Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Question About Numbers 15:32–36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Why couldn't a fisherman learn about Greek ideas? You seem to want us to believe that some crazy cat lady on the internet is a historian with expertise on every aspect of the ANE.
    Why would he want to? What relevance did Greek philosophy and Greek language have for an Aramaic speaking artisan peasant devout Jew?

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Why couldn't a fisherman learn about Greek ideas? You seem to want us to believe that some crazy cat lady on the internet is a historian with expertise on every aspect of the ANE.
      Perhaps there is some evidence that Peter never actually left Galilee and remained in his home town throughout his life, never to move in Hellenistic society - not even with the Romans who were present in his home town. Or perhaps, he had no capacity to learn anything new - either of those might present as explanations why Peter would not have been able to develop the ability to express his ideas in Greek.

Of course, the problem remains that there is no textual evidence to suggest that the gospel writers drew on Paul's teachings, and Hebrews was apparently written contemporaneously with Paul's letters. That kind of puts a dampener on the story that Paul was so influential that he set that pattern for the precepts of the first couple of centuries of Christian history.
      Last edited by tabibito; 08-15-2022, 12:03 PM.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Perhaps there is some evidence that Peter never actually left Galilee and remained in his home town throughout his life, never to move in Hellenistic society - not even with the Romans who were present in his home town. Or perhaps, he had no capacity to learn anything new - either of those might present as explanations why Peter would not have been able to develop the ability to express his ideas in Greek.
        Who were these "Romans" in Peter's "home town" [i.e. in the late 20s CE]?
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Of course, the problem remains that there is no textual evidence to suggest that the gospel writers drew on Paul's teachings, and Hebrews was apparently written contemporaneously with Paul's letters. That kind of puts a dampener on the story that Paul was so influential that he set that pattern for the precepts of the first couple of centuries of Christian history.
          Many of the authors of the NT used scribes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Who were these "Romans" in Peter's "home town" [i.e. in the late 20s CE]?
            The possibility of a Roman presence in Capernaum is not satisfactorily resolved, Romans being present in Capernaum, at least occasionally, seems likely. However, that point was included to give you something to nit-pick.

Your claim that Peter could never have learnt anything is one that you haven't substantiated any time that you have mentioned it.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Given the situation, for Jesus to not have picked up so Greek ideas and words (and maybe some Roman as well) would be like someone living along the Mexican border and not knowing any Spanish. You'd have to make a very determined effort to avoid it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's beyond debate to say that Paul's epistles didn't have a profound effect on Christianity, but H_A would have us believe that his was the only tradition and we should ignore the Synoptic, Johannine and Petrine influences as insignificant.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  It's beyond debate to say that Paul's epistles didn't have a profound effect on Christianity, but H_A would have us believe that his was the only tradition and we should ignore the Synoptic, Johannine and Petrine influences as insignificant.
                  Assuredly - my point was that there is no textual evidence in the gospels to show that they were written with any knowledge of Paul's writings. Nor do Paul's writings give any evidence of familiarity with the gospels. If one group showed that it was calling on the other, there would be evidence of a sequence. No such evidence can be adduced from the texts. With Paul's writings being so influential, it is very difficult to make a case for the idea that the gospels were written later than Paul's letters.
                  Last edited by tabibito; 08-15-2022, 01:04 PM.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Assuredly - my point was that there is no textual evidence in the gospels to show that they were written with any knowledge of Paul's writings. Nor do Paul's writings give any evidence of familiarity with the gospels. If one group showed that it was calling on the other, there would be evidence of a sequence. No such evidence can be adduced from the texts. With Paul's writings being so influential, it is very difficult to make a case for the idea that the gospels were written later than Paul's letters.
                    Luke knew Paul so if there is any influence that's where we'd expect to find it

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Luke knew Paul so if there is any influence that's where we'd expect to find it
                      True - some influence is found in Acts, not in the gospel. It's almost as though the gospel was written before Luke encountered Paul.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The possibility of a Roman presence in Capernaum is not satisfactorily resolved,
                        Not for you perhaps.

Romans being present in Capernaum, at least occasionally, seems likely.
                        On what evidence from the first two decades of the first century? And what do you infer by "Romans"?

Your claim that Peter could never have learnt anything
                        I made no such claim. I asked:

Why would he want to? What relevance did Greek philosophy and Greek language have for an Aramaic speaking artisan peasant devout Jew?

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

With regard to the language: the children of expatriate Jews frequently did not know Hebrew. Romans frequently did not bother to learn the local languages.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I made no such claim. I asked:

Not a particularly successful dodge - what you in fact said was

Or are you trying to claim a Jewish Galilean artisan fishermen was conversant with Greek ideas and the Greek language

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

True - some influence is found in Acts, not in the gospel. It's almost as though the gospel was written before Luke encountered Paul.
                              Or that Pauline influences don't appear until he does.

Comment

These are all later texts.

Or are you trying to claim a Jewish Galilean artisan fishermen was conversant with Greek ideas and the Greek language; and that this text [along with 1 Peter] are all dated to pre 67 CE? The "traditional" dating for Peter's death.

The fact remains that Paul is our earliest source.

All those other NT texts come several decades later.
                                I am claiming that Matthew was written by the eponymous disciple who knew Jesus personally; that Peter's epistles were written by the eponymous disciple who knew Jesus personally (albeit likely with the aid of two different amanuenses), that Mark was written by John Mark, that the Johannine Gospel and Epistles were written by John, probably "the disciple whom Jesus loved." I am claiming that virtually everyone throughout the Roman Empire in the First Century was *at least* "conversant" with Greek ideas and especially language in addition to, and sometimes in preference to, their own ancestral languages and beliefs. I am claiming that the acts, including miracles, attributed to Jesus by the authors were historically factual and true, though not always recorded in the same detail nor chronological order. I am claiming that the teachings attributed to Jesus by the authors are accurate in substance if not verbatim detail.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment