Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

So Easy To Be An Atheist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Like I said seer, no one is going to change your mind, you believe that morals either must be objective realities, laws of god, or they are meaningless and purposeless. It's for that very purpose, the narcisistic nature of human beings, that we impress morality and the fear of god on children. But then, at some point, it is up to the individual to either grow up, or remain in the pschological prison world of his own mind. "Blessed are the meek, they remain in that world, probably happily so, but blessed too are the righteous, they escape, the scales fall from their eyes, they are born again so to speak, and their moral behavior, good or bad, is no longer a result of a fear of god, but the result of their own mature responsible nature. You are still locked up in the prison of your own mind where, according to your own previous testimony, and for the good of society, it seems you belong for the time being.
    Jim you did not deal with my points, again... But in your godless world it would be perfectly rational to dominate and control your fellow man for your own benefit if you had the power to do so. There is nothing inherently wrong or immoral about that because nothing in your world is inherently wrong or immoral.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      You're right. You're not saying I'm irrational - just less rational than you.
      I'm so glad we finally agree on something!

And that is where we disagree. I do not subscribe to a "might makes right" philosophy. That makes whoever is most powerful the definer of right. I do not see "right" being a function of "power." I don't know too many people who do.
      But if God or the majority decided it was a moral good to impose their values (as we do with the laws of this land) then that is good and right.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        I'm so glad we finally agree on something!
        Yes. We agree you said that.

Originally posted by seer View Post
        But if God or the majority decided it was a moral good to impose their values (as we do with the laws of this land) then that is good and right.
        No.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

No.
          No because you disagree with it? Why would that matter?

Comment

No because it is simply wrong. You are advocating a "might makes right" philosophy. I doubt you will find many who accept that as true. Might is about power. Power does not define what is right. Not for most of us humans. If it does for you -
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

No because it is simply wrong. You are advocating a "might makes right" philosophy. I doubt you will find many who accept that as true. Might is about power. Power does not define what is right. Not for most of us humans. If it does for you -
              No, I'm saying that the the people with the power are defining right, and therefore they are right.

Comment

No, I'm saying that the the people with the power are defining right, and therefore they are right.
                So might makes right....

Seer - how are you not seeing this...?

Comment

So might makes right....

Seer - how are you not seeing this...?
                  Carp, if the powerful define right (as the majority does in this nation) why would their definition be incorrect and yours, for instance, be correct.

Comment

Jim you did not deal with my points, again... But in your godless world it would be perfectly rational to dominate and control your fellow man for your own benefit if you had the power to do so.
                    It is not rational or even possible to act against our instinctive nature as evolved social animals. Our instinctive tendency towards reciprocal social behaviour is naturally built into us, because such behaviour is beneficial to the survival of our species as social animals.

There is nothing inherently wrong or immoral about that because nothing in your world is inherently wrong or immoral.

Comment

Jim you did not deal with my points, again... But in your godless world it would be perfectly rational to dominate and control your fellow man for your own benefit if you had the power to do so. There is nothing inherently wrong or immoral about that because nothing in your world is inherently wrong or immoral.
                      One can both act immorally and rationally at the same time seer, the one needn't have anything to do with the other. And if behaviors were inherently wrong, then we wouldn't be free to choose otherwise. What you mean to say is that nothing in my world is "objectively wrong," or to put it another way, what you mean to say is that, in my world, right and wrong have nothing to do with, and need have nothing to do with, a god. True, in my world a god isn't needed in order that I act morally. If there were such a thing as objective morality, then god too would need be subject to it, not the source of it.
                      Last edited by JimL; 09-30-2018, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        One can both act immorally and rationally at the same time seer, the one needn't have anything to do with the other.
                        That is just stupid Jim, you don't get to define what is moral or not. If the powerful minority believe it is a moral good to take advantage of others then it is a moral good to them, your disagreement is meaningless, your definition of moral is meaningless. And no more valid than theirs.

Comment

Carp, if the powerful define right (as the majority does in this nation) why would their definition be incorrect and yours, for instance, be correct.
                          You are (again) looking for absolute answers in a relative system. They don't exist. Right is defined, for each person, by how the action aligns to their underlying value structure. It's no more complicated than that. And "the majority" is nothing more than the collective sum of individual moral frameworks. It's a short-hand for saying, "most of the members of this society hold X to be a moral good." It requires individuals to hold that position to get to "a majority." And even if everyone in the country said, "X is moral," if my moral framework says it is immoral, I will continue to see it as immoral.

Comment

But in your godless world it would be perfectly rational to dominate and control your fellow man for your own benefit if you had the power to do so.
                            Not in my godless world. I don't accept the possibility of a conflict between the smart thing to do and the right thing to do.

Comment

And you're wrong.

They define what is right for them. It does not define what is right for me.

Comment

It matters because I am the one that defines what is right for me. No one can take that power away from me.

Comment