Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The flaws of NT-based morality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    That isn't racism.
    Perhaps tribalism might be a better term. It's certainly discrimination to have slavery apply only to other tribes.
    Was hating the Nazi's racism?
    Not the same. OT law discriminates against all non-Jews, not just against members of specific other groups.
    There weren't that many races around that area. pretty much all were semitic or arabic, and some africans. They didn't think of races like we do now. They thought of nations. They could like or dislike someone from a neighboring tribe who were the same race as they were.
    We can (and often do) do that now. But that's dislike based on individuals, which is very different from dislike based on group.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Animals that demonstrate self awareness, the ability to count and measure quantity and even have a grasp elementary geometry, have a respect for rules, evidence empathy, learn their own names and the names of others, have at least a rudimentary capacity to read (as in pattern matching), and can communicate at least a few ideas to humans are not uncommon. Even flying bundles of stupidity (aka pigeons) can do all of that.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Roy, if you think that animals have rights it is on you to demonstrate that.
        I've made no such claim.

You have claimed that animals don't have rights, and it is your onus to support that claim.

But as you've made abundantly clear over many threads, you don't do that. Instead, you spout total bollocks, then when called on it you insist that others support the counter-claim, even when they never asserted it.

Do your own leg work, you lazy hypocrite.
        Last edited by Roy; 06-28-2017, 12:13 PM.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          I've made no such claim.

You have claimed that animals don't have rights, and it is your onus to support that claim.

But as you've made abundantly clear over many threads, you don't do that. Instead, you spout total bollocks, then when called on it you insist that others support the counter-claim, even when they never asserted it.

Idiot, it was Star who first said animal had rights. I said they don't. I said that Star was making stuff up - if he can demonstrate otherwise let him. Now go back to your sand box child...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I've made no such claim.

When the lion eats the gazelle, has the lion impinged upon the gazelle's rights? When a cat plays with a mouse, are there certain rights for the mouse that the cat oversteps? In the materialist world, one devoid of the existence of any sort of all-powerful creator/s who might grant rights, wouldn't the concept of "rights" be a purely human construct? And if rights are a purely human construct under materialism, what happens when large groups of humans disagree about who should obtain certain rights? What makes a right? Does might make right?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              No it wasn't. All of Israel's Semitic neighbors generally had the same racial make up as they did (ignoring for now that "race" is a relatively modern construct). The few places we do hear of people of a likely different genetic makeup, we don't hear of the Israelites treating them any differently. Moses' wife Zipporah, the Queen of Sheba, Simon of Cyrene, Simeon who was called Niger, the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8:37, they were all likely black, yet scripture never makes a big deal of their race, and in fact views most of them positively.

As far as the treatment of foreigners living among Israelites, we get passages in scripture that calls for their equal and positive treatment,
              You've omitted the passage about treatment of indentured Hebrews vs foreign slaves.

You've also not noticed that this one:
              Scripture Verse: Leviticus 25:35

If your brother becomes impoverished and is indebted to you, you must support him; he must live with you like a foreign resident.

© Copyright Original Source

suggests that foreign residents and natives were treated differently.
              While the concept of slavery seems to us in the individualist modern West as a totally intolerable social convention, it was practiced absolutely everywhere in the ancient world, and was considered perfectly normal. The Bible's way of dealing with the subject was not condemning it outright, but by progressively showing how both the slave and the master are equals in God's eyes. I think an argument could be made that slavery was so ingrained into the social fabric of the ancient world that had the Bible condemned the institution of slavery outright, the Gospel message would never have spread across the world,...
              That argument would require as a premise that there is no god capable of spreading the message anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                To me they are two ways of saying the same thing. When I talk about human rights or animal rights I mean by those words "the right way to treat humans" and "the right way to treat animals". I am not claiming that rights exist as some sort of platonic metaphysical entity in the ether.

Same thing with rights. Animal rights mean to me nothing more or less than the standards by which it is morally right to treat animals. So I read a sentence of yours like "That because we should treat animals well does not mean that they HAVE RIGHTS!" as nonsensical because "we should treat animals well" and "they have rights" are identical statements to me. They would only be different statements if I believed in the existence of a metaphysical entity of Rights, which I don't.
                No Star, they are not the same thing. To say that something has rights is to suggest that it has intrinsic worth. That there is a non-arbitrary way in which to approach or treat them. There isn't. If I follow your logic the plants in my house have rights because I choose to treat them well.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Idiot, it was Star who first said animal had rights. I said they don't. I said that Star was making stuff up - if he can demonstrate otherwise let him. Now go back to your sand box child...
                  Rights are constructs given by (human) society. Animals have whatever rights humans want to give them. Those rights, however, only define human relations to them, so in a sense they're not animal rights at all; they only regulate human behavior.
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Idiot, it was Star who first said animal had rights.
                    No, he said that the NT was silent on the issue of animal rights. He did not say that animals had rights.
                    I said they don't.
                    And now you're doing everything you can to avoid taking responsibility for supporting your claim, while simultaneously insisting that others prove things they never said.

Hypocrite.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      When the lion eats the gazelle, has the lion impinged upon the gazelle's rights? When a cat plays with a mouse, are there certain rights for the mouse that the cat oversteps? In the materialist world, one devoid of the existence of any sort of all-powerful creator/s who might grant rights, wouldn't the concept of "rights" be a purely human construct? And if rights are a purely human construct under materialism, what happens when large groups of humans disagree about who should obtain certain rights? What makes a right? Does might make right?
                      Wow, lots of questions.

I don't think animals, or indeed humans, have rights other than any granted to them and enforced through societal agreements.
                      People who believe that there are such things as God-given rights might disagree.

Does that cover it?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Rights are constructs given by (human) society. Animals have whatever rights humans want to give them. Those rights, however, only define human relations to them, so in a sense they're not animal rights at all; they only regulate human behavior.
                        Exactly, in our country dogs have worth as pets, for instance, because we assign that worth. In China they have worth because they are food too: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...umours-8964726

Comment

NT assigns value to animals as living creatures (lesser than the value of humans), and it does cite the Old Testament with regard to its assignment of rights to certain animals - "You shall not muzzle the ox while it threshes the grain" (or words to that effect). I would be surprised if they were the only references.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Would you say this applies to humans too? That humans only have whatever rights humans decide upon?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              That isn't racism.

Was hating the Nazi's racism?
                              The Nazis were not an ethnic group, like other tribes would be.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Would you say this applies to humans too? That humans only have whatever rights humans decide upon?
                                That is correct.
                                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment