Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Counterfeits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
    My initial response would be a question: "Why are you asking me?"
    To understand what you think as to how one becomes a Christian. If you do not want to answer that, how about giving a primary reason you find what you perceive as the Christian faith to be untenable?
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      this too belongs to the realm of coincidence and happenstance. There is no empirically verified evidence supporting such a claim.
      1. You didn't know my dad, or the people involved, nor do you have more than a brief summary from me as to what happened, so you really have no way to judge whether it was God or not.
      2. I already said you would not accept the "good evidence" for God, but yes, it does exist and it is good enough to have convinced billions of people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        1. You didn't know my dad, or the people involved, nor do you have more than a brief summary from me as to what happened, so you really have no way to judge whether it was God or not.
        Neither do you. With all due respect to you and your family during a difficult time, the events and beliefs you describe can just as readily be coincidence and happenstance. You're making a faith-claim. There is no empirically verified evidence to support that it was the work of God.

2. I already said you would not accept the "good evidence" for God, but yes, it does exist and it is good enough to have convinced billions of people.
        Certainly very many people have been convinced of the veracity of very many gods over the millennia, but this is not proof that they were right. Obviously, given the many thousand of gods, most were not right.

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          To understand what you think as to how one becomes a Christian.
          What I think is that, in order to become a Christian, one finds a group that calls itself Christian and then does whatever that group says one must do in order to become a member of it.

Comment

If you do not want to answer that, how about giving a primary reason you find what you perceive as the Christian faith to be untenable?
            If I had to pick one reason over all others, it would be that the Christian faith affirms God's existence.

Comment

If I had to pick one reason over all others, it would be that the Christian faith affirms God's existence.
              You have a problem with that because you hold the view that there is no God[?]. How did you come to the conclusion that there is no God? Why is the view point of God therefore untenable?
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Neither do you. With all due respect to you and your family during a difficult time, the events and beliefs you describe can just as readily be coincidence and happenstance. You're making a faith-claim. There is no empirically verified evidence to support that it was the work of God.
                I never claimed there was "empirically verified evidence" - there are other types of evidence. Sometimes seeing is believing, so to speak. If God appeared in your room right now and had a chat with you, and answered any questions you asked, then left without leaving any "empirically verified evidence" behind, would you believe in Him?

Comment

I never claimed there was "empirically verified evidence" - there are other types of evidence. Sometimes seeing is believing, so to speak. If God appeared in your room right now and had a chat with you, and answered any questions you asked, then left without leaving any "empirically verified evidence" behind, would you believe in Him?
                  The real question is why would anyone believe my personal testimony of my purely subjective (possibly delusional) experience.

Comment

The real question is why would anyone believe my personal testimony of my purely subjective (possibly delusional) experience.
                    No the question is, would YOU believe it?

Comment

No the question is, would YOU believe it?
                      I would not believe anything unsupported by credible evidence and I certainly don't believe the personal testimony of those who do.

Comment

I would not believe anything unsupported by credible evidence and I certainly don't believe the personal testimony of those who do.

So you don't think God appearing to you and answering all of your questions is credible evidence? You would not believe God if he appeared and proved himself to you personally and directly?

Comment

So you don't think God appearing to you and answering all of your questions is credible evidence? You would not believe God if he appeared and proved himself to you personally and directly?
                          Not without credible evidence, "that way lies madness". (King Lear)

Comment

How did you come to the conclusion that there is no God?
                            I didn't. The conclusion I came to was that I had no good reason to believe in any god.

Comment

I didn't. The conclusion I came to was that I had no good reason to believe in any god.
                              What would you consider a good reason? How about that God is? Why would that not be a good reason?

Comment

How about that God is? Why would that not be a good reason?
                                Because your saying so does not make it so.

Comment