Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do you believe in zombies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Zombies are not alive. They are mindless walking dead (or "undead"). Merely reanimated bodies. IOW, once again you manage to be not just wrong but, to loosely paraphrase Asimov, wronger than wrong.
    That's some of the Haitian folklore and your movie version of zombies, it's not the original meaning of the term. The original meaning of the term came from the African slaves in Haiti who believed that their god would come after they died, gather them up from their graves, and bring them to live a heavenly afterlife in Africa. In otherwords, resurrect them.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      And btw CP, I care what you think every bit as much as you care what I think.
      So, you admit you're just ing.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's some of the Haitian folklore and your movie version of zombies, it's not the original meaning of the term. The original meaning of the term came from the African slaves in Haiti who believed that their god would come after they died, gather them up from their graves, and bring them to live a heavenly afterlife in Africa. In otherwords, resurrect them.
        IIRC the term described those who would not be taken to heaven but would be forced to mindlessly slave away for eternity.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Where are you getting this from? A zombie, near as I can tell, has always had negative connotations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            Where are you getting this from? A zombie, near as I can tell, has always had negative connotations.
            I have never found anything about zombies other than the Haitian version where they are allegedly reanimated corpses under the control of somebody else, like a witch doctor or magician. NEVER a positive connotation.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

source JimL or you are just asserting facts not in evidence. and before you try to say we need to search it out. [B]You are making the claim it is up to you to BACK IT UP if you refuse to back it up with your sources then you JimL are guilty of blasphemy here and trying to get away with it.
              Last edited by RumTumTugger; 12-31-2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                source JimL or you are just asserting facts not in evidence. and before you try to say we need to search it out. [B]You are making the claim it is up to you to BACK IT UP if you refuse to back it up with your sources then you JimL are guilty of blasphemy here and trying to get away with it.
                Um, I think he's partially correct here - as Rogue pointed out, he has it backwards. But I think he's right that there is such a tradition - sorry, zombie lore hasn't been a study of mine... yet...
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Um, I think he's partially correct here - as Rogue pointed out, he has it backwards. But I think he's right that there is such a tradition - sorry, zombie lore hasn't been a study of mine... yet...
                  You haven't lived til you've stayed in a creepy hotel at the bottom of a mountain in Cap Haitian, Haiti while voodoo ceremonies are going on up on the mountain, and you can see their fires and hear their chants in the middle of the night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    You haven't lived til you've stayed in a creepy hotel at the bottom of a mountain in Cap Haitian, Haiti while voodoo ceremonies are going on up on the mountain, and you can see their fires and hear their chants in the middle of the night.
                    I think I'll forego living then...
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I think I'll forego living then...
                      The saddest thing, though, is that we worked a clinic while we were there, and mothers would bring their weak and dying babies to the clinic. In many cases, it was just hydration that they needed, because mothers were told by the witch doctors that evil spirits were in their breast milk, and they couldn't nurse their babies without transferring the demons.

I didn't see any zombies in Haiti when I was there, but I sure heard stories from people who claimed that they did.

Comment

The saddest thing, though, is that we worked a clinic while we were there, and mothers would bring their weak and dying babies to the clinic. In many cases, it was just hydration that they needed, because mothers were told by the witch doctors that evil spirits were in their breast milk, and they couldn't nurse their babies without transferring the demons.

I didn't see any zombies in Haiti when I was there, but I sure heard stories from people who claimed that they did.

Um, why didn't they get the witch doctor's to just drive out the demons? Surely 'leave demons in your body' wasn't their first plan?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Um, why didn't they get the witch doctor's to just drive out the demons? Surely 'leave demons in your body' wasn't their first plan?
                          I can't explain it all, but it's all about control. As I understood it (this has been 30+ years ago) the witch doctors needed 'persuasion' to help the people - kinda like stories about selling indulgences. In Haiti, we were often asked by the locals "are you Christian or Catholic".

In the region where we worked, Catholicism and Voodoo were pretty much woven together. It was really weird. Supposedly, the French, in particular, used Catholicism blended with Voodoo to control the people. I saw flavors of this in New Orleans, as well.

Comment

I can't explain it all, but it's all about control. As I understood it (this has been 30+ years ago) the witch doctors needed 'persuasion' to help the people - kinda like stories about selling indulgences. In Haiti, we were often asked by the locals "are you Christian or Catholic".

In the region where we worked, Catholicism and Voodoo were pretty much woven together. It was really weird. Supposedly, the French, in particular, used Catholicism blended with Voodoo to control the people. I saw flavors of this in New Orleans, as well.
                            Okay, thanks...

Weird...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

A house divided against itself..............

False religion doesn't care about the people, just the control, as CP said.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Does anyone even care to know why I don't play zombie games or get on the zombie train etc and its very blasphemous when referencing the

Resurrection. Zombies stem are originally believed to be a chosen victim who willfully possesses a spirit and gives the spirit a permanent home doing it's bidding vudun hoodoo voodoo. Its a channeling and desire

To be possessed there is no way to redeem this. And when using it to reference the 1st resurrection it is nothing but blasphemous.
                                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                                George Bernard Shaw

Comment