Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Could God reincarnate humans if he wanted to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't try playing this game Chuck, you're not good at it. Back up to verse 15 to see who Jesus is talking about, and then move on to verse 24 to see how one can be assured of his salvation.

Quoting verse 21-23 out of context to scare people into questioning their Christianity is an old "stupid atheist" trick.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
      The detailed answer is very convincing.
      You asked. I answered. Whether or not you are convinced is not my concern, and if you wish to press the matter then the burden is yours to explain why my answer is inadequate.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Few people would put it that way. They're considered inspired by God. Most Christians also believe there are more than 66 inspired books (Protestants are not a majority).

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          Christians know God.
          And we're supposed to believe it just because they say so.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Don't try playing this game Chuck, you're not good at it. Back up to verse 15 to see who Jesus is talking about, and then move on to verse 24 to see how one can be assured of his salvation.

Quoting verse 21-23 out of context to scare people into questioning their Christianity is an old "stupid atheist" trick.
            I like the fact that you are unable to explain the difference verse 15 and onwards make. How does it change the description of people who thought they were on the right side? And there are other examples of situations that resemble this. But it appears you pick and choose as it suits you. And once again your ad hominem strategy does not do much to help you.

It seems that everytime you talk about context you mainly want specifics parts to say what the actual wording says. Must be a tiresome approach.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              And that can't strictly be described as reincarnation. It will be MY body and MY spirit, not a different one.

Just better.
              Which body will it be, the one of mossrose as a young girl, or at sweet sixteen or the wrinkly older one one at point of death?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                I like the fact that you are unable to explain the difference verse 15 and onwards make. How does it change the description of people who thought they were on the right side? And there are other examples of situations that resemble this. But it appears you pick and choose as it suits you. And once again your ad hominem strategy does not do much to help you.

It seems that everytime you talk about context you mainly want specifics parts to say what the actual wording says. Must be a tiresome approach.
                Projection. You plucked a passage out of context. Don't come crying to me when you get called out. "False prophet" has an unambiguous meaning in scripture. To take Jesus' admonition and claim that it applies to all Christians across the board is bad exegesis. There is nothing in scripture to support the "stupid atheist" notion of being sincerely mistaken. That is to say that false prophets know perfectly well that they're false.
                Last edited by Mountain Man; 06-07-2018, 07:07 AM.

Comment

The apostates are known for calling God given his word to man "mechanical" dictation. It was not mechanical (2 Peter 1:21).
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Your trolling is duly noted.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      "Mechanical" dictation is a straw man argument made by the enemies of the written "word of God."
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

"Mechanical" dictation is a straw man argument made by the enemies of the written "word of God."
                        Here's what you said that sparked this....

A couple things here. 1) God is the existence in which all men live (Acts 17:28). 2) God used men to transcribe the holy writings (2 Peter 1:19-21).
                        "Transcribe" is the counterpart of "dictation", mechanical or otherwise.

Perhaps you'd like to choose a better word than "transcribe"? The scriptures were certainly inspired by God, but I think dictation/transcription is not what happened.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Here's what you said that sparked this....

"Transcribe" is the counterpart of "dictation", mechanical or otherwise.

Perhaps you'd like to choose a better word than "transcribe"? The scriptures were certainly inspired by God, but I think dictation/transcription is not what happened.
                          Transcribe means "to be written." B. B. Warfield also described verbal plenary inspiration of God's written word using the term "dictation." see pages 86-87 of Inspiration and Authority of the Bible. Dr John R. Rice in his book Our God Breathed Book: The Bible, how the term "mechanical" is used to malign how God dictated His written word.
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Projection. You plucked a passage out of context. Don't come crying to me when you get called out. "False prophet" has an unambiguous meaning in scripture. To take Jesus' admonition and claim that it applies to all Christians across the board is bad exegesis. There is nothing in scripture to support the "stupid atheist" notion of being sincerely mistaken. That is to say that false prophets know perfectly well that they're false.
                            Lets have a look at the context in New International Version:

True and False ProphetsTrue and False Disciples
                            So according to New International Version verse 21 and onwards is not about false prophets but false disciples. What this means is that your idea that it should be read in context is really the idea to read it in another context than the one intended.

If we read it from the perspective of NIV it makes a lot more sense. If you go for the approach that theyt know they are false the text really does not make much sense. If they know they are false why does the text say:

They are not only saying the word Lord they are saying it to the Lord. Take note of the exact wording: “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven[...]"

Ad hominems wont help you. You are simply failing to identify a rather important distinction between false prophets and false disciples. When you want me to read it in context you are actually asking me to read it out of context.
                            Last edited by Charles; 06-07-2018, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                              Lets have a look at the context in New International Version:

So according to New International Version verse 21 and onwards is not about false prophets but false disciples. What this means is that your idea that it should be read in context is really the idea to read it in another context than the one intended.

If we read it from the perspective of NIV it makes a lot more sense. If you go for the approach that theyt know they are false the text really does not make much sense. If they know they are false why does the text say:

They are not only saying the word Lord they are saying it to the Lord. Take note of the exact wording: “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven[...]"

Ad hominems wont help you. You are simply failing to identify a rather important distinction between false prophets and false disciples. When you want me to read it in context you are actually asking me to read it out of context.
                              What are you arguing about Charles? MM first mentioned that we have assurance that we are saved.

The verses you are talking about are not about doubt, but about false prophets and disciples who merely claim to be believers. These are people who only claim to be believers but are in fact fakes. Not people mistaken about being saved. These are the cult leaders, the fake televangelists, and that sort who go around pretending to be Christians to lure people in. The con men.

You seem to be talking past one another.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                Which body will it be, the one of mossrose as a young girl, or at sweet sixteen or the wrinkly older one one at point of death?

Don't know, don't care. It will be perfect and according to scripture it will be recognizable to others as Jesus' resurrected body is and will be forever.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment