Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Nobody Dies for a Lie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Really? First off we are imperfect beings so it is impossible to never do what we call sin.
    That was his point.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      You don't have to believe in Jesus or be doomed. You can always just never sin. or is it too late for that?
      Not for me...
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Actually Romans 2 says your own conscience will accuse or acquit you.
        Romans 2:14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)
        Right, Sparko, and we, even as infants, are just born knowing right from wrong, Correct? C'mon, using the bible in order to defend the claims of the same, doesn't work. The reason that what we call the law is what you and Paul would say is written on our hearts is because it is etched there, taught to us as children, by our culture, not because we are born knowing right from wrong.

Well then, I guess if you sin you will need to pay the price unless you can figure some way out.
        There is neither price to be paid nor reward given simply because of what any one human being has honestly come to believe. It's illogical and idiotic!

Jim, I know you think you are being clever here, but in reality you are being really stupid.
        Ad hominem attacks don't help your case, Sparko. The fact continues to remain, the disciples themselves did not believe without seeing, were not required to believe without seeing, and even Jesus knew that he had to show himself to the disciples in order to prove his resurrection. So it's ridiculous to believe that this same god would require belief in testimony alone when his own disciples didn't necessarily believe him.

Comment

Ad hominem attacks don't help your case, Sparko.
          Irony-Meter-Explode.jpg
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            Not for me...
            It is now!

Comment

Right, Sparko, and we, even as infants, are just born knowing right from wrong, Correct? C'mon, using the bible in order to defend the claims of the same, doesn't work. The reason that what we call the law is what you and Paul would say is written on our hearts is because it is etched there, taught to us as children, by our culture, not because we are born knowing right from wrong.

There is neither price to be paid nor reward given simply because of what any one human being has honestly come to believe. It's illogical and idiotic!

Ad hominem attacks don't help your case, Sparko. The fact continues to remain, the disciples themselves did not believe without seeing, were not required to believe without seeing, and even Jesus knew that he had to show himself to the disciples in order to prove his resurrection. So it's ridiculous to believe that this same god would require belief in testimony alone when his own disciples didn't necessarily believe him.
              I am not going through this again with you Jimboy. You just continue to burn straw and think somehow that means you have "defeated Christianity" or something. It's pretty pathetic. Nobody is forcing you to believe anything. You can go your own way. Me? I will hitch my wagon to the Jesus train.
              Last edited by Sparko; 04-30-2018, 01:32 PM.

Comment

It is now!
                Nahh.. I'm covered.. once saved, always saved...
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

If you were truly saved.

Comment

Serious question - regarding "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved".

Do you still believe God raised Jesus from the dead? I'm thinking the obvious answer has to be no.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Serious question - regarding "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved".

Do you still believe God raised Jesus from the dead? I'm thinking the obvious answer has to be no.
                      That would be the obvious answer. It would be hard for a god that does not exist to do much of anything.

Comment

That would be the obvious answer. It would be hard for a god that does not exist to do much of anything.
                        Then you're in trouble - your OSAS is defunct.

Comment

Then you're in trouble - your OSAS is defunct.
                          Yeah, I've been told that more than once. I'm going with Michel's Wager.

Comment

I am not going through this again with you Jimboy. You just continue to burn straw and think somehow that means you have "defeated Christianity" or something. It's pretty pathetic. Nobody is forcing you to believe anything. You can go your own way. Me? I will hitch my wagon to the Jesus train.
                            Actually, what's pathetic, is your inability to defend what you believe. Hand waving is no defense. Jesus didn't require his disciples to believe without seeing, so it's illogical to believe that he would require the rest of us to believe without seeing. What do you think, that Jesus was an idiot?

Comment

Did god raise Jesus from the dead, or did Jesus raise himself from the dead, and what would be the difference? Does Jesus have a glorified material body now, ya know, like the one that resurrected and ascended to heaven to sit at the right hand of the Father, or is he a spirit, ya know, unified as one with the father and the holy spirit?

Comment

Actually, what's pathetic, is your inability to defend what you believe. Hand waving is no defense. Jesus didn't require his disciples to believe without seeing, so it's illogical to believe that he would require the rest of us to believe without seeing. What do you think, that Jesus was an idiot?
                                Jimbobaroony, I spent pages patiently explaining it all to you. You merely ignored it and continued to burn straw. I have no desire to continue playing into your trolling (or ignorance). If you want to feel like you have defeated Christianity because you have burned a strawman version of it, go for it. You are not fooling anyone except yourself.

Comment