Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The flaws of NT-based morality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Are you just dense or deluded Star? The only critique you could bring against scripture would find its foundation in your relative cultural mores. Which as a launching pad for moral condemnation is meaningless.
    You seem to presuppose that scripture is something more than just relative to culture. If you read what Starlight actually points to instead of insisting that he must by definition be wrong, then you might actually start to see the point that scripture is relative to culture and the period in which it was written to a very high degree and thus is a poor guide for us today. One can simply point to the fact that it does not answer the moral questions that are relevant to us today. But I guess you will hardly allow for us to have an opinion about that either....

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Just stay in the car, Chuck.
      So you have got no answer?

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
        You seem to presuppose that scripture is something more than just relative to culture. If you read what Starlight actually points to instead of insisting that he must by definition be wrong, then you might actually start to see the point that scripture is relative to culture and the period in which it was written to a very high degree and thus is a poor guide for us today. One can simply point to the fact that it does not answer the moral questions that are relevant to us today. But I guess you will hardly allow for us to have an opinion about that either....
        It would hardly be appropriate for scripture to address matters wholly irrelevant to the time and circumstances then in play. But which moral questions does it not address, at least to the point of allowing an adaptation of those that it does address? Keeping in mind of course that moral issues are only peripheral to its intent.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

So you are giving up the idea of objective morality Charles?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

So you have got no answer?
            In the car. Stay.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
              Can you name one such skeptic, and identify the publication in which the argument appears?
              I'm referring to informal conversations and debates I've had and various skeptical articles I've read over the past couple of decades. I've not done a formal survey or anything like that.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

In the car. Stay.
                I don't see a car. I see a rather simple question that you left unanswered... Talking like that does nothing to help you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I'm referring to informal conversations and debates I've had and various skeptical articles I've read over the past couple of decades. I've not done a formal survey or anything like that.
                  So you can name no such skeptic and identify no publication in which the argument appears?

Comment

I don't see a car. I see a rather simple question that you left unanswered... Talking like that does nothing to help you.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                      So you are giving up the idea of objective morality Charles?
                      Nope. And that does not follow. But once again you are using a cheap trick in order to avoid the points. It's becoming way too obvious, seer.

Comment

Sparko, it is not worthy of you to behave like that and you know it. Why don't you just answer the question?

Comment

Sparko, it is not worthy of you to behave like that and you know it. Why don't you just answer the question?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                            So you can name no such skeptic and identify no publication in which the argument appears?
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Can you point us to any of those articles so we can see someone making the argument?

Comment

Sparko, I don't think you are convincing anyone or perhaps you are at most preaching to the choir by acting like that instead of answering the question. It was a rather simple question. Can you answer it?

Comment