Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Counterfeits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
    My point is that three major denominations have different messages about how man can be saved. You earlier claimed God's message was not garbled. That would imply that all three messages are correct, despite disagreeing on this vitally important issue.

I have literally no idea how your response here addresses that at all.
    There is only one Biblical gospel for salvation. There are essentials and there are secondary issues. The secondary issues are never a matter of salvation. There is only one way of salvation.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

You are a Christian, can you tell me if I got it wrong?

1. Does God want his message to be received by mankind?

2. Does God care if the message is garbled?

3. Is God capable of (i.e., sufficiently powerful) ensuring the message is not garbled?

From what I have read of the Christian religion, I think the answers are "yes, "yes" and "yes" respectively. If you can say what I have got wrong, perhaps we can discuss it.
      Clearly you have it wrong. Since I am not a prophet I can not tell you what God's ultimate purpose is, but since your conclusion is wrong . . .
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

My point is that three major denominations have different messages about how man can be saved. You earlier claimed God's message was not garbled. That would imply that all three messages are correct, despite disagreeing on this vitally important issue.
        It would appear that you do not understand the three denominations you are using as an example. All three teach salvation by faith.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          I am arguing that the difference between genuine Christianity and its counterfeits is a matter of salvation. So what I was referring to is what all the counterfeits have in common that is contrary to genuine Christianity. The example I cited (Matthew 7:21-23). The difference between trusting in one's own faith plus works versus trusting in the finished work of Christ alone.
          I'd go a bit further: The difference between Christianity and the world system is grace.
          The counterfeits are just the world system recast in Christian terminology.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
            I'd go a bit further: The difference between Christianity and the world system is grace.
            The counterfeits are just the world system recast in Christian terminology.
            Wut does "recast" mean?
            The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
              Wut does "recast" mean?
              When I break both of your legs again they'll need to be recast.
              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                When I break both of your legs again they'll need to be recast.
                I thought recast is what happens when a TV program goes into syndication

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I thought recast is what happens when a TV program goes into syndication
                  Nothing destroys a good discussion like defining the terms.
                  Thanks Trout, you killed another perfectly good thread.

Comment

There is only one Biblical gospel for salvation. There are essentials and there are secondary issues. The secondary issues are never a matter of salvation. There is only one way of salvation.
                    Have Protestant and Orthodox and Catholic churches ALL got the right message with regards to salvation?
                    My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

In order for there to be a counterfeit, there has to be the genuine article.
                      Christianity is a genuine religion. So are all the others. You are the one saying the others are not genuine.

Only what is deemed to be of value is counterfeited.
                      Right, but the key term there is "deemed." Most people think religion is valuable. They just disagree about which one has the most value, and some (but not all, by any means) think their own is the only one with any value at all.

Comment

God's message is not garbled.
                        If that were so, there would never have been any religious wars.

Comment

Like the Loch Ness it is something people want to believe. [Why?]
                          That is an interesting enough question, all right. But more interesting to me is the way it demonstrates that a desire to believe can be sufficient to produce the belief.

Comment

Garbled? or ... Ignored?
                            "You observe that a person is justified through actions and not through faith alone" has to be removed from the Bible before A and C could be viable. Not to mention that "alone" is a small addition to the text introduced by Luther, and "faith" is never (to the best of my knowledge) stated in isolation as a factor in salvation.

See the point here is that Protestant and Orthodox and Catholic churches disagree on this vital issue, which to my mind means two of them (at least) have garbled the message right.

And every time I point this out you seem to duck the issue.

Have Protestant and Orthodox and Catholic churches ALL got the right message with regards to salvation?
                            If anyone "got the right message" in full, all debate would be over: the one who had it right would stand out like an A380 in a flock of Cessnas.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                              Garbled? or ... Ignored?
                              "You observe that a person is justified through actions and not through faith alone" has to be removed from the Bible before A and C could be viable. Not to mention that "alone" is a small addition to the text introduced by Luther, and "faith" is never (to the best of my knowledge) stated in isolation as a factor in salvation.
                              So of the three branches of Christianity (Protestant, Catholic and Othodox), you think two of them ignored God's message (presumably the two you do not belong to)? And for centuries, God has allowed these huge organisations to spread misunformation in his name?
                              If anyone "got the right message" in full, all debate would be over: the one who had it right would stand out like an A380 in a flock of Cessnas.
                              So you think no one has the right message? What does that say about God's communication skills?
                              My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

The answer is "yes"

Your understanding on salvation in the various churches is flawed. No Orthodox or Catholic church will tell you that you are saved by anything other than God's grace and faith in Jesus' sacrifice. The works in Catholic and Orthodox churches do not save you.

Comment