Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Morality or Obedience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Well that's just silly Jed. There was recently a thread discussing whether or not Thomas Jefferson was a christian or not, and though he implied that he was in a sense a christian, I said that no he wasn't a christian. So, you're wrong. Christians don't all believe the same things, so when Sparko says Christians are the majority of the western civilization, and so their morality is the only one that counts, it doesn't mean very much, because christians don't all agree on what is moral and what is not, just like Thomas Jefferson didn't agree with much that was in the bible.
    And I called you on the same dishonesty in that thread.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      They do Tassy. Christians are the majority of the western civilization and so our morality is only one that counts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        And I called you on the same dishonesty in that thread.
        Jed, I was consistent in both cases. I said that Thomas Jefferson was not a christian and similarly I said that not all people who claim to be christians are actually christians in the sense that they hold to the same moral principles. Jefferson wasn't a christian because to him Jesus was not christ, was not god. But here we were talking christian morality, not a belief in christ, and my point is that not all christians hold to the same morality. So again, when Sparko said that christian morality is all that counts, he's not speaking for all christians. Thats the point I was making. Now, you should give yourself a warning for calling me a liar. Having an opinion that differs from your own does not a liar make.

Comment

Depends on who you are calling Christians, most Christians are christian in name only and couldn't give a damn what the church thinks. How many christians do you suppose are pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, etc.?
          As you are just another immoral deviant, anything you say is suspect and can be ignored by the majority of decent moral people like myself.

This idea of majority social moralism is great.

Comment

• I don't really care what a moral degenerate like you thinks or prefers because you are the immoral minority. Only the morals that the bible teaches count because society is overwhelmingly Christian. Even the Hindus, Muslims, and Jews agree on most of the morals that Christianity do. And since atheists like yourself are less than 10% of the population, your ideas of morality don't count. According to your and JimL's own standards even. Thanks.

Comment

As you are just another immoral deviant, anything you say is suspect and can be ignored by the majority of decent moral people like myself.

This idea of majority social moralism is great.
              So you've resorted to the childish behavior of covering your ears and shouting nah, nah, nah, nah. The point you don't get is that religion is only tool of enforcement, you know, gods gonna get you if your bad, or reward you if your good. Athiests in general hold to the same moral principles as do religious people, it's just that they don't need the idea in their head that god is always watching them in order that they do the right thing.

Comment

So you've resorted to the childish behavior of covering your ears and shouting nah, nah, nah, nah. The point you don't get is that religion is only tool of enforcement, you know, gods gonna get you if your bad, or reward you if your good. Athiests in general hold to the same moral principles as do religious people, it's just that they don't need the idea in their head that god is always watching them in order that they do the right thing.
                JimL I am only going by YOUR standard of morality. I can't help it if you are now seeing the flaw in your own system, you moral degenerate. There is no right or wrong except what the majority decides. Since you are in the minority that makes you evil.

Comment

JimL I am only going by YOUR standard of morality. I can't help it if you are now seeing the flaw in your own system, you moral degenerate. There is no right or wrong except what the majority decides. Since you are in the minority that makes you evil.
                  Well of course you're just being silly. But if thats the game you want to play, the question then becomes, which christians are right and which are wrong in their moral stances?

Comment

Well of course you're just being silly. But if thats the game you want to play, the question then becomes, which christians are right and which are wrong in their moral stances?
                    The majority of course.

Comment

The majority of course.
                      Ha, there is no majority that agrees with each and every moral issue.

Comment

Ha, there is no majority that agrees with each and every moral issue.
                        Well then each issue is determined by it's own majority. duh.

Comment

Well then each issue is determined by it's own majority. duh.
                          Exactly my point. So your original assertion about majority christian morality in western civilization being the only thing that counts made no sense.

Comment

Exactly my point. So your original assertion about majority christian morality in western civilization being the only thing that counts made no sense.
                            Christians agree on most morals though Jim. We even agree with Jews, Hindus and Muslims on most issues. Such as abortion is immoral. Stealing is immoral. Murder is immoral. Homosexuality is immoral. Being an atheist is immoral.

Sure there are a minority of liberal Christians who might disagree, but they don't count because they are the minority. see?

Of course as an immoral basket of deporables, Atheists cannot grasp that they are evil incarnate.

Comment

Christians agree on most morals though Jim. We even agree with Jews, Hindus and Muslims on most issues. Such as abortion is immoral. Stealing is immoral. Murder is immoral. Homosexuality is immoral. Being an atheist is immoral.

Sure there are a minority of liberal Christians who might disagree, but they don't count because they are the minority. see?

Of course as an immoral basket of deporables, Atheists cannot grasp that they are evil incarnate.
                              It's hilarious that the ad populum fallacy isn't of any help to atheists.
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Jed, I was consistent in both cases. I said that Thomas Jefferson was not a christian and similarly I said that not all people who claim to be christians are actually christians in the sense that they hold to the same moral principles. Jefferson wasn't a christian because to him Jesus was not christ, was not god. But here we were talking christian morality, not a belief in christ, and my point is that not all christians hold to the same morality. So again, when Sparko said that christian morality is all that counts, he's not speaking for all christians. Thats the point I was making. Now, you should give yourself a warning for calling me a liar. Having an opinion that differs from your own does not a liar make.
                                You were consistent in those two cases because it served your ends. I will drop this because I am not willing to go through your past swill to show where you have claimed just the opposite.
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment