Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The 'best' arguments for atheism and Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I do not believe there can be any scientific evidence that pertains to the truth of Gods existence. The God of the Bible, at least, is not a part of the creation so can not be tested scientifically. This means that other evidence is the only sort that can be used. This eliminates all supposed arguments that point to the lack of such evidence as a reason to disbelieve. All such arguments are irrational. For me this comes down to which is more in line with what I can test: The universe (that is all that is) is a creation of a power beyond itself, or the universe simply is self existent.
    Yes, and since the only evidence of existence that we have is that of the universe, then there is no reason, or need, to assume that there is anything beyond itself which created it out of nothing.

Comment

I do not believe there can be any scientific evidence that pertains to the truth of Gods existence. The God of the Bible, at least, is not a part of the creation so can not be tested scientifically. This means that other evidence is the only sort that can be used. This eliminates all supposed arguments that point to the lack of such evidence as a reason to disbelieve. All such arguments are irrational. For me this comes down to which is more in line with what I can test: The universe (that is all that is) is a creation of a power beyond itself, or the universe simply is self existent.
      Yes, like God is claimed to be. This is the more parsimonious explanation.

Comment

The universe (that is all that is) is a creation of a power beyond itself, (....)
        all that is

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Yes, and since the only evidence of existence that we have is that of the universe, then there is no reason, or need, to assume that there is anything beyond itself which created it out of nothing.
          he said no scientific evidence, not "no evidence"

There is no way to test for God using science experiments. At least none that we have thought of yet. But there is plenty of evidence. The bible is evidence. God's revelation is evidence. Jesus is evidence. Miracles are evidence. Prayers answered is evidence. Prophesies being fulfilled are evidence. Healing is evidence.

Not evidence that you accept, but others do.

Although, considering your standard of evidence when it comes to condemning Trump or anything conservative, you should be the Pope by now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            he said no scientific evidence, not "no evidence"

There is no way to test for God using science experiments. At least none that we have thought of yet. But there is plenty of evidence. The bible is evidence. God's revelation is evidence. Jesus is evidence. Miracles are evidence. Prayers answered is evidence. Prophesies being fulfilled are evidence. Healing is evidence.
            It seems to me that creation itself provides plenty of evidence (cosmological and teleological arguments). As does the existence of morality, consciousness, and reason itself. Lots and lots of evidence for God. Whether one finds that evidence persuasive is another matter of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              It seems to me that creation itself provides plenty of evidence (cosmological and teleological arguments).
              Paul sure thought so as evidenced by his words in the first chapter of Romans.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Paul sure thought so as evidenced by his words in the first chapter of Romans.
                For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Paul was an Iron Age tentmaker. What did he know?

I think my sarcasm is rather obvious, but around here, one never knows.
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Paul was an Iron Age tentmaker. What did he know?

I think my sarcasm is rather obvious, but around here, one never knows.
                  Exactly.

Comment

• Originally posted by crepuscule View Post
                    all that is
                    Got any other nits?
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Got any other nits?
                      Loaded question, but now that you ask:
                      The God of the Bible, at least, is not a part of the creation so can not be tested scientifically.
                      The so

Comment

• Originally posted by crepuscule View Post
                        Loaded question, but now that you ask:
                        The so
                        But the universe, even if it was self-existence, would still be part of creation. A physical entity. God is not physical. At least not in the sense that we understand physical.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                          But the universe, even if it was self-existence, would still be part of creation. A physical entity. God is not physical. At least not in the sense that we understand physical.
                          Except as Jesus. And when he was in the world he could be scientifically tested. He claimed to be God but He was killed. Then observed to be alive later. Hypothesis: Is Jesus really God? Proposed test: Let's kill him and find out! Test result: oops he came back alive. conclusion: Jesus is God. God exists.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Except as Jesus. And when he was in the world he could be scientifically tested. He claimed to be God but He was killed. Then observed to be alive later. Hypothesis: Is Jesus really God? Proposed test: Let's kill him and find out! Test result: oops he came back alive. conclusion: Jesus is God. God exists.
                            Well, at least in the fairy tale version of his life.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Well, at least in the fairy tale version of his life.
                              What fairy tale Jim?
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                                What fairy tale Jim?
                                What else, the gospel version written 4 decades after his death.

Comment