Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

So Easy To Be An Atheist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    You think 'atheist' is a badge of shame? Fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      No Tass, we select what God has selected - the moral law brought over from the Old Testament to the New Testament.
      You "select" whatever Old Testament laws suit the moral prejudices of the day. This is moral relativism writ large.

I recently listed a number of them for you on the Philosophy board, did you forget already?
      Yes I "forgot already" list them again. Where is the list of these New Covenant Laws that Christ instituted, that do away with the Laws of the Old Covenant?

And BTW - no interpretation is needed, they are quite clear...
      Then why aren't you killing adulterers as God commanded"... or the followers of other religions or or witches etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        You "select" whatever Old Testament laws suit the moral prejudices of the day. This is moral relativism writ large. [/qupote]

Yes I "forgot already" list them again. Where is the list of these New Covenant Laws that Christ instituted, that do away with the Laws of the Old Covenant?

Then why aren't you killing adulterers as God commanded"... or the followers of other religions or or witches etc. etc.
        Tass we have been over this ad nauseam and now you are just being an ass...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I assure you, you can rest easy on that account here.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Yes, if they really were witches who sold their soul to the devil and intended to do harm.
            Well I have never heard a really coherent argument for objective morality from an atheist. Most around here are relativists - as far as I can tell.
            That doesn't alter the fact that there are atheists who genuinely believe there are objective moral rules.

Why? Why is that a poor reason? Ease of living or giving into one's desire can be quite powerful reasons.
            Yes, but not for wanting something to be true turning into believing it is true. You would know you had altered a moral rule merely out of convenience, and not because you believed the rule to be wrong. It wouldn't be a moral rule anymore; not a rule of how you should behave.

I never said that all moral beliefs are easy to change, but some certainly are, even personally important ones.
            Well yes I suppose some are, but not because I want them to be different. Your moral code is what you believe it to be, not what you want it to be.

And what are the rules of an objectivist?
            [sigh] The collection of moral rules that a person believes to exist independently from opinion. [/sigh]

Where do I find these?

Comment

Tass we have been over this ad nauseam and now you are just being an ass...
              No, you have NEVER provided a comprehensive list of, "god-given" moral laws despite your repeated instance that they exist and supposedly form the basis of an objective standard of 'right and wrong'...as opposed to alleged moral relativism as per the thread title.

At best we get from you vague references to "it's all in the New Testament" and the Golden Rule...the latter not even being unique to the New Testament. Furthermore Christians never seem to agree on what constitutes God's moral law. It has always been internally inconsistent, vague and interpretable and has been used as justification for all sorts of appalling behaviour such as slavery, apartheid, witch murders and discrimination against despised minorities.

Comment

No, you have NEVER provided a comprehensive list of, "god-given" moral laws despite your repeated instance that they exist and supposedly form the basis of an objective standard of 'right and wrong'...as opposed to alleged moral relativism as per the thread title.
                That is another falsehood here is what I recently posted to you:

New Testament moral wrongs:

Adultery, fornication, homosexuality, witchcraft, lust, drunkenness, unjustified taking of human life, stealing, lying, unbelief, rage, covetousness, greed, idolatry, unbelief, pride, kidnapping, prostitution, bearing false witness, unforgiveness, blasphemy, deceit, fraud, envy, sorcery, hypocrisy, etc...

New Testament moral goods:

Loving God, loving our fellow man, being kind, following the golden rule, forgiving, being generous, helping the poor, being self-controlled, gracious, being honest, or refraining from all of the moral wrongs above...

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...Progress/page4
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I'm not sure what your point is - what exactly was laudable in one age, and a sin in another? And that is nonsense Crep, there is no newer Covenant, the next event will be Christ's return, and at that point the sheep will be separated from the goats and having me as your neighbor will be the least of your worries.

That doesn't alter the fact that there are atheists who genuinely believe there are objective moral rules.
                  I have no idea what that means. Moral rules or laws are born in or proceed from minds, so where do these objective moral rules exist apart from minds?

Yes, but not for wanting something to be true turning into believing it is true. You would know you had altered a moral rule merely out of convenience, and not because you believed the rule to be wrong. It wouldn't be a moral rule anymore; not a rule of how you should behave.
                  I have no idea what that means, if a man changes a moral ideal out of convenience he has changed it. To him it is now right. And why not change it based on convenience, if that is a good reason to him who are we to judge?

The collection of moral rules that a person believes to exist independently from opinion.
                  How is that possible? We can understand how the law of God could exist, since God is a rational mind, a moral being. How, where, do these moral rules exist apart from minds? And even if they did exist what authority do they have over us?

I'm asking the atheist...

