Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Counterfeits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Not without credible evidence, "that way lies madness". (King Lear)
    so God appearing in front of you and proving himself to you is not credible evidence?

Then, Tassman, you are not worth debating on any subject because if you do not believe your own experiences then you won't believe any one else no matter what the evidence. Your nonsense about "credible evidence" is just an excuse not to believe anything you don't want to believe. If you would not believe in God if he appeared right in front of you and proved himself to you, then you won't believe anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      so God appearing in front of you and proving himself to you is not credible evidence?
      Muhammad's first revelation was when he was visited by the archangel Gabriel. Was that "credible evidence"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
        Because your saying so does not make it so.
        My saying so has nothing to do with whether God is or not. That God is would still be a reason. So unless the uncaused existence cannot be God, it remains to be God's identity. Uncaused existence does not need any kind of God. It, uncaused existence just is. God just is. All the other arguments for God fall if God cannot in any way be that uncaused existence. So unless a valid argument can be made that the uncaused existence cannot be God - that is God's identity. And even if such an argument is concocted that the uncaused existence cannot be God, the premise that the uncaused existence is God cannot go away. Atheists willingly ignorant of this does not make it not true.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          My saying so has nothing to do with whether God is or not.
          God just is.
          Your posts would be less unconvincing if you could manage to maintain consistency for more than half a paragraph.
          So unless a valid argument can be made that the uncaused existence cannot be God - that is God's identity. And even if such an argument is concocted that the uncaused existence cannot be God, the premise that the uncaused existence is God cannot go away. Atheists willingly ignorant of this does not make it not true.
          But atheists understanding it better than you do to the point that we recognise the fallacies that you have committed does make it not true.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Muhammad's first revelation was when he was visited by the archangel Gabriel. Was that "credible evidence"?
            If he wasn't lying, then yes, it was credible evidence to him.

You are saying that God appearing in front of you and willing to prove himself to you is not credible evidence? Exactly what would be credible evidence if God wanted to prove himself to you personally?

Comment

If he wasn't lying, then yes, it was credible evidence to him.
              Exactly! So you're agreeing that Gabriel appearing before Muhammad, or YHWH appearing before Moses or Jesus revealing himself to you is a purely subjective experience which cannot be verified as true?

Comment

Exactly! So you're agreeing that Gabriel appearing before Muhammad, or YHWH appearing before Moses or Jesus revealing himself to you is a purely subjective experience which cannot be verified as true?
                You are free to believe or not believe anyone you wish Tassman. I never said you had to believe an eyewitness or even your own eyes. Which apparently you don't.

Just answer my question: What evidence would God have to give to you in order to prove that he exists if he was willing to prove himself to you personally? Let's say you prayed, "Dear God, if you exist, please prove it to me!" - what would you have him do for you that you would accept? Apparently him appearing to you and saying "Hi there! I am real" isn't good enough for you.

Comment

You are free to believe or not believe anyone you wish Tassman. I never said you had to believe an eyewitness or even your own eyes. Which apparently you don't.
                  AND
                  Just answer my question: What evidence would God have to give to you in order to prove that he exists if he was willing to prove himself to you personally? Let's say you prayed, "Dear God, if you exist, please prove it to me!" - what would you have him do for you that you would accept? Apparently him appearing to you and saying "Hi there! I am real" isn't good enough for you.

Comment

AND
                    Are you afraid to answer the question? You claim to be open minded and only don't believe in God because there is no evidence he exists. Assuming he did exist, what evidence could he give you personally to convince you? If you say "none" then you are admitting to be close-minded and evidence is useless to you. Which is what i suspect is the truth. You like to argue and demand evidence all the time, yet there is no evidence that could convince you because you have made up your mind that God does not exist and wouldn't believe if he appeared right in front of you and did a miracle.

Which means any discussion about God with you is pointless. I might as well argue with my couch.

Comment

Are you afraid to answer the question? You claim to be open minded and only don't believe in God because there is no evidence he exists. Assuming he did exist, what evidence could he give you personally to convince you? If you say "none" then you are admitting to be close-minded and evidence is useless to you. Which is what i suspect is the truth. You like to argue and demand evidence all the time, yet there is no evidence that could convince you because you have made up your mind that God does not exist and wouldn't believe if he appeared right in front of you and did a miracle.

Comment

• I asked you first. Are you afraid to answer?

I already believe in God and he didn't even have to appear in front of me. You are the one who always is talking about there not being good evidence for God. I am asking you what that good evidence would be? If God himself appearing to you and showing you who he is is not good enough, what would be?

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                          Your posts would be less unconvincing if you could manage to maintain consistency for more than half a paragraph.
                          What is not consistent in my argument that you refer to?

But atheists understanding it better than you do to the point that we recognise the fallacies that you have committed does make it not true.
                          And that fallacy is?
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I asked you first. Are you afraid to answer?

I already believe in God and he didn't even have to appear in front of me.
                            Prove that he exists.

You are the one who always is talking about there not being good evidence for God. I am asking you what that good evidence would be? If God himself appearing to you and showing you who he is is not good enough, what would be?

Comment

Prove that he exists.
                              To ask to prove God exists is like asking to prove existence exists. God's fundamental identity is the uncaused existence in which all other things exist in. God being omnipresent.

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                                To ask to prove God exists is like asking to prove existence exists. God's fundamental identity is the uncaused existence in which all other things exist in. God being omnipresent.
                                What is you evidence that God exists and that he's omnipresent?

Comment