Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The 'best' arguments for atheism and Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    So 'blind faith' is the way to go?
    Seems to be adequate for you to reject God.

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    If God involved himself in the natural world then this would be measurable via scientific methodology. Although one wonders how an immaterial deity can interact with the material world, where do they connect?
    Not being an omnipotent being myself I can no more make such a claim than can you.

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Such as?
    Hint: Read this thread.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Assuming you've actually read it, you've done a bang-up job of mischaracterizing it (which is not a surprise, given your penchant for misreading just about every source you cite here). Quite a few of the accounts Keener supplies include corroboration by medical doctors. It seems that any amount of hand-waving is justified in order to sustain disbelief in miracles.

That's nice.
      I read about this claim in Keener and available in other references, and the few supposed accurate documented healings, out of the vast volume can be explained by natural healing.

Comment

Assuming you've actually read it, you've done a bang-up job of mischaracterizing it (which is not a surprise, given your penchant for misreading just about every source you cite here).
        Sigh! Always the other person's fault isn't it?

Quite a few of the accounts Keener supplies include corroboration by medical doctors.
        ...and the regrowing limbs?

It seems that any amount of hand-waving is justified in order to sustain disbelief in miracles.
        See above.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          Seems to be adequate for you to reject God.
          Not being an omnipotent being myself I can no more make such a claim than can you.
          DO know that god-did-it.

Hint: Read this thread.
          Hint: Personal testimony of Jesus being your invisible friend and saviour is not credible evidence.

Comment

• In a long ago previous thread I addressed the problem of miraculous healing history of Lourdes, France.

First, the incidence of claims of spontaneous healing are very low out of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of visitors who visited the shrine to pray for healing. This rate of healing is comparable to medically documented spontaneous healing recorded in general, as in the spontaneous healing of leukemia, and other cancers.

Second, the extent of corroboration by medical doctors is limited, and the common statement is ". . . in a way unexplained by current medical scientific knowledge." This claim is a classic 'argument from ignorance' to justify a very very small amount of 'reported' miracles over the millennia. The present documented spontaneous healing of Leukemia and some other cancers cannot be currently explained either.

Third, scientific research that attempted to healing attributed to prayer, and other efforts of 'Divine intervention' found that the incidence of healing was slightly higher in general for those who had strong family and peer support, prayer, meditation, and a strong positive attitude.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-11-2017, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Sigh! Always the other person's fault isn't it?
              Well, no. Shunya's special.
              ...and the regrowing limbs?
              I'm pretty sure it doesn't take a medical doctor to notice a regrown limb.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Can I quote that to you the next time you go on and on about some New York Times or CNN article that has nothing by anonymous sources and no substantiation?

Comment

• A fine example of "blind faith" in this comment.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Can I quote that to you the next time you go on and on about some New York Times or CNN article that has nothing by anonymous sources and no substantiation?
                    Better to ask forgiveness than permission, right?
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it doesn't take a medical doctor to notice a regrown limb.
                      Maybe not, but miraculous claims of regrown limbs require more than anecdotal accounts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        A fine example of "blind faith" in this comment.
                        Last edited by Tassman; 07-11-2017, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• wait so you DON'T reject unsubstantiated claims, then? You blindly accept them?
                          Last edited by Sparko; 07-12-2017, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Maybe not, but miraculous claims of regrown limbs require more than anecdotal accounts.
                            Why? It's not as if you'd believe it if it was happening right in front of you.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Spin, spin, spin.

Comment

Why? It's not as if you'd believe it if it was happening right in front of you.
                                Irrelevant! We have no first-hand evidence of a miraculously growing limb, only anecdotal evidence. .

Comment