Comment

I'm not sure what your point is - what exactly was laudable in one age, and a sin in another?
                    The stoning to death of witches, according to you.

And that is nonsense Crep, there is no newer Covenant, the next event will be Christ's return, and at that point the sheep will be separated from the goats and having me as your neighbor will be the least of your worries.
                    I have no idea what that means. Moral rules or laws are born in or proceed from minds, so where do these objective moral rules exist apart from minds?
                    I have no idea what that means, if a man changes a moral ideal out of convenience he has changed it.
                    Yes but not because he believes it to be wrong, but because he wants it to be wrong.

To him it is now right. And why not change it based on convenience, if that is a good reason to him who are we to judge?
                    He can do all he likes, but I find it an extremely poor reason, and I don't think I could ever do that, thereby answering your OP. Am I not entitled to that opinion?

How is that possible? We can understand how the law of God could exist, since God is a rational mind, a moral being. How, where, do these moral rules exist apart from minds? And even if they did exist what authority do they have over us?
                    Well, I suppose objective moral rules could exist as objectively as mathematical truths. But don't ask me, I'm not an objective moralist.

I'm asking the atheist...

Comment

Originally posted by crepuscule View Post
                      The stoning to death of witches, according to you.
                      But I wouldn't see the death penalty for witches as laudable in one age, and a sin in another. How did you come to that conclusion?

Yes but not because he believes it to be wrong, but because he wants it to be wrong.
                      And that could lead to him believing it is no longer wrong. That exactly was the case for me.

He can do all he likes, but I find it an extremely poor reason, and I don't think I could ever do that, thereby answering your OP. Am I not entitled to that opinion?
                      Of course you are. But "reasons" are just as subjective and personal as anything else.

Well, I suppose objective moral rules could exist as objectively as mathematical truths. But don't ask me, I'm not an objective moralist.
                      Well I can prove empirically that 2+2=4, how could one prove empirically that murder is wrong? These are different things.

So you are a moral relativist?

Comment

But I wouldn't see the death penalty for witches as laudable in one age, and a sin in another. How did you come to that conclusion?
                        And that could lead to him believing it is no longer wrong. That exactly was the case for me.
                        But my point was he would know the original cause for his change of belief was not the statement is wrong, but
                        Of course you are. But "reasons" are just as subjective and personal as anything else.
                        Of course. And of course so are yours.

Well I can prove empirically that 2+2=4, how could one prove empirically that murder is wrong? These are different things.
                        So you are a moral relativist?
                        Yes.

Comment

That is another falsehood here is what I recently posted to you:
                          Oh, witches do exist, I thought you and CS Lewis were doubtful about this...although God seems to have no doubt. Otherwise it's just the standard 'rights and wrongs' of humanity throughout history and subject to modification as social mores change, e.g. adultery/remarriage, homosexuality and the place of women in society.
                          Last edited by Tassman; 08-24-2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Oh, witches do exist, I thought you and CS Lewis were doubtful about this...although God seems to have no doubt. Otherwise it's just the standard 'rights and wrongs' of humanity throughout history and subject to modification as social mores change, e.g. adultery/remarriage, homosexuality and the place of women in society.
                            Oh stop Tass, you asked for a list and I gave it to you. And I have no idea what your point is, adultery and homosexuality are still morally wrong.

Comment

Where did I say that we should disobey the law of God?

But my point was he would know the original cause for his change of belief was not the statement is wrong, but
                              Crep, if ethics are truly relative what is the big deal in how one got there? Why not, to a degree, choose actual pleasure over some relative moral ideal?

Of course. And of course so are yours.
                              Of course I would disagree, the law of God is universal and binding. And all men are accountable to it.

Well they should actually have an argument. Look, math does not exist without minds. Distance for instance would exist between the moon and earth apart from minds, but it takes a mind, or minds, to assign subjective tokens of measurement. But distance is a real physical thing, the math is based on a physical reality, morality is not like that. The ideal that murder is wrong is not a physical thing.

Comment

Oh stop Tass, you asked for a list and I gave it to you. And I have no idea what your point is, adultery and homosexuality are still morally wrong.
                                Your "list" is just the standard collection of 'rights and wrongs' common to humanity throughout history, not unique to your deity. Further, it has historically been subject to modification as social values have changed. E.g. adultery/remarriage, homosexuality and the lower status of women in society are no longer regarded as rigidly as previously. Homosexuality is acceptable to the majority of people throughout the Western world...even among some Christians. Women are allowed to hold positions of power. And promiscuous adulterers are voted into office. What you regard as "still morally wrong" is not the position of most people, which would explain why religion is in decline in the West. It's irrelevant.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/prot...ry?id=54995663

Comment