Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The 'best' arguments for atheism and Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    Well, address specifics. What in what Lee argued about the island in the prophecy that is not true? Quote that part of the prophecy Lee used regarding that island.

What is not true in the explanation that I cited?
    "Ezekiel 26 prophesied: Nebuchadnezzar would destroy the mainland city"

Ezekiel 26 does not specifically refer to the mainland city of Tyre. If anything it hints, by talking about a place for spreading nets in the midst of the sea, at the island city.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
      Actually she also says "until recently, the ruins of Tyre above water were few".

Are you implying that the ruins underwater were after the 18th century? So they could be quarried?
      No, I'm demonstrating that you are quote-mining. Omitting relevant context that contradicts and refutes your claimed meaning. Lying by omission.

Jidejian tells us she is talking about Phoenician ruins - but you ignore that, and suggest she might be talking instead about Roman ruins.

When you can only maintain your argument by lying about your sources, no further comment is necessary.
      Last edited by Roy; 02-05-2018, 07:26 AM.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• So if we take 37818's map of the old city walls, and overlay it on the satellite image from Google, using the included present coastline as a guide, we get this:

tyre_outline.jpg

It doesn't show a substantial part of Tyre being now underwater. It shows that the area of the former city is still above water, and that much of that area is now modern buildings. It suggests that any underwater ruins are either remains of ancient buildings that fell or were cast into the sea, or are the remains of the old harbourworks, and their underwater location is irrelevant to whether the city has been rebuilt because they are not where the city was.
        Last edited by Roy; 02-05-2018, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
          Actually she also says "until recently, the ruins of Tyre above water were few".

Are you implying that the ruins underwater were after the 18th century? So they could be quarried?

Blessings,
          Lee
          The areas underwater have never been more than the lowland Isle of Hercules and the edge of the Isle of Tyre. The main Island city and Temple location has never been underwater.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
            No, I'm demonstrating that you are quote-mining. Omitting relevant context that contradicts and refutes your claimed meaning. Lying by omission.
            You didn't answer my question. Speaking of omission...

Jidejian tells us she is talking about Phoenician ruins - but you ignore that, and suggest she might be talking instead about Roman ruins.
            "From the 18th century onwards" would probably mean Roman or Byzantine ruins by that time, though.

Blessings,
            Lee
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              The areas underwater have never been more than the lowland Isle of Hercules and the edge of the Isle of Tyre. The main Island city and Temple location has never been underwater.
              Substantial ruins are underwater, though, and the northern area shown here must have also sunk.

Blessings,
              Lee
              Attached Files
              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

"Ezekiel 26 prophesied: Nebuchadnezzar would destroy the mainland city"

Ezekiel 26 does not specifically refer to the mainland city of Tyre. If anything it hints, by talking about a place for spreading nets in the midst of the sea, at the island city.
                At the time Ezekiel wrote that prophecy Tyre was that "mainland" city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_prophecy#Ezekiel
                Last edited by 37818; 02-05-2018, 11:31 PM.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

So if we take 37818's map of the old city walls, and overlay it on the satellite image from Google, using the included present coastline as a guide, we get this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26373[/ATTACH]

It doesn't show a substantial part of Tyre being now underwater. It shows that the area of the former city is still above water, and that much of that area is now modern buildings. It suggests that any underwater ruins are either remains of ancient buildings that fell or were cast into the sea, or are the remains of the old harbourworks, and their underwater location is irrelevant to whether the city has been rebuilt because they are not where the city was.
                  Ok, you have proven the drawn outline is not accurate.

rr1006c.jpg
                  1934 photo.
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Emphasis added:
                    Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                    You didn't answer my question. Speaking of omission...
                    I did answer your question. The answer was "No".
                    "From the 18th century onwards" would probably mean Roman or Byzantine ruins by that time, though.
                    The author specifically refers to "the ancient metropolis of Phoenicia". You know this. Your suggestion that she meant Roman ruins is a blatant lie.

Also, there's the obvious implication that there wouldn't be any Roman or Byzantine ruins on the island unless the city had been at least partly rebuilt - which you claim it wasn't.

Comment

At the time Ezekiel wrote that prophecy Tyre was that "mainland" city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_prophecy#Ezekiel
                      Your source says otherwise.
                      Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_prophecy#Ezekiel

Tyre was an island fortress-city the island city itself intact.

© Copyright Original Source

Did you read it?

Comment

Ok, you have proven the drawn outline is not accurate.
                        ...or, which is much more likely, Lee and you are wrong.
                        1934 photo.
                        That looks very similar to both the current satellite views and the coastal outline on your city wall map. What's your point?

Comment

The author specifically refers to "the ancient metropolis of Phoenicia".
                          ...assuming that Lee is quoting the author correctly, which is at this point unwarranted.

Comment

Your source says otherwise.
                            Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_prophecy#Ezekiel

Tyre was an island fortress-city the island city itself intact.

© Copyright Original Source

Did you read it?
                            The video which explains the prophecy as to how it is understood to be fully fulfilled mentions both locations.

news-graphics-2007-_635562a.jpg
                            Two locations where tyre has not been rebuilt as such. On the west the southern sea side place and the east mid location where the old coast had ended. You can see the areas as darker patchs.
                            Last edited by 37818; 02-06-2018, 09:04 AM.

Comment

The video which explains the prophecy as to how it is understood to be fully fulfilled mentions both locations.
                              If Tyre comprised a mainland city and an island city, why did you write "At the time Ezekiel wrote that prophecy Tyre was that "mainland" city"?

Why are you contradicting your chosen source that says the mainland section was not a city, but a collection of villages?

You can't even get your argument straight.
                              Two locations where tyre has not been rebuilt as such. On the west the southern sea side place and the east mid location where the old coast had ended. You can see the areas as darker patchs.
                              Ok, so the modern city and the original city do not completely overlap. So what? That doesn't mean Tyre hasn't been rebuilt.

Unless you want to make the absurd claim that Tyre hasn't been rebuilt because modern Tyre is not identical to the original city.

Comment

Emphasis added:I did answer your question. The answer was "No".
                                So how is it that there are ruins underwater if the quarrying carried off all the Phoenician stones?

The author specifically refers to "the ancient metropolis of Phoenicia". You know this. Your suggestion that she meant Roman ruins is a blatant lie.
                                By the 18th century the upper layers would surely be Roman and Byzantium. The best claim for your view is that the Phoenician ruins are under the city, which I wonder how they know this if they are still buried.

Also, there's the obvious implication that there wouldn't be any Roman or Byzantine ruins on the island unless the city had been at least partly rebuilt - which you claim it wasn't.
                                I claim the ancient city of Tyre is substantially underwater, so this ancient city has not been rebuilt.

Blessings,
                                Lee

Comment