Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do you believe in zombies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Um, I think he's partially correct here - as Rogue pointed out, he has it backwards. But I think he's right that there is such a tradition - sorry, zombie lore hasn't been a study of mine... yet...
    Hmm. I don't know. Wikipedia states the following:
    "The zombie belief has its roots in traditions brought to Haiti by enslaved Africans, and their subsequent experiences in the New World. It was thought that the voodoo deity Baron Samedi would gather them from their grave to bring them to a heavenly afterlife in Africa ("Guinea"), unless they had offended him in some way, in which case they would be forever a slave after death, as a zombie. A zombie could also be saved by feeding them salt. A number of scholars have pointed out the significance of the zombie figure as a metaphor for the history of slavery in Haiti."

Sounds rather negative to me. Assuming JimL is using Wikipedia as a source, the source of the the zombie concept isn't being brought to a heavenly afterlife in Africa, but the actual enslavement after death for offending Baron Samedi. The source for the Wikipedia quote is a New York Times article called "A Zombie Is a Slave Forever" and it says,

It does sound like what roque was saying, but seems the very opposite of what JimL was proposing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      It does sound like what roque was saying, but seems the very opposite of what JimL was proposing.
      Let's see... credibility... Rogue.. JimL...
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

False religion doesn't care about the people, just the control, as CP said.

Comment

• Yet, here you are, spewing forth your anti-Christian rantings with impunity on a site owned by Christians. Somebody outta get the comfy chair!

tt13.jpg
          Last edited by Cow Poke; 12-31-2017, 11:49 PM.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            A house divided against itself..............

False religion doesn't care about the people, just the control, as CP said.
            That wasn't what I was asking - what mindset starves the baby to avoid demonic influence but accepts demonic forces remaining in their own bodies? I see CP's point about the politics - I don't get why that works when it's danged near contradictory.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              Hmm. I don't know. Wikipedia states the following:
              "The zombie belief has its roots in traditions brought to Haiti by enslaved Africans, and their subsequent experiences in the New World. It was thought that the voodoo deity Baron Samedi would gather them from their grave to bring them to a heavenly afterlife in Africa ("Guinea"), unless they had offended him in some way, in which case they would be forever a slave after death, as a zombie. A zombie could also be saved by feeding them salt. A number of scholars have pointed out the significance of the zombie figure as a metaphor for the history of slavery in Haiti."

Sounds rather negative to me. Assuming JimL is using Wikipedia as a source, the source of the the zombie concept isn't being brought to a heavenly afterlife in Africa, but the actual enslavement after death for offending Baron Samedi. The source for the Wikipedia quote is a New York Times article called "A Zombie Is a Slave Forever" and it says,

Um, yeah - like I said, Jim has it backwards but the basic premise about how the tradition began is correct.

Originally Posted by JimL
              That's some of the Haitian folklore and your movie version of zombies, it's not the original meaning of the term. The original meaning of the term came from the African slaves in Haiti who believed that their god would come after they died, gather them up from their graves, and bring them to live a heavenly afterlife in Africa. In otherwords, resurrect them.

Now, he goes further and concludes this is a form of resurrection - I wouldn't agree but there is a different view of the term clearly in use so while I don't agree, I see where he has a point and is at least partially correct. This seems to me that he's confusing those who get to go to Heaven/Africa with the condemned that became zombies/slaves but as he has the former in use, I can't see that it is blasphemous.

But if he ever uses zombie in a thread title again, I'm gonna mail him a case of kitty poop...
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Yet, here you are, spewing forth your anti-Christian rantings with impunity on a site owned by Christians. Somebody outta get the comfy chair!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post

I believe it says that the saints were resurrected prior to Jesus, they didn't come out of their graves, or tombs if you like, until after Jesus resurrection.
                  If division of the passage into two sentences were correct, it would be possible.

Matthew has written an aside in this passage, but it will take time to complete a textual analysis, and then compare my findings with secondary sources (peer reviewed scholarly discourses) to see what I missed. I also have to consider how the answer might impact on assignment submissions for my next round of Uni subjects, which includes the synoptic gospels.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    IIRC the term described those who would not be taken to heaven but would be forced to mindlessly slave away for eternity.
                    Yes, but they are not the flesh eating mindless beings as portrayed in the movies, they are the dead and buried having been resurrected just as they are in christianity. The only difference is that the good resurrected go on to live a heavenly existence and the others go on to live in eternal slavery.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      The saddest thing, though, is that we worked a clinic while we were there, and mothers would bring their weak and dying babies to the clinic. In many cases, it was just hydration that they needed, because mothers were told by the witch doctors that evil spirits were in their breast milk, and they couldn't nurse their babies without transferring the demons.

I didn't see any zombies in Haiti when I was there, but I sure heard stories from people who claimed that they did.
                      I agree, it's a terrible thing to convince naive people that demons occupy their bodies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Um, why didn't they get the witch doctor's to just drive out the demons? Surely 'leave demons in your body' wasn't their first plan?
                        My guess is that they probably did drive out demons, but demons can always return, if they didn't then the witch doctors would be out of business.

Comment

I agree, it's a terrible thing to convince naive people that demons occupy their bodies.
                          Haiti is rooted in the idea of posession and channeling spirits. and you sat there and made a rotten argument for what? when children need attachment fluid understand how to nurse etc, yet Haiti remains convinced that natural occurrences are connected to hexes evil spirits and so forth. I suggest you take a look at how its done.
                          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                            If division of the passage into two sentences were correct, it would be possible.

Matthew has written an aside in this passage, but it will take time to complete a textual analysis, and then compare my findings with secondary sources (peer reviewed scholarly discourses) to see what I missed. I also have to consider how the answer might impact on assignment submissions for my next round of Uni subjects, which includes the synoptic gospels.
                            According to my reading of the texts the saints were resurrected when Jesus died, prior even to his burial. Apparently they didn't come out of their graves/tombs until a second earthquake when Jesus himself resurrected. I just wonder why it apparently took 3 days for Jesus to resurrect. But one of the main questions I had in all of this is, do christians believe that their physical bodies will be resurrected like the saints and Jesus, or is it just a spiritual resurrection. This passage would suggest it is physical and I have yet to actually have seen anyone physically emerge from their grave. Do ya'll think we will all pop up at once at the judgement time or something like that.

Comment

According to my reading of the texts the saints were resurrected when Jesus died, prior even to his burial.
                              Could you please provide this "text"? Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                Try addressing the issue for a change instead of whining.
                                Noting that you have the freedom on a Christian run website to spew forth your anti-Christian rantings is "whining?" What a drama queen.

Comment