Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The More We Evolve, the Less We Need God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    The majority of Christians disagree with your rigid, literal interpretation of scripture re the evils of homosexuality.
    It is not an "interpretation" of scripture, it is what the text actually says. And what majority? Have you polled all the Christians in the world?

No, I was responding to your silly claim about Jesus not mentioning homosexuality, like that meant he approve of it. Which is nonsense.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• That certainly goes for quite many who call themselves Christians. They reject the actual content and message of the Bible in favour politics and inhuman law made to serve the interest of themselves over the stranger, the children and others in need.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        It is not an "interpretation" of scripture, it is what the text actually says.
        And what majority? Have you polled all the Christians in the world?
        I was quoting Pew Research. The majority of Christians in the US nowadays accept homosexuality as a normal variation of human sexuality. It's not for me to doubt their sincerity as Christians... 'll leave that to you Evangelicals.

No, I was responding to your silly claim about Jesus not mentioning homosexuality, like that meant he approve of it. Which is nonsense.
        I would suggest that his lack of mentioning homosexuality, as opposed to him forcefully equating divorce with adultery, indicates that it wasn't as important to him as it is to you...and some Evangelical cake shop owners.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
          That certainly goes for quite many who call themselves Christians. They reject the actual content and message of the Bible in favour politics and inhuman law made to serve the interest of themselves over the stranger, the children and others in need.
          Yes, the bible is used to support their personal prejudices...pre-existing values guide its interpretation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Nothing, except in your little mind.

Read the rest of this:

https://www.ligonier.org/blog/some-s...l-eschatology/
            According to Matthew, that speech and the transfiguration were just six days apart.

It doesn't make a lot of sense for Jesus to be saying, in effect, "Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before..." next week. Kinda lacks impact.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• You are not making sense Tass, yes the death penalty was applied in the Mosaic civil code for adultery, because we no longer do that doesn't make adultery moral. Do you think adultery is moral? Things are moral or immoral despite what civil penalties we may or may not apply.

I was quoting Pew Research. The majority of Christians in the US nowadays accept homosexuality as a normal variation of human sexuality. It's not for me to doubt their sincerity as Christians... 'll leave that to you Evangelicals.
              Well I certainty doubt their fidelity to Scripture.

I would suggest that his lack of mentioning homosexuality, as opposed to him forcefully equating divorce with adultery, indicates that it wasn't as important to him as it is to you...and some Evangelical cake shop owners.
              So I guess rape and child molesting weren't that important to Him either. Christ came to fulfill and keep the law of God, and that law included prohibitions against homosexual behavior.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Yes, the bible is used to support their personal prejudices...pre-existing values guide its interpretation.
                That is a lie Tass, I gave you the texts, they are not ambiguous.

Comment

• So? If atheism is true then why ought I care about the consent of others?
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

BTW Tass, it is the more devout Christians who study Scripture and attend services more regularly who believe that homosexuality should be discouraged - by a wide margin.

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-la...homosexuality/

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                      The point is that nobody has to disbelieve in God just because of what his existence implies. For people who don't like the consequences you speak of, it is just as easy to deny that God's existence implies them.
                      I'm not sure how such an argument would look. "I accept that God exists, but I deny that he is the ultimate judge of man's moral conduct"? Seems it's easier for one so inclined to simply reject God up front and avoid such back-breaking mental gymnastics. Rather, the usual premise is to reason that one is good enough that God won't judge them, or won't judge them too harshly; it's not uncommon to see atheists appeal to this as their "just in case" escape hatch, i.e. "Surely God would never send an honest doubter like me to hell!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        According to Matthew, that speech and the transfiguration were just six days apart.

It doesn't make a lot of sense for Jesus to be saying, in effect, "Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before..." next week. Kinda lacks impact.
                        Yep because we all know ancient people had the same expeditions modern people do.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          So? If atheism is true then why ought I care about the consent of others?
                          Perhaps, as a Christian (at least by name), you could explain the Christian perspective on this... Or perhaps the Christian perspective is to say "So?"
                          Last edited by Charles; 07-05-2018, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                            Perhaps, as a Christian (at least by name), you could explain the Christian perspective on this... Or perhaps the Christian perspective is to say "So?"
                            This just shows what a philosophical dunce you are. See William Craig's "Can We Be Good Without God?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              If atheism is true then why ought I care about the consent of others?
                              Because not caring will have consequences that you'll want to avoid if you're rational.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                                Because not caring will have consequences that you'll want to avoid if you're rational.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment