ignorant brush. I don't love him any more than is required for me by my faith, and I pray for him daily.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

The answer to this objection of course, is that none of what you describe really happened, because the Bible is only trustworthy when I agree with what it says.

Thanks for the reality check.

Comment

So why did He lie about it?
                  I suspect he didn't.

And why did He not correct others who declared that He was?
                  I believe he was dead at the time.

Why did he commend Peter for saying He was?
                  I suspect he didn't.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I suspect he didn't.

I believe he was dead at the time.

I suspect he didn't.
                    So very predictable.

Comment

So very predictable.
                      Hey, I thought you were going to change your Rachel Madcow avatar?
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Comment

I think it might be a pre-make up shot

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I think it might be a pre-make up shot
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I thought that was Charles?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                I thought that was Charles?
                                ???

Comment