Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Getting to grips with God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    You'd encourage children to run free and discourage marriage? Interesting.
    Marriage is a partnership of equals, surely?

Comment

You're either a slave to Christ, or a slave to sin. The man who thinks he belongs to no one but himself belongs in the latter category.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
        You're either a slave to Christ, or a slave to sin.
        ...OR
        The man who thinks he belongs to no one but himself belongs in the latter category.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          ...OR
          No, that man still belongs in either of the two categories.

I'm only repeating what I understand the Bible to be saying about the state of mankind. I could care less if that makes you think I'm being judgemental or not.

Comment

No, that man still belongs in either of the two categories.

Comment

You're either a slave to Christ, or a slave to sin. The man who thinks he belongs to no one but himself belongs in the latter category.
              This is your indoctrination speaking. It is designed to make you seek your own servitude; a clever trick, a clever lie.

Comment

Comment

FF, you do understand how inane this is. If there is no god, there are no universal or transcendent moral values then what constitutes a "better" person is arbitrary and culturally relative. You have successfully cut off the ethical branch you are sitting on.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                    Marriage is a partnership of equals, surely?
                    You're shifting the goalposts, surely?
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      FF, you do understand how inane this is. If there is no god, there are no universal or transcendent moral values then what constitutes a "better" person is arbitrary and culturally relative. You have successfully cut off the ethical branch you are sitting on.
                      This is exactly how it looks. Despite that we still make progress because we are infused with a sense of justice and would have it widespread were it not for religious backwardness.

Comment

This is exactly how it looks. Despite that we still make progress because we are infused with a sense of justice and would have it widespread were it not for religious backwardness.
                        That is pure nonsense, whose infused sense of justice are you speaking of? Who decides what progress is? You have nothing... Just your culturally inculcated sense of ethics, which is no more valid or correct that any other culturally indoctrinated moral sense - past or present. In other words, you have been brainwashed to hold certain moral positions.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

That is pure nonsense, whose infused sense of justice are you speaking of? Who decides what progress is? You have nothing... Just your culturally inculcated sense of ethics, which is no more valid or correct that any other culturally indoctrinated moral sense - past or present. In other words, you have been brainwashed to hold certain moral positions.
                          You too have a Yours is Christian-based, just as it would be Muslim-based if you were born and bred in Pakistan, or secular/atheist if you were raised in Norway. The last, BTW, is ranked by the UN Human Development Index as the most socially and economically just society in the world. So who needs God to be good?

Comment

I reject any evaluation of anything from the UN. I prefer an honest evaluation.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

It is true that different societies evolve different moral codes. It is possible however to rank different moralities by application of simple principles of natural justice. That leads to development of legal codes. One such principle might be that if I do not harm you, you are not justified in harming me. Another might be that the harm you do to me is proportional to the harm I have done to you, or, say, the payment I am due to you is proportional to the goods you have delivered to me. The fundamental question underlying morality is - what is fair?

The great problem with religiously based moral systems is that they are both obsolete and overrated. Obsolete because of when they were written and overrated because they deceitfully claim supernatural authority. Would anyone here wish to live in a society where strict Sharia was practiced? No! Why? Because you have experienced a superior moral system and you reject the outmoded one.

Comment

It is true that different societies evolve different moral codes. It is possible however to rank different moralities by application of simple principles of natural justice. That leads to development of legal codes. One such principle might be that if I do not harm you, you are not justified in harming me. Another might be that the harm you do to me is proportional to the harm I have done to you, or, say, the payment I am due to you is proportional to the goods you have delivered to me. The fundamental question underlying morality is - what is fair?
                                First point is that there is no such thing as "natural justice." Nature, nor the natural laws that created us care in the least about justice. The classic golden rule, do under others, is no more valid than the other golden rule; he with the most gold rules.

Comment