Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Empiricism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
    Would you agree with something like this definition of evidence: 'X is evidence for Z if it is something that makes belief in Z more rational and reasonable' ?

Comment

• Well I'm glad to hear that you are open to the God of scripture.

Belief in a Deity fits this model only in the sense that it is a tool used by Clergy to control their flock. It is a psychological method (theory) for producing conversions (facts). It works as long as you give it money.
      Really FF, this is inane - even for you.

The cost of religious tax exemptions in the USA was recently estimated to be 71 Billion Dollars yearly. It is an industrial scale psychological experiment.
      That is because we have a First Amendment i.e. freedom of religion. And the power to tax is the power to control.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        And yes we learn a lot from the night sky - foremost the power and majesty of our Creator.
        Yes indeed, the Universe is incomprehensibly majestic and yet, even though we are the tiniest speck by comparison, we have the equally majestic ability to comprehend what we see. It is astonishing what mindless atoms can do.

Comment

Well I'm glad to hear that you are open to the God of scripture.
          But I do not think you can ignore the following two thousand years of social and scientific development up to the present day. There are cracks appearing.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            But I do not think you can ignore the following two thousand years of social and scientific development up to the present day. There are cracks appearing.
            Really? Where?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Yes indeed, the Universe is incomprehensibly majestic and yet, even though we are the tiniest speck by comparison, we have the equally majestic ability to comprehend what we see. It is astonishing what mindless atoms can do.
              This is the bottom line FF. I say that the universe proves or points to a Rational source. What do you say it points to - a non-rational source?

Comment

This is the bottom line FF. I say that the universe proves or points to a Rational source. What do you say it points to - a non-rational source?

Comment

Really? Where?

Comment

Ah! So you are joking.
                    No, I am quite serious. I don't mind you ignoring most of my post but I would still like for you to explain what's so good about the average person "thinking for themselves".
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Our lives are so short on the cosmic scale that it is practically futile to worry about much beyond our local circumstances and what we want to cook for dinner...
                      Sure, then let's be more selfish and cruel - if it gets us what we want.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        No, I am quite serious. I don't mind you ignoring most of my post but I would still like for you to explain what's so good about the average person "thinking for themselves".

Comment

Sure, then let's be more selfish and cruel - if it gets us what we want.
                          If that was our true nature, why would we have written The Bible and many other great works of life affirming literature? The story of the fall is about our aspiration to be great.

Comment

• "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

If that was our true nature, why would we have written The Bible and many other great works of life affirming literature? The story of the fall is about our aspiration to be great.
                              The story of the Fall is about what happens when Sapiens Manboons decide thinking for themselves is a good idea.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Because FF, there my be something more than mere nature informing our ethical reasoning.

Comment