Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The 'best' arguments for atheism and Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
    So, what did the prophecy say? Not rebuilt? Or, rebuilt, but insignificant and almost disappearing?
    Not rebuilt! And Babylon was basically in decay for centuries, and is now a ruin.

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Or rebuilt, used as a capital, but displaced decades later when a new capital was founded?
    Well, no, not rebuilt, though used as a capital, and then falling into ruins.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      The problem it is common all through ancient history many great cities, kingdoms, empires were destroyed and never rebuilt. Some cities destroyed were rebuilt again and again when it supported an economy and need.

A prophesy that any one city or another will not be rebuilt is not significant.
      Though Alexander the Great tried to restore Babylon, and so did Saddam Hussein, and they both failed.

The prophesy concerning the city of Tyre being never rebuilt failed, because it has been rebuilt and occupied for most of history. There are numerous prophecies that have not come true. Point to a couple of maybes is not a good argument.
      Well, you can't have it both ways! Now it's important if such a prophecy fails. But we have evidence that ancient Tyre sank under the sea, and has not been rebuilt.

Prophecies about Tyre: Eze. 26:13-14 "So I will silence the sound of your songs, and the sound of your harps will be heard no more. And I will make you a bare rock; you will be a place for the spreading of nets. You will be built no more, for I the Lord have spoken," declares the Lord God.
      Eze. 26:21 "I shall bring terrors on you, and you will be no more; though you will be sought, you will never be found again," declares the Lord God.

Source: Encyclopedia of Bible Difficulties

In point of fact, the mainland city of Tyre later was rebuilt and assumed some of its former importance during the Hellenistic period. But as for the island city, it apparently sank below the surface of the Mediterranean, in the same subsidence that submerged the port of Caesarea that Herod had built up with such expense and care. All that remains of it is a series of black reefs offshore from Tyre, which surely could not have been there in the first and second millennia B.C., since they pose such a threat to navigation. The promontory that now juts out from the coastline probably was washed up along the barrier of Alexander's causeway, but the island itself broke off and sank away when the subsidence took place; and we have no evidence at all that it ever was built up again after Alexander's terrible act of vengeance. In the light of these data, then, the predictions of chapter 26, improbable though they must have seemed in Ezekiel's time, were duly fulfilled to the letter--first by Nebuchadnezzar in the sixth century, and then by Alexander in the fourth.

© Copyright Original Source

Blessings,
      Lee
      Last edited by lee_merrill; 12-24-2017, 01:25 PM.
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        OK, Lee. If it's important to your beliefs, so be it. It is not an adequate basis for me to establish a belief system. It's much too nebulous and unbounded.

Comment

• As I said, Lee, my beliefs cannot be based on scriptural passages or vague prophecies. I will leave that to you. I look elsewhere to base my beliefs.

Merry Christmas!
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            As I said, Lee, my beliefs cannot be based on scriptural passages or vague prophecies. I will leave that to you. I look elsewhere to base my beliefs.

Merry Christmas!
            Merry Christmas to you too!

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
              Though Alexander the Great tried to restore Babylon, and so did Saddam Hussein, and they both failed.
              My issue is not with Babylon, but your argument for Tyre is phony based on archaeology. I will bring up other prophecies that failed also.

Well, you can't have it both ways! Now it's important if such a prophecy fails. But we have evidence that ancient Tyre sank under the sea, and has not been rebuilt.

Prophecies about Tyre: Eze. 26:13-14 "So I will silence the sound of your songs, and the sound of your harps will be heard no more. And I will make you a bare rock; you will be a place for the spreading of nets. You will be built no more, for I the Lord have spoken," declares the Lord God.
              Eze. 26:21 "I shall bring terrors on you, and you will be no more; though you will be sought, you will never be found again," declares the Lord God.

Source: Encyclopedia of Bible Difficulties

In point of fact, the mainland city of Tyre later was rebuilt and assumed some of its former importance during the Hellenistic period. But as for the island city, it apparently sank below the surface of the Mediterranean, in the same subsidence that submerged the port of Caesarea that Herod had built up with such expense and care. All that remains of it is a series of black reefs offshore from Tyre, which surely could not have been there in the first and second millennia B.C., since they pose such a threat to navigation. The promontory that now juts out from the coastline probably was washed up along the barrier of Alexander's causeway, but the island itself broke off and sank away when the subsidence took place; and we have no evidence at all that it ever was built up again after Alexander's terrible act of vengeance. In the light of these data, then, the predictions of chapter 26, improbable though they must have seemed in Ezekiel's time, were duly fulfilled to the letter--first by Nebuchadnezzar in the sixth century, and then by Alexander in the fourth.

© Copyright Original Source

First, I do not consider your reference an unbiased source. Please refer to a better source based on academic archaeology. Second, I believe the reconstructed maps based on archaeology show the island still exists connected to the mainland by damming fill and sediment over the millennia; There are a number of ancient maps and reconstructed maps based on archaeology you can refer to. There is no documented evidence that the black reef or rock? (small Island of Hercules) represented where the ancient city.

Nonetheless the city of Tyre like many ancient geographically important cities has been rebuilt a number of times, and remains today as matter of fact. The prophecy failed.
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-24-2017, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Nonetheless the city of Tyre like many ancient geographically important cities has been rebuilt a number of times, and remains today as matter of fact. The prophecy failed.

Comment

• The fortress was on the larger island above the smaller lower Hercules Island. To build a fortress on the low rocky island would be foolish at best. The Hercules island may have been occupied, but it only represent less than a fourth of the whole Island where the fortress and temple was.

See maps here: https://www.google.com/search?q=tyre...ZrA8QPOCm0pyM:
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-25-2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Merry Christmas to you too!
                    And to you, Lee Merry Christmas.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

The fortress was on the larger island above the smaller lower Hercules Island. To build a fortress on the low rocky island would be foolish at best. The Hercules island may have been occupied, but it only represent less than a fourth of the whole Island where the fortress and temple was.

See maps here: https://www.google.com/search?q=tyre...ZrA8QPOCm0pyM:
                      Well, we'll evidently have to agree to disagree, I gave you what you asked for, secular archaeologists...

Blessings,
                      Lee

Comment

• To me the prophesies in the OT about Christ that were fulfilled in the NT are more important.

Comment

Well, we'll evidently have to agree to disagree, I gave you what you asked for, secular archaeologists...

Blessings,
                          Lee
                          No, you actually did not, the Island of Hercules may have had buildings on it at the time, but you failed to acknowledge that the larger higher Island had the ancient fortress, walls and Temple located by archaeology as shown in the maps which also located Alexander's constructed Mote. Most of the ancient city, the fortress and temple location remain above water as shown on the maps. The prophesy for the City of Tyre failed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            To me the prophesies in the OT about Christ that were fulfilled in the NT are more important.
                            Yes, though they are more disputable. I like the prophecies that are falsifiable at any time...

Blessings,
                            Lee

Comment

No, you actually did not, the Island of Hercules may have had buildings on it at the time, but you failed to acknowledge that the larger higher Island had the ancient fortress, walls and Temple located by archaeology as shown in the maps which also located Alexander's constructed Mote. Most of the ancient city, the fortress and temple location remain above water as shown on the maps. The prophesy for the City of Tyre failed.
                              Well, I did give you references by secular archaeologists implying the ruins of Tyre are substantially underwater.

Blessings,
                              Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                To me the prophesies in the OT about Christ that were fulfilled in the NT are more important.
                                Well what would you expect with agenda driven authors, would you expect that the authors of the NT would contradict the authors of the OT.

Comment