Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

John Dominic Crossan - Skepticism towards traditional Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Exactly! Just because I eat meat on an almost daily basis doesn't mean that I'm not a Vegan. People who denounce me as a non-Vegan are really only doing it because they don't like my idiosyncratic take on Veganism.
    How does that contradict what I said about usage? Can you show me anyone who says "I'm a vegan" while eating a hamburger (while also denying being a hypocrite)?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      The way many Christian groups define "Christianity" is in the adherence to historic confessions of faith.
      I haven't denied that the historic creeds represent the dominant usage. I am denying (a) that they represent the only usage and (b) that the dominant usage is the only relevant usage.

That noted, if you wish to convince me that Christianity, as defined by your own usage, is true, then any other usage will be irrelevant to to our discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        The Roman Church of course has no authority here.
        If I want to know whether someone is or is not a Roman Catholic, the Roman Church is the only authority I will accept.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
          If I want to know whether someone is or is not a Roman Catholic, the Roman Church is the only authority I will accept.
          As an atheist do you accept anything the Roman Church says?

I reserve the right to disagree with both Crossan and the Roman Church, and I accept neither as an authority on anything.

Comment

As an atheist do you accept anything the Roman Church says?
            Not just anything, but I do accept some things the church says.

Comment

I reserve the right to disagree with both Crossan and the Roman Church, and I accept neither as an authority on anything.
              I'm not disputing your right to do anything. I'm disputing your justification for believing some things.

Comment

I'm not disputing your right to do anything.
                It appears by the previous post your were invoking the authority of the Roman Church in the decision making process, which from my perspective is ridiculous.

I believe you are overstating the authority of Roman Church as to whether who is or is not a believer.

Comment

It appears by the previous post your were invoking the authority of the Roman Church in the decision making process, which from my perspective is ridiculous.
                  The only decision pertinent to my previous post is whether I will believe that somebody who claims to be a Roman Catholic is one.

I believe you are overstating the authority of Roman Church as to whether who is or is not a believer.
                  I said nothing about whether anyone is a believer. I was talking about whether someone is a Roman Catholic. If the question is whether someone believes, I will take their word for it if they say they do, absent any good evidence that they're lying.

Comment

The only decision pertinent to my previous post is whether I will believe that somebody who claims to be a Roman Catholic is one.

I said nothing about whether anyone is a believer. I was talking about whether someone is a Roman Catholic. If the question is whether someone believes, I will take their word for it if they say they do, absent any good evidence that they're lying.
                    It is not a matter of lying. If someone provides a detailed description of their beliefs that is diametrically opposed and contradictory to their claim than it is very simply, I don't buy it.

Comment

Doug,

What is your definition of a Christian?

Comment

Doug

I want to emphasize I do consider Crossan a Christian, because of the wide diversity of beliefs of those who call themselves Christian from the Unitarians to the most rigidly orthodox fundamentalist evangelicals, but the description of Jesus by Crossan is a humanist Unitarian Jesus. No Resurrection, no Revelation from God, no miracles, no Trinity, and no God, just a rebel with a naive idealistic cause.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-10-2016, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Doug

I want to emphasize I do consider Crossan a Christian, because of the wide diversity of beliefs of those who call themselves Christian from the Unitarians to the most rigidly orthodox fundamentalist evangelicals, but the description of Jesus by Crossan is a humanist Unitarian Jesus. No Resurrection, no Revelation from God, no miracles, no Trinity, and no God, just a rebel with a naive idealistic cause.
                          This has got to be one of the most nonsensical ideas ever. You consider someone a Christian who doesn't hold any of the tenants of the faith.

Why do we even have language if you can make words mean anything that you want them to?

Comment

Originally posted by element771 View Post
                            This has got to be one of the most nonsensical ideas ever. You consider someone a Christian who doesn't hold any of the tenants of the faith.

Why do we even have language if you can make words mean anything that you want them to?
                            Not true, there is a distinct difference between the diverse beliefs of Christians, and being a Traditional believer in Christianity, all those who believe in some version of Apostles Creed, and the Trinity. There are a wide variety and diversity of other believers who follow a different version that don't believe in the Trinity, to those like Unitarians that believe in a humanist Jesus. I do differentiate between As long as they are not overtly contradictory, like Crossan, concerning the belief of their chosen faith or church than I accept their claim, which is not an indication I agree with their choice or belief.

Crossan describes his belief in Jesus as a humanist Unitarian Jesus. No Resurrection, no Revelation from God, no miracles, no Trinity, and no God, just a rebel with a naive idealistic cause, and yet claims to irrevocably Roman Catholic, which is diametrically opposed, and overtly contradictory with the beliefs of the Roman Church.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-11-2016, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by element771 View Post
                              Doug,

What is your definition of a Christian?

Comment

I agree. I consider Crossan a Christian.
                                Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-12-2016, 05:58 AM.

Comment