Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The 'best' arguments for atheism and Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Well, I'm surprised, you will hear people say that they want something falsifiable, and the four kingdoms of Daniel are eminently falsifiable. The Ottomans, and more recently Hitler tried to be a fifth kingdom, and they failed.

Blessings,
    Lee
    The Four Kingdoms of Daniel are the Babylonians, the Medo-Persians, the Greeks, and the Romans.
    My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      there would be less diversity of religions within the world and it would be more obvious that a particular religion was right rather than them all having a roughly equal lack of evidence for them
      Question begging.

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      there would be obvious miracles that occurred in the world, and the invention of everyone having cellphones and video cameras should mean that youtube should have a hundred thousand compelling videos of miracles happening, and the international media would be able to provide video footage of a person's leg growing back as the shaman prayed over the person.
      Question begging.

Religious people who felt they had been 'given a message from God' would be right more often and agree with each other more.
      Question begging.

there would be less naturally occurring suffering in the world (disease, earthquakes, etc).
      Question begging.

a deity could create the world and the life on it instantly, but everything we know about astronomy and biology tells us that naturalistic processes over billions of years were what formed our galaxy, our solar system, our planet, and evolved life on it.
      Question begging.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        The historical-critical methodology of modern historians doesn't accept miracles (the core component of the Jesus story) on the basis that they can't be shown to be true, NOT because of their "own dogmatic commitments".
        You've managed to contradict yourself within the same sentence. On the one hand you claim it is not due to dogmatic commitments, whilst simultaneously admitting that rejection of miracles is a dogmatic commitment at the heart of "historical-critical methodology" (whatever that is). But your contention that the assumption that miracles cannot be shown to be true is part of the methodological framework of history is false. You are almost certainly thinking of 'historical Biblical criticism', a term invented out of wholecloth by Ernest Troeltsch. Incidentally, it is widely recognised that Troeltsch claim is evidently unwarranted, given that he provides zero justification or argument for his bare assertions and that it is nothing more than question begging. Moreover, as someone who has actually studied history, it is annoying when historically illiterate know-nothings such as yourself deem to speak authoritatively on the subject. You've been schooled more times than I care to remember, yet, despite our best efforts, your level of understanding of history still remains lower than the ankle-socks of a particularly small beetle, standing in a ditch, in a quarry, in the low country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
          What has Europe got to do with it? The Babylonian empire didn't include Europe. It was centred around the Eastern Mediterranean and the Persian Gulf.

There were lots of Kingdoms that followed the Babylonians which you haven't addressed. The Seljuqs, for instance. The Sasanians.

Can you justifiably exclude them for reasons that don't apply to any of your four?
          Here is an excerpt from Daniel's vision of a large statue:

So "partly strong and partly brittle" refers to the remnants of the Roman Empire, and those remnants have persisted to this day. Other kingdoms aren't in view here, what would falsify this prophecy would be a reuniting of the remnants of the Roman empire into another kingdom.

The next step is God's kingdom:

Blessings,
          Lee
          "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            Originally posted by lee_merrill
            That's why I like to focus on "forever" prophecies, such as "Babylon will never be rebuilt or reinhabited," which are falsifiable at any time.
            How about Babylon?... such prophecies are unsubstantiated. You see - one of the requirements I listed is that the prophecy be unambiguoously associated with the event it foretells. we will only know if this particular prophecy is fulfilled when...well...never. Because we haven't reach the end of time - so "forever" isn't done yet.
            Though I do think the prophecy "Babylon will never be rebuilt or reinhabited" is associated with the event of Babylon remaining desolate. This is not sleight of hand, this is a remarkable prophecy that can be falsified at any time, all you would need to do to disprove this prophecy is to rebuild or reinhabit Babylon. Saddam Hussein tried, Alexander the Great tried (he wanted Babylon to be the capital of his empire) and they both failed.

Blessings,
            Lee
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Though I do think the prophecy "Babylon will never be rebuilt or reinhabited" is associated with the event of Babylon remaining desolate. This is not sleight of hand, this is a remarkable prophecy that can be falsified at any time, all you would need to do to disprove this prophecy is to rebuild or reinhabit Babylon. Saddam Hussein tried, Alexander the Great tried (he wanted Babylon to be the capital of his empire) and they both failed.
              These "proven" biblical prophecies remind me of the likes of clairvoyant Jeane Dixon...always remembered for the 'prophecies' that came true, like the assassination of John F Kennedy, and those that didn't come true (the majority) are merely glossed over as of no account.

Comment

Blessings,
                Lee
                Lee - the sleight of hand is "will never be - forever." Sure, it CAN be falsified at any time - and it hasn't. But that does not render the prophecy "true." This prophecy can never be rendered true - because it is based on a claim of infinity. So the best anyone can do is say, "true for now." If such a claim is part of your evidence for belief, then I have to believe your evidence basis is fairly weak. I can tell you this particular prophecy simply says nothing to me.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  These "proven" biblical prophecies remind me of the likes of clairvoyant Jeane Dixon...always remembered for the 'prophecies' that came true, like the assassination of John F Kennedy
                  Her prophecy of Kennedy's assassination wasn't all that impressive, actually.

In 1956, she predicted that the 1960 presidential election would be won by the Democratic candidate and that the winner would die in office. Could this have been merely a lucky guess?

Why not? When she made the forecast, President Eisenhower was reasonably popular and seemed assured of re-election that year, which meant no incumbent would be running in 1960. The White House would be essentially up for grabs, and so Dixon probably had roughly a 50 percent chance of being correct in her forecast of a Democratic victory.

