Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do you believe in zombies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, yeah, not "climbed out", but came out, were raised, etc....

But you reminded me of JimL's assertion.... (bolding mine)

He is not only wrong about
    • the "zombie" factor,
    • but about Paul claiming they were seen of the 500 plus,
    • the 'chatting with locals'
    • the "climbing out of their graves",
    • the "prior to the resurrection of Jesus"...

The only thing he got right was "I don't know, I could be wrong about that"
    Well, yes. After all, there is no Old Testament record of anyone being raised from the dead ... oh wait, there was.
    But there's no New Testament record of anyone being raised from the dead before Jesus was ... oh wait, there was - a bloke by the name of Lazarus.

ETA: I haven't checked, but the earthquake bit might also be associated with the resurrection (in which case "earth quake" would be better rendered as "ground shook" - Koine doesn't make a distinction.)
    Last edited by tabibito; 12-31-2017, 08:43 AM.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post

So, do you believe in zombies, do long dead people resurrect fully intact? And why is this astonishing event not mentioned anywhere other than in Matthew?
      Other gospels have stories of astonishing raisings of dead. Mark has little girl, Luke has widow's son, John has Lazarus.

"But why don't each gospels have all of raising stories???????? They should have if it's true!!!!!"

There there, I know Trump is triggering big time with tax cuts, also tweets, but you need to stop being silly grinch.
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

"Like a thief in the night"? Too bad they didn't know about ninjas in that time and place. And for some insane reason, ninja makes me think Batman. Jesus is way cooler than Batman! He can sneak up on the entire world with no one suspecting it! Funny how ninjas are seen as cool when the original ninja were assassins.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
          Other gospels have stories of astonishing raisings of dead. Mark has little girl, Luke has widow's son, John has Lazarus.

Mark's and Luke's accounts record Jesus saying that Jairus' daughter wasn't dead. Luke "They laughed him to scorn, knowing that she was dead" causes a problem because the translated ειδω is a matter of seeing (they could see for themselves that); they had made an assessment based on all evidence available to them. Jesus had contrary information available even before he saw the girl. Or so it would seem.

"But why don't each gospels have all of raising stories???????? They should have if it's true!!!!!"
          It would seem that it is a matter of using different representative samples, for the most part.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Because that's what a zombie is. The zombie belief originated in Haiti by Africans brought there as slaves who thought that their god, after they had died, would come and gather them from their graves and bring them back to a heavenly life in Africa. Can you believe that? I guess people living such miserable existences can be made to believe almost anything.
            Zombies are not alive. They are mindless walking dead (or "undead"). Merely reanimated bodies. IOW, once again you manage to be not just wrong but, to loosely paraphrase Asimov, wronger than wrong.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Asimov ... "wronger than wrong"
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Zombies are not even sentient! Jesus was clearly fully functioning and ate fish with zero interest in zombie related behavior. This is highly insulting.
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  Zombies are not even sentient! Jesus was clearly fully functioning and ate fish with zero interest in zombie related behavior. This is highly insulting.
                  The "zombie" comment has repeatedly passed without complaint in other threads. Why all the so long delayed fuss?
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                    Asimov ... "wronger than wrong"
                    The concept comes from the following

Source: The Relativity of Wrong

When people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.

© Copyright Original Source

In 2006 Michael Shermer turned it into what he calls "Asimov's axiom" and these are influenced by Wolfgang Pauli's famous statement "Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig; es ist nicht einmal falsch!" ("It is not only not right, it is not even wrong").

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      This is a steaming load of horsie poo, Jim. You are incredibly dishonest and disingenuous here. To Mossy's point, you don't give a flying flip what anybody actually thinks about this, which is why you use "zombies" in the title, and do everything you can to make it look like a zombie movie. Your phrase "climb out of their graves" is a purposeful distortion of the actual text, with which you obviously are not familiar.
                      As I mentioned last month

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        The concept comes from the following

Source: The Relativity of Wrong

When people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.

© Copyright Original Source

In 2006 Michael Shermer turned it into what he calls "Asimov's axiom" and these are influenced by Wolfgang Pauli's famous statement "Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig; es ist nicht einmal falsch!" ("It is not only not right, it is not even wrong").
                        Ah .. that's who made the "not only" comment.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          As I mentioned last month ... There are some who suggest that the saints did not literally come back to life, so Michael Licona for instance, suggested that Matthew had changed genre in this passage to one of apocalyptic metaphor. I, personally, don't find that very convincing, but there are those who agree with him, and he's not the first to have suggested something like that.
                          Most literally - their bodies (σωματα) were roused/caused-to-recover [from death] (or perhaps "revivified," to give an accurate portrayal). "don't find that very convincing" seems polite. Particularly if the claim that Paul affirms Matthew's record is correct.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            My argument has been said.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                              The "zombie" comment has repeatedly passed without complaint in other threads. Why all the so long delayed fuss?
                              We have never allowed the term when referring to Christ.

Jim started this thread knowing full well that we consider it blasphemy.

If you are aware of other places on the site where Jesus is called a zombie, please report them and they will be dealt with.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                                We have never allowed the term when referring to Christ.

Jim started this thread knowing full well that we consider it blasphemy.

If you are aware of other places on the site where Jesus is called a zombie, please report them and they will be dealt with.
                                Apologies - I see that the word was censored from the posts (2015, the late lamentable Gary) some time after I saw them.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment