Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do you believe in zombies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    I'm just including this so I don't have to repeat it. I realize you're answering quite a few people at this point so I don't expect you to answer every post.

Jim, Jesus isn't contradicting Himself - or anyone else. Jesus isn't speaking literally - any more than when Romans referred to Caligula as Caesar they were literally assuming that Julius Caesar was returned as Caligula.

This is similar - Elijah here is almost a title instead of a name. The reference is figurative - Jesus is NOT claiming that John the Baptist is Elijah reincarnated - the passages you cite don't support that reading.

Ancients use symbolism in language a lot more than we do - probably because they didn't have TV (not being factitious - the advent of television has changed language significantly - as movies did originally). It helps them visualize and retain the information.

It's so common in ancient texts that to assume the Scripture is meant to be literal at all times crosses the border into absurdity. Modern speech doesn't approach that level of literalism, not even in highly technical writing (which will use simile in rare cases). Jesus makes extensive use of symbolism (vines, seeds, weeds, sheep, goats, pearls, vipers, swine, et al), hyperbole (pulling out eyes, cutting off limbs) and figurative references (yeast for teaching) - there's no justification for the assumption that these passages are intended literally - and in fact, one passage itself refutes the literal reading.

Only if the passages are literal - which they aren't - could the argument for contradiction be made. The correct reading is that John the Baptist assumes the mantle (role) of Elijah to fulfill the prophesy that the coming of the Lord would be heralded by a prophet.

You and Tab have lost me on this one - that 'Elijah' was to come is clearly OT prophesy so I'm unsure why he needs the reference. As Elisha assumed the mantle, so to does John the Baptist - there's no problem with this fulfillment not being either resurrection or reincarnation (and that last one is NOT Scriptural).
    the "Elijah who was to come" would not necessarily mean Elijah himself, but it might; so it becomes advisable to see if the OT prophecy would either lend or deny support for the contention that it does mean Elijah himself. In all likelihood, it would prove to be neutral.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      the "Elijah who was to come" would not necessarily mean Elijah himself, but it might; so it becomes advisable to see if the OT prophecy would either lend or deny support for the contention that it does mean Elijah himself. In all likelihood, it would prove to be neutral.
      Okay, I wasn't sure if you wanted the wording or were questioning the origin.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Reincarnation is not a Judeo-Christian concept. At all. I see right through your disingenuousness, Jim (just like everyone else, 'cause no one is buying what you're selling). You're not this stupid; your obtuseness must be deliberate.
        I wouldn't make a bet on that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I wouldn't make a bet on that.
          And yet you still believe in demons and spirits and fairies.
          Last edited by JimL; 01-12-2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            And yet you still believe in demons and spirits and fairies.
            Returning to your vomit, I see.
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Hypocritical as usual I see. Trying looking at the post i responded to. If you can't take it, then don't mete it out.

Comment

But the vomit is just so compelling.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  But the vomit is just so compelling.
                  Must've been some good stuff - it's making him see things that aren't there.
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Must've been some good stuff - it's making him see things that aren't there.
                    Returning to your vomit I see.

Comment

Returning to your vomit I see.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        You and Tab have lost me on this one - that 'Elijah' was to come is clearly OT prophesy so I'm unsure why he needs the reference. As Elisha assumed the mantle, so to does John the Baptist - there's no problem with this fulfillment not being either resurrection or reincarnation (and that last one is NOT Scriptural).
                        Matthew 17:10; Mark 9:11 No mentions of a prophecy in these texts, only expert legal opinions are cited. Accordingly, I am seeking confirmation of JimL's claim that there is a prophecy specifying, explicitly, that Elijah himself was to come.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Hey now, don't knock his best arguments.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                            Matthew 17:10; Mark 9:11 No mentions of a prophecy in these texts, only expert legal opinions are cited. Accordingly, I am seeking confirmation of JimL's claim that there is a prophecy specifying, explicitly, that Elijah himself was to come.
                            Jesus answers them. "But I tell you Elijah has come, and they did to him whatever they pleased, as it is written of them." Now, there is no reason for the prophets to have said that Elijah will come, and there is no reason for Jesus to say that [B]Elijah has come,[/QUOTE] unless they are indeed speaking specifically of Elijah.

Comment

Jesus answers them. "But I tell you Elijah has come, and they did to him whatever they pleased, as it is written of them." Now, there is no reason for the prophets to have said that Elijah will come, and there is no reason for Jesus to say that [B]Elijah has come, unless they are indeed speaking specifically of Elijah.
                              Unless, of course, Jesus was speaking metaphorically of Elijah when referring to John the Baptist, as those who were actually there understood.

Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jesus answers them. "But I tell you Elijah has come, and they did to him whatever they pleased, as it is written of them." Now, there is no reason for the prophets to have said that Elijah will come, and there is no reason for Jesus to say that Elijah has come, unless they are indeed speaking specifically of Elijah.
                                So where are they recorded as having done so, JimL? It is not written (according to that statement) that "they will do whatever they pleased to Elijah himself."
                                The way that Jesus' response is worded doesn't eliminate the possibility that he is using "Elijah" as {FOR EXAMPLE} a reference to the holder of an office: anyone who acts as the forerunner might be termed Elijah. If there is no prophecy that Elijah himself will return - it is highly probable that he won't.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment