Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Morality or Obedience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    It is - and I agree that we cannot know the qualia experience of another person, let alone another species. Tass may be confusing "qualia" with "cognition" and the ability to reason and be self-aware.
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...6098221200320X

Comment

• Tass you are completely missing the point, it is not whether animals have subjective experience, but what exactly that experience is like for them. Or for us personally. Let me give an example. Two men witness a bad accident, both men tell you that it was terrible and that they feel for the families. One man is honest, the other is a psychopath who could care less but says all the right things to fit it - which man is which? How can you tell? Only by self-reporting...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        Right, not only that, I could not even be sure that you experience things the way I do.
        Yes, but only if in order to be sure, you must have eliminated any possibility of being mistaken. I think we can justifiably claim to be sure about a lot of things that we cannot be absolutely certain about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
          Yes, but only if in order to be sure, you must have eliminated any possibility of being mistaken. I think we can justifiably claim to be sure about a lot of things that we cannot be absolutely certain about.
          But you can never be sure about my subjective experience unless I self-report.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• I see. So you're suggesting there is a methodology to determine whether or not another animal experiences qualia - not what the qualia actually is. It's an interesting experiment, and it seems, at first blush, it might be possible. It all hinges, however, on their interpretation of the animal's behavior.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

But you can never be sure about my subjective experience unless I self-report.
              I cannot even be sure about the experiences if you DO self report.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I cannot even be sure about the experiences if you DO self report.
                Right, I could be lying.

Comment

Tass you are completely missing the point, it is not whether animals have subjective experience, but what exactly that experience is like for them. Or for us personally. Let me give an example. Two men witness a bad accident, both men tell you that it was terrible and that they feel for the families. One man is honest, the other is a psychopath who could care less but says all the right things to fit it - which man is which? How can you tell? Only by self-reporting...
                  Actually - you can't tell at all...

Comment

I see. So you're suggesting there is a methodology to determine whether or not another animal experiences qualia - not what the qualia actually is. It's an interesting experiment, and it seems, at first blush, it might be possible. It all hinges, however, on their interpretation of the animal's behavior.
                    Yes, it does rely on the interpretation of the animal's behaviour but this is not impossible. Especially as, to a lesser degree, our understanding of the experiential qualia of our fellow humans also hinges on our interpretation of their behaviour...although we have the advantage of language.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      Yes, it does rely on the interpretation of the animal's behaviour but this is not impossible. Especially as, to a lesser degree, our understanding of the experiential qualia of our fellow humans also hinges on our interpretation of their behaviour...although we have the advantage of language.
                      Answer this Tass:Two men witness a bad accident, both men tell you that it was terrible and that they feel for the families. One man is honest, the other is a psychopath who could care less but says all the right things to fit it - which man is which? How can you tell?

There is no way you can know what a monkey's subjective experience is like, you can not even know ours...

Comment

Tass, our "understanding" of the experiential qualia of another human being is based on language, observed behavior, and our own experience of qualia! We are looking for language and behavior that suggests that the other person is internally experiencing what we are experiencing, or something similar. But there is no way for one person to experience as another experiences. It's simply not possible. Even if we could find a way to transfer our "mind" into their "body," our mind would bring with it our experiences and history, which would inevitably color our experience in a way that would be different from what the other experiences. If we could somehow "project" what another is experiencing (holography?), we would have an internal experience of the projected reality.

So I have to concur with Seer - whether or not another being experiences qualia may be something we can determine - but another being's actual experience of qualia is not available to us.

Comment

So I have to concur with Seer
                          And the clouds parted and the heavens opened!!!!

Comment

And the clouds parted and the heavens opened!!!!

Once in a while...you're actually right!

Comment

Tass, our "understanding" of the experiential qualia of another human being is based on language, observed behavior, and our own experience of qualia! We are looking for language and behavior that suggests that the other person is internally experiencing what we are experiencing, or something similar. But there is no way for one person to experience as another experiences. It's simply not possible. Even if we could find a way to transfer our "mind" into their "body," our mind would bring with it our experiences and history, which would inevitably color our experience in a way that would be different from what the other experiences. If we could somehow "project" what another is experiencing (holography?), we would have an internal experience of the projected reality.
                              https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...de-waal-review
                              So I have to concur with Seer - .
                              I know from experience that Seer's objection to experiential qualia in animals is based on his religious belief that man is unique, not scientific objections. He will object to the notion whatever evidence one can provide.

whether or not another being experiences qualia may be something we can determine - but another being's actual experience of qualia is not available to us
                              We cannot be fully aware of another human's "actual experience of qualia" either, even with the advantage of language. But we can know that they experience it, just as we can know that the higher animals experience it.

Comment

I know from experience that Seer's objection to experiential qualia in animals is based on his religious belief that man is unique, not scientific objections. He will object to the notion whatever evidence one can provide.
                                Where did I ever deny that animals could have subjective experiences? What I have said and maintain, is that we can not know what those experiences are like for them.

We cannot be fully aware of another human's "actual experience of qualia" either, even with the advantage of language. But we can know that they experience it, just as we can know that the higher animals experience it.
                                Right and that is beyond science, and this is evidence that reductionism is false...

Comment