Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Redemption: Being saved or born again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

If you actually read the Bible, Jim, you'd know that, after death, there is no repenting.

Scripture Verse: Hebrews 9

27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

© Copyright Original Source

And there is no purgatory out of which somebody can rescue you.
    I thought everyone "got out" of Purgatory once they were sufficiently "purged."
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I thought everyone "got out" of Purgatory once they were sufficiently "purged."
      Ya can't get out of something that never existed.

However, I did enjoy some really good skiing at Purgatory in Colorado!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post

So, then, you're contradicting yourself. Which of your answers is the right one, the first answer you gave me, or this one?
        Your failure to understand does not create a contradiction, Jim.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Your failure to understand does not create a contradiction, Jim.
          CP, anyone can see you gave two different and opposite answer's to the same question. So which is the correct answer? Do you get to repent, at the "judgement" after you die, or is that too late?

Comment

CP, anyone can see you gave two different and opposite answer's to the same question.
            Did not. But I apologize I didn't dummy it down enough so you could understand it.

I would ask you to show me the "two different answers", but I'm sure that's beyond your cognitive ability.

So which is the correct answer? Do you get to repent, at the "judgement" after you die, or is that too late?
            Wow, such ignorance....

We are saved from our sin by what Jesus did on the cross, and our faith and trust in Him.
            If we commit a sin before we die, and do not have an opportunity to repent, we are still "covered by His blood".

There is no opportunity for repentance AFTER we die.

Now, I realize I used words with more than two syllables, so if I need to break it down further, just let me know.

Comment

So, then, you're contradicting yourself. Which of your answers is the right one, the first answer you gave me, or this one?
              The refrain to "just read the Bible" comes across as an excuse for the inability to actually address certain points that have been raised.

The other question of course being, which Bible and which translation do they have in mind?
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                The refrain to "just read the Bible" comes across as an excuse for the inability to actually address certain points that have been raised.
                Actually, darlin', I addressed the points.

The other question of course being, which Bible and which translation do they have in mind?
                PLEASE put a space between the end of your sentence and your goofy emoticon. PLEASE?

Comment

Actually, darlin', I addressed the points.
                  Which bible and which translation do you advise JimL to read?
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Which bible and which translation do you advise JimL to read?
                    He probably needs to start with one with lots of pictures, and few multi-syllable words.

my first Bible.png
                    I'll even purchase it for him and have it delivered to his door, like I did for Punkinhead (though hers was a "big girl" version).

Comment

He probably needs to start with one with lots of pictures, and few multi-syllable words.

my first Bible.png
                      I'll even purchase it for him and have it delivered to his door, like I did for Punkinhead (though hers was a "big girl" version).
                      An inane comment in reply to a serious question.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

An inane comment in reply to a serious question.
                        Actually, it was a fitting response to a nosy old biddy meddling in somebody else's business, and appropriate for Jim's lack of comprehension of anything Biblical.
                        He is, however, quite blessed to have somebody of your caliber trying to help him out of the holes he keeps digging.

Comment

Did not. But I apologize I didn't dummy it down enough so you could understand it.

I would ask you to show me the "two different answers", but I'm sure that's beyond your cognitive ability.

Wow, such ignorance....

We are saved from our sin by what Jesus did on the cross, and our faith and trust in Him.
                          If we commit a sin before we die, and do not have an opportunity to repent, we are still "covered by His blood".

There is no opportunity for repentance AFTER we die.

Now, I realize I used words with more than two syllables, so if I need to break it down further, just let me know.

JimL is confusing those who are saved and those who are not. Saved people are covered by Jesus' sacrifice for all sins, past present and future. Repentance just restores our good relationship with God. Like in a family. If you 'sin' against your parents, there is a strain on that relationship until you say you are sorry, but at no point are you in danger of being kicked out of the family.

But those who are not saved are not covered by Jesus sacrifice. Merely repenting does not save them until they accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior. And if they wait till they stand before Jesus to repent and accept him it is too late. You have to choose "sides" before you die.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            ...Repentance just restores our good relationship with God. Like in a family. If you 'sin' against your parents....
                            Here's where I like to clarify - our "relationship" is not damaged, but our "fellowship" is. Just like when I "sin" against my parents, they are still my parents and I am still their kid - that "relationship" doesn't change.
                            What does change (and I know that's what you're intending) is our "fellowship". That's what gets broken and needs to be restored.

In my opinion, anyway.

Comment

Here's where I like to clarify - our "relationship" is not damaged, but our "fellowship" is. Just like when I "sin" against my parents, they are still my parents and I am still their kid - that "relationship" doesn't change.
                              What does change (and I know that's what you're intending) is our "fellowship". That's what gets broken and needs to be restored.

In my opinion, anyway.

Comment

Actually, it was a fitting response to a nosy old biddy meddling in somebody else's business,

In case it had slipped your mind.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I am free to post anywhere on any topic any time I want.

[Scorn] Or is that only applicable to you?
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment