Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are You A Good Man....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post

If you think they are not, you need to explain how animals such as us can override the causal unbroken chain of prior occurrences. Can you? Waiting!
    Then back to my point, Communists, totalitarians, ISIS etc, are only doing what the natural processes determined them to do. Religious tendencies are the result of how nature created us. So when you rail against religion you are railing against nature herself... Rather silly in my opinion.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      Then back to my point, Communists, totalitarians, ISIS etc, are only doing what the natural processes determined them to do. Religious tendencies are the result of how nature created us. So when you rail against religion you are railing against nature herself... Rather silly in my opinion.

Comment

• But Tass, whether I can demonstrate any of this is immaterial to my point. That when you rail against religion you are, at bottom, railing against nature. It is like getting upset when the big fish eats the little fish. Or when a bear craps in the woods. You attack religion as a problem but in your worldview it was the evolutionary processes that created us with these religious tendencies. Rationally your ire is misplaced, the real culprit is evolution itself.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

But Tass, whether I can demonstrate any of this is immaterial to my point. That when you rail against religion you are, at bottom, railing against nature. It is like getting upset when the big fish eats the little fish. Or when a bear craps in the woods. You attack religion as a problem but in your worldview it was the evolutionary processes that created us with these religious tendencies. Rationally your ire is misplaced, the real culprit is evolution itself.
          not to mention, if Tassy is correct, then we have no choice but to believe in God because "antecedent events" make us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            not to mention, if Tassy is correct, then we have no choice but to believe in God because "antecedent events" make us.
            Right and that would be the case with all beliefs or ideas. Tass isn't an atheist because it is true, he is an atheist because the laws of nature determined him to be so. Now it may be the case that atheism is true, but the truth of the matter is not what cause his belief.

Comment

Right and that would be the case with all beliefs or ideas. Tass isn't an atheist because it is true, he is an atheist because the laws of nature determined him to be so. Now it may be the case that atheism is true, but the truth of the matter is not what cause his belief.
              right. the same with everything else in science or philosophy. Nobody believes anything because it is true, but because they were made to believe or not believe it by the universe.

Comment

I would like to thank Tasman for a clear and effective presentation of Plantinga's EAAN
                ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                  I would like to thank Tasman for a clear and effective presentation of Plantinga's EAAN
                  And it will never dawn on him that he cut off the branch he was sitting on...

Comment

And it will never dawn on him that he cut off the branch he was sitting on...
                    Tassman consistently puts his foot in his mouth, but never realizes it. It's a given.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Tassman consistently puts his foot in his mouth, but never realizes it. It's a given.
                      It is called foot in mouth determinism.

Comment

• Theologyweb: Powered by fatalistic determinism.

Comment

Of course, but that is the point isn't it.
                          But just because something is based on belief and opinion doesn't mean it is invalid or not arguable.
                          Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                            But just because something is based on belief and opinion doesn't mean it is invalid or not arguable.
                            I didn't say that. But since you mentioned it. All moral ideals are subjective, which means that no ethical opinion is more valid than its opposite. Now there may be objectively better ways to reach certain moral goals, but here again the goals are subjective.

Comment

But Tass, whether I can demonstrate any of this is immaterial to my point. That when you rail against religion you are, at bottom, railing against nature. It is like getting upset when the big fish eats the little fish. Or when a bear craps in the woods. You attack religion as a problem but in your worldview it was the evolutionary processes that created us with these religious tendencies. Rationally your ire is misplaced, the real culprit is evolution itself.
                              This does not necessarily mean that we have no influence on the future and its events (this is Fatalism, which you always confuse with Determinism), but that the level to which humans have influence over their future itself is itself very largely dependent on present and past.

If you think our behaviour is not determined by antecedent events, you need to explain how animals such as us can override the causal unbroken chain of prior occurrences. Until you can explain this neither you nor your henchmen have a valid argument.

Comment

I didn't say that. But since you mentioned it. All moral ideals are subjective, which means that no ethical opinion is more valid than its opposite. Now there may be objectively better ways to reach certain moral goals,
                                but here again the goals are subjective.

Comment