Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Free will defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    . . . and all humans sin.
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...+6&version=NIV

Comment

. . . and by the facts of human nature and history all humans remain sinners.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        So then to the extent that people sin, they aren't free? I would agree, I would only insist that people apart from Christ can do nothing but sin.

"... and whatever is not from faith is sin." (Ro 14:23)

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
          So then to the extent that people sin, they aren't free? I would agree, I would only insist that people apart from Christ can do nothing but sin.

"... and whatever is not from faith is sin." (Ro 14:23)

Blessings,
          Lee
          I disagree. virtually all people in history from all religions, and faiths and even those who do not believe anything sin, good things, great things, love, sin, and do evil stuff. That is the facts of life. There is no distinct difference between the behavior of believers from different religions.

Comment

I disagree. virtually all people in history from all religions, and faiths and even those who do not believe anything sin, good things, great things, love, sin, and do evil stuff. That is the facts of life. There is no distinct difference between the behavior of believers from different religions.
            I started another thread for this discussion...

Blessings,
            Lee
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Again, thanks Captain Obvious. But we are no longer slaves to sin, and we will be forgiven (Christians that is)

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                I'm not sure what you're asking. Jesus said to believe his testimony about himself, or believe the works he performed, two intellectual paths that lead to the same destination.
                What is it one must believe about Jesus' testimony or His works that lead to the same destination? And that destination is what and why from believing each of those two things?
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Again, thanks Captain Obvious. But we are no longer slaves to sin, and we will be forgiven (Christians that is)
                  This was not the issue concerning sin and Free Will defense that lee_merrill originally proposed.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                    Is there any way for me to know what God's way is except for some man to tell me?
                    Yes. From God Himself. Know that God has used men to both write and speak His words.

The Apostle Paul on that matter wrote: ". . . For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe. . . ." Letter to the church of Thessalonica. (1 Thessalonians 2:13.)

The Apostle John wrote, ". . . If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. . . ." (1 John 5:9.)

Jesus is cited by John to have argued, ". . . My doctrine is not mine, but His that sent Me. If any man will do His will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. . . ." (John 7:16-17.)
                    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                      Yes. From God Himself. Know that God has used men to both write and speak His words.

The Apostle Paul on that matter wrote: ". . . For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe. . . ." Letter to the church of Thessalonica. (1 Thessalonians 2:13.)

The Apostle John wrote, ". . . If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. . . ." (1 John 5:9.)

Jesus is cited by John to have argued, ". . . My doctrine is not mine, but His that sent Me. If any man will do His will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. . . ." (John 7:16-17.)
                      Doug's response is probably going to be "But those are just the claims of men. How do I know they're telling the truth?"

Of course you could say the same thing about any piece of knowledge for which you do not have first-hand experience, but skeptics seem to think this is a problem only when it comes to Christianity.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Doug's response is probably going to be "But those are just the claims of men. How do I know they're telling the truth?"

Of course you could say the same thing about any piece of knowledge for which you do not have first-hand experience, but skeptics seem to think this is a problem only when it comes to Christianity.

So what is your understanding of John 7:17? ". . . If any man will do His will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. . . ."

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                          So what is your understanding of John 7:17? ". . . If any man will do His will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. . . ."
                          I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just speculating what Doug's reply is going to be. His question was a "sucker bet" from the beginning since he can idly dismiss any response simply by saying, "Those are just the claims of men. How do I know they're telling the truth?" At the end of the day, it's a lazy excuse not believe rather than a valid reason.

Comment

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just speculating what Doug's reply is going to be. His question was a "sucker bet" from the beginning since he can idly dismiss any response simply by saying, "Those are just the claims of men. How do I know they're telling the truth?" At the end of the day, it's a lazy excuse not believe rather than a valid reason.

The issue is one of either those references are in fact the word of God. In which John 7:17 like gravity the one doing such would then know for himself. Or as from the athistic view - and there not being really any God. There would be no such affect. And besides that, one cannot do what one does not understand. Nor act on what one cannot honestly believe.

Comment

Pretty sure 37818 is a presuppositionalist, so you may end up talking past one another.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                Pretty sure 37818 is a presuppositionalist, so you may end up talking past one another.
                                Ah...

Comment