Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Can The Atheist Do Good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In your world view? never.

In mine, when Adam sinned and became a sinful fallen creature.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      But why would humans invent a moral concept that is so clearly foreign to who we actually are? This idea implies a goal, some kind of standard out there, some where. Why do we seem so uneasy with ourselves the way we are? So Doug, do you consider yourself morally perfect?
      There is no claim that I know of that humans ever invented a moral concept. Moral and ethical concepts are a part of the nature of being human regardless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        In your world view? never.

And do you also believe that A+E were created as fully adult human beings out of a mud ball and a rib respectively?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          And do you also believe that A+E were created as fully adult human beings out of a mud ball and a rib respectively?
          You've no room to mock anyone on this point as man coming from mud as acted upon by an intelligent agent sounds quite a bit more probable than man arising from mud via a long series of happy accidents.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              In your world view? never.

The science is against you.

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/09/138957...f-adam-and-eve

Comment

• Is Tassman citing npr as science?
                The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                  But why would humans invent a moral concept that is so clearly foreign to who we actually are?
                  We have invented countless concepts that are completely inconsistent with anything that actually exists. I see no reason to treat morality as a special case where we could not have done the same thing.

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  This idea implies a goal, some kind of standard out there, some where.
                  That's what Aristotle thought. I disagree with Aristotle, and so do lots of other people.

Why do we seem so uneasy with ourselves the way we are?
                  Because we have enough intelligence to perceive a difference between the way we are and the way we wish we were.

So Doug, do you consider yourself morally perfect?
                  No, and I don't recall saying anything that could have suggested I do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                    You've no room to mock anyone on this point as man coming from mud as acted upon by an intelligent agent sounds quite a bit more probable than man arising from mud via a long series of happy accidents.
                    Actually no. This presupposes an intelligent agent for which there's no substantive evidence. Your "happy accidents" are merely the relatively few favourable mutations resulting in incremental changes allowing for a greater chance of survival.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trout View Post
                      Is Tassman citing npr as science?
                      NPR is a reputable news agency but ANY scientific site (other than the Creationist one's in damage control mode) will dismiss the A&E story, that all of humanity has descended from that single pair, as biologically impossible. "Dennis Venema, a biologist at Trinity Western University, says: "That would be against all the genomic evidence that we've assembled over the last 20 years, so not likely at all." And he is a senior fellow at BioLogos Foundation, a Christian group, and presumably not biased against Christianity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                        Because we have enough intelligence to perceive a difference between the way we are and the way we wish we were.
                        Why do we wish to be other than we are? Why the cognitive disconnect? I wonder if the ape or dog, if they could communicate to us, would have this same disconnect.

No, and I don't recall saying anything that could have suggested I do.
                        But why not? Why not just declare yourself morally perfect? That you don't live up to cultural mores, which are relative? That you don't live up to your personal ideal? Why not just change that ideal and claim perfection?

That's what Aristotle thought. I disagree with Aristotle, and so do lots of other people.
                        I thought that was Plato and his forms, but it has been a while.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          NPR is a reputable news agency...
                          Whoops, no reason to read any further.
                          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

• Tassman constantly shoots himself in the foot with his defenses of himself. He is like a cartoon villain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                              Whoops, no reason to read any further.
                              What's goofy is that the NPR article does not at all address anything that Sparko even said. It says absolutely nothing about science being against the claims that "Adam sinned and became a sinful fallen creature." Dennis Venema certainly doesn't say that in the article. The closest the entire article comes to addressing sin at all is when mentioning Dr. Fazale Raza (whose name they misspell as "Fuzale"), an apologist from Reasons to Believe (a website that Tassman rails against in another thread),

Fuzale Rana isn't so sure this is a Galileo moment: That would imply the scientists are correct. But he does believe the stakes are even higher in today's battle over evolution. It is not just about the movement of the earth, but about the nature of God and man, of sin and redemption.

"I think this is going to be a pivotal point in Church history," he says. "Because what rests at the very heart of this debate is whether or not key ideas within Christianity are ultimately true or not."

That's as close to the issue of Adam and sin as the article gets.

But of course, that's just Fazale's opinion on the subject. Plenty of Christians think that one can hold to an allegorical/poetic understanding of Genesis without it impinging on these other key ideas, and have thought this way for decades...centuries even. And of course, as I've previously explained to Tassman, there are even Christians who hold to both a literal view of Genesis who also accept the current scientific explanation of human origins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                What's goofy is that the NPR article does not at all address anything that Sparko even said. It says absolutely nothing about science being against the claims that "Adam sinned and became a sinful fallen creature." Dennis Venema certainly doesn't say that in the article. The closest the entire article comes to addressing sin at all is when mentioning Dr. Fazale Raza (whose name they misspell as "Fuzale"), an apologist from Reasons to Believe (a website that Tassman rails against in another thread),
                                What the NPR article does, along with virtually every scientific commentary on the Adam and Eve story, is present the argument that the notion all of humanity being descended from that single pair is biologically impossible.

Fuzale Rana isn't so sure this is a Galileo moment: That would imply the scientists are correct. But he does believe the stakes are even higher in today's battle over evolution. It is not just about the movement of the earth, but about the nature of God and man, of sin and redemption.

"I think this is going to be a pivotal point in Church history," he says. "Because what rests at the very heart of this debate is whether or not key ideas within Christianity are ultimately true or not."

That's as close to the issue of Adam and sin as the article gets.

But of course, that's just Fazale's opinion on the subject. Plenty of Christians think that one can hold to an allegorical/poetic understanding of Genesis without it impinging on these other key ideas, and have thought this way for decades...centuries even.
                                And of course, as I've previously explained to Tassman, there are even Christians who hold to both a literal view of Genesis who also accept the current scientific explanation of human origins.
                                Alternative facts you mean?

Comment