Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Which Would You Personally Prefer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver
    . . . the point of my response, which was: "The text of the story doesn't say that. You got that information from external sources." Would you care to comment on that?

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    Yes. I did not know about the short story. So yes, I had to read some external sources. And yes they explicitly called that story a short story and did not use the term "novel." I used the term "novel" on the sole basis that it was a short story fiction.
    That comment has nothing to do with the main point of my response, which had nothing to do with any differences between a short story and a novel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
      That comment has nothing to do with the main point of my response, which had nothing to do with any differences between a short story and a novel.
      Please correct me if I got this wrong. The point was the mere fact of a story having a real historical element does not in of itself make that story true. Is that the argument?
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        Please correct me if I got this wrong. The point was the mere fact of a story having a real historical element does not in of itself make that story true. Is that the argument?
        No. The argument is that just because the text of a narrative says something the person telling the story doesn't mean it is reporting a fact about the person who wrote the story. In "The Man Without a Country," the narrator says he was personally acquainted with Philip Nolan. But the story's author could never have met Philip Nolan because Philip Nolan was only a product of his imagination. Also, the narrator identifies himself as a former naval officer named Frederic Ingham. The story's actual author was named Edward Everett Hale, and he apparently never served in the Navy or any other military service.

Comment

No. The argument is that just because the text of a narrative says something the person telling the story doesn't mean it is reporting a fact about the person who wrote the story. In "The Man Without a Country," the narrator says he was personally acquainted with Philip Nolan. But the story's author could never have met Philip Nolan because Philip Nolan was only a product of his imagination. Also, the narrator identifies himself as a former naval officer named Frederic Ingham. The story's actual author was named Edward Everett Hale, and he apparently never served in the Navy or any other military service.
          Ok. How does that discredit the truth of the gospel narratives, the connecting historical elements or the authorship identified for them?
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Ok. How does that discredit the truth of the gospel narratives
            It doesn't, and it wasn't supposed to. It was supposed to discredit your claim that a disciple of Jesus must have written one of the gospels because "All the full copies of the gospel according Matthew identify them as Matthew's account."

Comment

It doesn't, and it wasn't supposed to. It was supposed to discredit your claim that a disciple of Jesus must have written one of the gospels because "All the full copies of the gospel according Matthew identify them as Matthew's account."
              So then it discredits the argument I made, not that Matthew was the author of the work.

Comment

So then it discredits the argument I made, not that Matthew was the author of the work.
                If I have no good reason to believe Matthew was the author, then I don't need to discredit his authorship. I am under no obligation to believe whatever you say unless I can disprove it.

Comment

Oh. What is the basis that it [the first gospel] is known to be by Matthew [Levi]?

Comment

Wow.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

If I have no good reason to believe Matthew was the author, then I don't need to discredit his authorship. I am under no obligation to believe whatever you say unless I can disprove it.
                      Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Wow.
                      For the record, the Matthew account was considered the first of the gospel accounts to have been written up until the late 18th century.

Comment

For the record, the Matthew account was considered the first of the gospel accounts to have been written up until the late 18th century.
                        For what reason was it so considered?

Comment

It is not considered the first of the gospel accounts now, by virtually universal consensus among biblical scholars for reasons given previously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            It is not considered the first of the gospel accounts now, by virtually universal consensus among biblical scholars for reasons given previously.
                            From the perspective that the disciple and Apostle Matthew did write it, those modern scholars would be wrong. So what do those modern scholars got which makes that not possible?

Comment

So what do those modern scholars got which makes that not possible?
                              Nothing, and they don't need it. Nobody needs to prove that he couldn't have written it. We need a good reason to believe he did write it. You haven't shown us one yet. And you're not going to, are you?

Comment

Nothing, and they don't need it. Nobody needs to prove that he couldn't have written it. We need a good reason to believe he did write it. You haven't shown us one yet. And you're not going to, are you?
                                That church that received the original Greek edition of it knew who it was from. And the copies identified Matthew as the writer.

Comment