As for the victor's dying in office, there was a superstition in those days that any president elected in a year divisible by 20 was fated to die in office. It had happened ever since William Henry Harrison, who won the 1840 election, died shortly after his inauguration. The pattern continued with Lincoln (winner in 1860), Garfield (1880), McKinley (1900), Harding (1920), and Roosevelt (1940). Anyone who was the least bit inclined to believe in omens surely expected that whoever won the presidency in 1960 was doomed. Dixon was hardly being adventurous, then, in her prediction.

But was she merely guessing, or did she actually know something? We know this about what she knew: During the 1960 campaign between Kennedy and Richard Nixon, she predicted that Kennedy would lose the election. This flatly contradicted her alleged prophecy of four years earlier.

Now, she did not predict, in 1956, that John F. Kennedy would win the 1960 presidential election and that he would die in office, but she did say, in 1956, that a Democrat would do these things. We have seen that this did not require extraordinary prescience. It required only a lucky guess. One could have polled the American electorate in 1956 and asked them two questions: (1) Which party will win the presidency in 1960? and (2) Will the victor die in office? and the result would have been thousands of individual predictions that a Democrat would win and would die in office. America would have been a nation of prophets.

To be credited with supernatural insight, a purported prophet must be so specific as not only to rule out guesswork, but to eliminate the possibility that any event other than the one that actually occurred would have fulfilled the prophecy. Dixon's 1956 prophecy would have been fulfilled no matter which Democrat had been elected president in 1960, and if that Democrat had died in office, no matter how he died. She did not predict the election of a senator from Massachusetts or from any other state, and she did not predict an assassination. She predicted only that the 1960 presidential winner would be a Democrat and would die in office. That prediction did not require any prophetic insight.
                  Last edited by Doug Shaver; 12-18-2017, 02:41 AM.

Comment

There were lots of Kingdoms that followed the Babylonians which you haven't addressed. The Seljuqs, for instance. The Sasanians.

Can you justifiably exclude them for reasons that don't apply to any of your four?
                    Here is an excerpt from Daniel's vision of a large statue:

So "partly strong and partly brittle" refers to the remnants of the Roman Empire, and those remnants have persisted to this day.
                    What remnants would those be? There isn't a lot of the Roman Empire that hasn't been conquered at some time or other.
                    Other kingdoms aren't in view here, what would falsify this prophecy would be a reuniting of the remnants of the Roman empire into another kingdom.
                    Again, what remnants are you talking about? Also I disagree that the fragments would need to reunite; them being part of a larger empire that conquers them would suffice.

But ultimately, your answer is effectively "no".
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Lee - the sleight of hand is "will never be - forever." Sure, it CAN be falsified at any time - and it hasn't.
                      And notably Alexander the Great and Saddam Hussein have tried to rebuild Babylon, and they failed.

But that does not render the prophecy "true." This prophecy can never be rendered true - because it is based on a claim of infinity. So the best anyone can do is say, "true for now."
                      Well, as long as the earth stands.

If such a claim is part of your evidence for belief, then I have to believe your evidence basis is fairly weak. I can tell you this particular prophecy simply says nothing to me.
                      This says a lot to me, for people who should have been able to rebuild or reinhabit Babylon have tried, and failed. We don't need to argue about this, though, all you need to do to falsify this Scripture is to reinhabit Babylon. Though I don't recommend that you attempt this, it seems there is Someone preventing this from happening.

Blessings,
                      Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        What remnants would those be? There isn't a lot of the Roman Empire that hasn't been conquered at some time or other.Again, what remnants are you talking about?
                        Well, mainly Europe and parts of the Middle East.

Also I disagree that the fragments would need to reunite; them being part of a larger empire that conquers them would suffice.
                        Good point, yes, I agree.

But ultimately, your answer is effectively "no".
                        Well, they haven't been reunited or reconquered. So far the prophecy is holding up! And the next stage will be the establishing of God's kingdom.

Blessings,
                        Lee

Comment

And notably Alexander the Great and Saddam Hussein have tried to rebuild Babylon, and they failed.
                          Which, IMO, tells us nothing with respect to the "prophecy."

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                          Well, as long as the earth stands.
                          So.. about 4 billion years...

This says a lot to me, for people who should have been able to rebuild or reinhabit Babylon have tried, and failed. We don't need to argue about this, though, all you need to do to falsify this Scripture is to reinhabit Babylon. Though I don't recommend that you attempt this, it seems there is Someone preventing this from happening

Lee - if it speaks to you - so be it. From my perspective, you've fallen into the "prophecy trap," but you clearly see it differently. For me - this prophecy and its current status say nothing to me.

Blessings,
                          Lee
                          Heathen hugs
                          Michel
                          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Wait. What? Babylon was still standing in Alexander's day. It was the capital of the Persian Empire which he just defeated. In fact that was where he died. No need to rebuild it.

Or am I taking your statement too literally?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Heathen hugs
                              Michel
                              Argh! Cooties!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Wait. What? Babylon was still standing in Alexander's day. It was the capital of the Persian Empire which he just defeated. In fact that was where he died. No need to rebuild it.

Or am I taking your statement too literally?
                                Your comment got me wondering. There is also the question of what constitutes "rebuilding." The ruins of the ancient city are here (https://www.google.com/maps/place/An...1!4d44.4211293), and a rather extensive tourist area has been developed around them. It is also nestled in an area that is now part agrarian and the rather extensively built up area designated as Hillah.

So at what point does one say, "yeah - that's 'built-up' enough to qualify?"

This is the problem with prophecies, IMO. There is just too much room for fudging and interpretation.

Comment