Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are You A Good Man....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    No, you are missing my point. So what if the pain of the indentured servant is greater? As long as it makes the owners life better and more pleasurable?
    That's not how utilitarianism works.
    Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

And you still haven't offered a logical response. Why do you rail against the religious tendencies that nature determined? Why do you dislike nature so much?
      is logically coherent and the only viable alternative. The degree to which our decision-making processes affect reality is unknown and much debated between hard determinists and compatabilists. Religion is only of concern inasmuch as it promotes survival...as per the tribal era, or is detrimental...as per modern multi-cultural societies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        is logically coherent and the only viable alternative. The degree to which our decision-making processes affect reality is unknown and much debated between hard determinists and compatabilists. Religion is only of concern inasmuch as it promotes survival...as per the tribal era, or is detrimental...as per modern multi-cultural societies.
        If you are REALLY convinced of determinism, why do you rail against people of faith? Why don't you just accept that they are destined to believe in God, and leave them alone?

I don't think you REALLY believe in determinism!
        Last edited by Kbertsche; 05-05-2017, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
          If you are REALLY convinced of determinism, why do you rail against people of faith? Why don't you just accept that they are destined to believe in God, and leave them alone?
          I don't think you REALLY believe in determinism!
          Determinism is not a belief system. It's is the logically-based position that every event, decision and action is causally determined by an unbroken chain of prior occurrences. If you believe that events, decisions and actions can arise in a vacuum and override our past experiences and subconscious then please explain how this can occur.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
            then: would you reasonably wonder if the next person who you talked to whom (a), (b) and (c) applied to, might also have (d), (e), and (f) be applicable?
            I might wonder about that. I would not assume an affirmative conclusion.

Comment

But given the statistics it is reasonable to assume that, in many cases, religious belief plays a part in the attitude of religious people towards abortion.
              You seem to have created the impression that, as far as you're concerned, whatever is true in many cases must be true in every case that you encounter. You seem to think that if anyone says "I'm one of the exceptions," they're lying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                Almost every single last Christian in the long history of this forum has identified as pro-life, and it's not coincidence.
                Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                This is why most nontheists that have come to this forum discuss the topic of abortion once.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                  You seem to have created the impression that, as far as you're concerned, whatever is true in many cases must be true in every case that you encounter. You seem to think that if anyone says "I'm one of the exceptions," they're lying.

Comment

• Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                    That's not how utilitarianism works.
                    Right stfoskey, I agree that is not how utilitarianism works. But why should anyone accept that theory of ethics, especially if it interferes with ones personal pleasure, power or wealth?
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I was speaking generally, based upon the statistics, that the majority of those who are pro-life are religious.
                      You didn't stop with that. You also said that it was therefore reasonable to assume that they were pro-life for religious reasons.

Comment

You didn't stop with that. You also said that it was therefore reasonable to assume that they were pro-life for religious reasons.

Comment

It's really not that big of a leap to say so.

Most people that are pro-life are so because of religious reasons.

Comment

• I don't know what on Earth you're talking about with Aristotle, or what that has to do with abortion.

BTW: I made that post over a month ago. Long nap?

Comment

Determinism is not a belief system. It's is the logically-based position that every event, decision and action is causally determined by an unbroken chain of prior occurrences. If you believe that events, decisions and actions can arise in a vacuum and override our past experiences and subconscious then please explain how this can occur.
                              Then religious people are determined to be that way, ISIS is determined to do what they do by antecedent conditions. So again, why rail against what nature has determined? Why do you dislike nature so much? Are you just as upset when the big fish eats the little fish?
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Right stfoskey, I agree that is not how utilitarianism works. But why should anyone accept that theory of ethics, especially if it interferes with ones personal pleasure, power or wealth?
                                That's a good question. This is where Tassman's arguments about why people have ethics in the first place come in. I'm feeling like we're going in circles, and this discussion is tiring me out, but if you're interested in reading more, I'd recommend reading Moral Tribes by Joshua Greene. That's where most of my opinions on the issue come from.
                                Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment