Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Paul�s basket escape from Damascus (Robert Eisenman)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty simplistic, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
      Pretty simplistic, eh?
      Very broad brush, yes. Still not quite ready to answer your post at #23.

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
        I agree. It's absolutely absurd to think that Christians would ever persecute or misunderstand Jews.

NORM
        You're not able to defend your claim that the NT is anti-Semitic, so now you shift the goalposts?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
          You're not able to defend your claim that the NT is anti-Semitic, so now you shift the goalposts?
          http://jdstone.org/cr/files/antisemi...stament_1.html

Comment

Let's not argue by weblink; what are the salient points that demonstrate this alleged anti-Semitism?
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              Let's not argue by weblink; what are the salient points that demonstrate this alleged anti-Semitism?

Comment

The same author also presumably wrote, Romans 9:1-3 I am telling the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience testifies with me in the Holy Spirit, 2 that I have great sorrow and unceasing grief in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed, separated from Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh.

I agree with Rberman, Eisenman sounds simplistic.

Comment

The ESV has a footnote that says: "The Greek word Ioudaioi can refer to Jewish religious leaders and others under their influence, who opposed the Christian faith in that time." So it's not as clear cut as Eisenman makes it seem.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It's too daunting a task for me, but it would be interesting to collect all the negative assessments of Israel and the Jews in the Old Testament and compare them to the negative assessments of the Jews in the New Testament, and see if the NT is any worse than the OT when it comes to either quantity (taking into account the larger quantity of text in the OT) or severity. My gut instincts are telling me that the NT will atleast not come across as more negative than the OT and that the OT's description of the Hebrews in the relevant passages will not be any more lenient than the NT description of the first-century Jews.

I'm not up for the task of scouring through the entirety of the OT in search of these passages however, so it'll have to stay as an idea.

ETA: Just to clarify, the argument here would not be that the OT is anti-semitic and therefore it's okay if the NT is anti-semitic as well, but that since it would be absurd to accuse the OT of anti-semitism and the NT does not describe the Jews in a worse light than the OT, any charges of anti-semitism in the NT would fall prey to the Reductio ad absurdum argument. I.e if the NT is anti-semitic, so is the OT, which would be ridiculous.
                    Last edited by JonathanL; 04-24-2014, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                      new amen button

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                        You see what you want to see. I see, in the gospels, a Jewish man with Jewish followers who ran afoul of Jewish politicians. If you wanted to say that Jesus' life and teachings reflect a negative view of political power, you would have a case. The Sanhedrin did not accuse Jesus among themselves of sedition against Rome, but of blasphemy against God. However, knowing that Rome would not execute him for that, their false accusation before the Roman government was sedition.

i do not find your evidence compelling, but you are doing a better job establishing the anti-Christianism of NORM.
                        New amen button

Comment

Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
                          I agree with Rberman, Eisenman sounds simplistic.

Comment

Eisenman's views on early Christianity (especially James and Paul) are known to be controversial within academia. Doesn't mean he's wrong, but when people who don't have much understanding about early Christianity bandwagon a scholar because his views align with their own...that's bad form in my opinion. Why don't you start off by reading some well respected mainstream scholars and see what they say. Check out Sanders, Meier, Brown, Metzger, Gundry, Bauckham, Dunn, Hurtado, and the like, then circle back round to the fringe element.

Comment

Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
                              Eisenman's views on early Christianity (especially James and Paul) are known to be controversial within academia. Doesn't mean he's wrong, but when people who don't have much understanding about early Christianity bandwagon a scholar because his views align with their own...that's bad form in my opinion. Why don't you start off by reading some well respected mainstream scholars and see what they say. Check out Sanders, Meier, Brown, Metzger, Gundry, Bauckham, Dunn, Hurtado, and the like, then circle back round to the fringe element.

Comment

If you're on the fringe, probably everyone in the mainstream is "conservative". Radicals who reject the Apollo 11 moon landing, or who think that 9/11 is an inside job think that the truth is being covered up by some vague "authority". I wouldn't put too much stock in that sort of talk. Besides, the most important voices in mainstream Biblical scholarship over the last couple centuries are hardly "conservative" in the way most laymen think.

Comment