Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Can The Atheist Do Good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Yes, God can do good through the actions of even wicked men. I believe he can even do savational work through wicked men. That's part of the grandeur of God. He often flips expectations on their head.
    That makes a bit more sense.
    Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Yes, God can do good through the actions of even wicked men. I believe he can even do savational work through wicked men. That's part of the grandeur of God. He often flips expectations on their head.
      Well, thats assuming that God is the agent in charge, but I don't think that answers the question that seer asked. His question has to do with the choices made by human beings, not the choices made by puppets.

Comment

Amusing to see you shed every last pretense of decorum and dispassionate behavior that you were so anxious to see others commit to. Calling people dumbass, and idiot, and using tired anti-theist tropes like "bronze age morons" and "invisible sky fairy". I mean, not like any of us were fooled by your past pretense, but it's entertaining to see show your true colors after your moral grandstanding.
        Apart from the colourful language what are you objecting to? Scripture does

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Well, thats assuming that God is the agent in charge, but I don't think that answers the question that seer asked. His question has to do with the choices made by human beings, not the choices made by puppets.
          But that's what's so great about God! The living God is so powerful, so full of wisdom, that even without being puppets, God still has the capability to enact his good will through the unrighteous. Mankind just ain't that smart. Certainly not smart enough to outsmart the creator of the universe. Could you even imagine!!?

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            Apart from the colourful language what are you objecting to?
            Well that's easy. I'm objecting to his continued hypocrisy. "Do what I say, but don't do as I do." Of course, it doesn't surprise me in the least that you'd join him in his hypocrisy.

Comment

But that's what's so great about God! The living God is so powerful, so full of wisdom, that even without being puppets, God still has the capability to enact his good will through the unrighteous. Mankind just ain't that smart. Certainly not smart enough to outsmart the creator of the universe. Could you even imagine!!?
              Sorry Adrift, your answer still has nothing to do with the question. Either the man is choosing to do good over evil, or god is pulling the strings, can't have it both ways.

Comment

Well that's easy. I'm objecting to his continued hypocrisy. "Do what I say, but don't do as I do." Of course, it doesn't surprise me in the least that you'd join him in his hypocrisy.
                His content is what's important, not the language in which he expressed it. And it wasn't so bad anyway compared to the offensive crap we get from some of the 'saved' on this site.

Comment

His content is what's important, not the language in which he expressed it. And it wasn't so bad anyway compared to the offensive crap we get from some of the 'saved' on this site.
                  Let me ask you a simple question Tass, are you a good man?
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Sorry Adrift, your answer still has nothing to do with the question. Either the man is choosing to do good over evil, or god is pulling the strings, can't have it both ways.
                    Not at all. Again, God is so powerful, so mighty, that his good will can be accomplished without overtaking another person's will. In fact, I imagine that most of God's will is done despite people's own willful acts and motivations. That you can't conceive of such a thing without framing it as "pulling strings" simply demonstrates your lack of consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Mose
                      In yoga philosophy if you activate the body force centers you can become more righteous because a healthy body leads to a healthy mind

Desirable socially acceptable behaviors are a product of thinking clearly

An atheist and both Christian can be normal I believe there's two types of people in the world children of God or children of Satan

The children of Satan will be in heaven those who said the sinners prayer and drove around with the Christian fish like it's fashionable that's why all the demons get sent straight to hell and the devil gets put on display for those to come and question is this who shook the nation's

God's kindness let the pseudo religious into heaven just because he's all loving but after a thousand years Satan will be unleashed and he'll clean up heaven taking back his children who are now flying under the Christian banner
                      That cleared everything up nicely. Thanks, Mose.
                      The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

So you're just going to double-down on his "do as I say, but not as I do", and you're going to add to that a whiny "well they do it too!" Real mature Tassman. Wish I could say I expected better, but I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                          How about scripture is a bunch of idiocies, hallucinations, and lies written by largely uneducated morons in the bronze age...
                          The prevalence of this logical flaw has always puzzled me.
                          Me too. They may have been uneducated by our standards, and they definitely didn't have access to all the information resources we have today, but they were not idiots or morons or hallucinating.
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            Me too. They may have been uneducated by our standards, and they definitely didn't have access to all the information resources we have today, but they were not idiots or morons or hallucinating.
                            Here is what blows me away.
                            Here we are all arrogant about our knowledge - but what will people 1,000 years from now think about us?

So the argument that the people in the past were stupid sounds good until we're the ones who are the denizens of the distant past.
                            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                              Here is what blows me away.
                              Here we are all arrogant about our knowledge - but what will people 1,000 years from now think about us?

So the argument that the people in the past were stupid sounds good until we're the ones who are the denizens of the distant past.
                              Hopefully people 1000 years in the future will be intelligent and mature enough to appreciate the difference in information availability and avoid the above fallacy.

Though they may wonder why so many people today didn't take advantage of the available data and continued to support fallacious worldviews.
                              Last edited by Roy; 03-09-2017, 08:04 AM.
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                Hopefully people 1000 years in the future will be intelligent and mature enough to appreciate the difference in information availability and avoid the above fallacy.
                                Though they may wonder why so many people today didn't take advantage of the available data and continued to support fallacies worldviews.
                                I like how you slipped a little backhand into that one.
                                I'll be keeping an eye on you, 'Roy'.
                                Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment