Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The �Sermons� of Jordan Peterson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    . . .

There are no well-known intellectuals in Christianity today. The purported ones like Plantinga, Craig, Zacharias, and Moreland all have some kind of weird controversy in their pasts in which they stumbled on this issue. Heck, you even have R.C. Sproul who has affirmed his belief in young earth.
    So Craig is not well known in your list.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      So Craig is not well known in your list.
      Read the 2nd sentence again.

Comment

The Flood myth is pretty foundational as a story, but MacArthur gets it wrong almost immediately. He says that anyone who calls it local essentially calls God a liar:
        I have been a Christian for over 40 years and have been recognized by two Baptist churches as a Christian. I certainly do not call God a liar by interpreting Genesis differently than Jorge. So MacArthur is not scripture and he can be wrong.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Don't play the fool. It is quite possible to lack interest in something you know you will not agree with based on other things than fear.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            I don't want to hear it because he is not a Christian preacher, and therefore what he preaches is not important to me.
            Lemme tell you something. If that was a local flood, then God didn't tell him the truth...Has there ever been another local flood? Of course, there are plenty of local floods. It was a lie if the flood was local. There have been tens of thousands of local floods. We read about 'em all the time. We're gonna read about some this spring, in which people will die...When God said, "I'm making a promise never, ever to destroy people again in a flood like this," He couldn't have been referring to a local flood. That happens all the time...

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              Don't play the fool. It is quite possible to lack interest in something you know you will not agree with based on other things than fear.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                I have been a Christian for over 40 years and have been recognized by two Baptist churches as a Christian. I certainly do not call God a liar by interpreting Genesis differently than Jorge. So MacArthur is not scripture and he can be wrong.

Comment

Please show me the quote where I used the words "fear or "afraid" or anything like them.

Otherwise you are a liar.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

And yet you seem to think that the foolish accusation of being afraid is fine for you to use against her. Can you spell hypocrisy? (Inverse fear - now that is foolish)

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      Please show me the quote where I used the words "fear or "afraid" or anything like them.

Otherwise you are a liar.

Comment

The thought of you being afraid never crossed my mind. I meant, and the passage in Timothy points it out, that you and others will not endure sound doctrine because it doesn't fit your idea of what should be preached in churches. You aren't interested in what scripture says.

I should have known you were simply trolling.

So everything you said about me using the word fear was a lie, and now you admit it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Churches are about:
                          1. Worshiping God
                          2. Fellowship with other Christians
                          3. Spreading the Gospel
                          4. Teaching morals and life lessons and the teachings of Jesus (sermons)

If you want intellectually stimulating, you should go to a seminary. Although most churches do usually have more in-depth bible studies in small groups or on Wednesdays.
                          This is roughly my view. I think it has to do with concession to the size of churches today compared to 2000-ish years ago, and to the (spoken or otherwise) demands that a full service fit into 90 minutes or less.

See above. I don't really know how things work in "traditional" or "mainline" churches, but in the churches I've attended, there is often "Sunday School" before the main service, and a mid-week "Bible study." Those tend to be more in-depth. The "main" service is geared to a more "general" audience that wants to get in and out in 90 minutes or less.
                          Last edited by NorrinRadd; 03-02-2018, 07:12 PM.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The Flood myth is pretty foundational as a story
                            Christians don't build their faith upon the historicity of the Flood but rather on Christ's message of redemption and salvation.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              You know, you are starting to sound less like a Russian and more like a caveman.

Me Tarzan! Tarzan like Jane!
                              Third person is interesting experiment!
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

They might toss out a few facts and opinions but they are not going to give a TED talk on the matter in a Sunday morning sermon. You were talking about indepth intellectual lectures.

Comment