Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Best Christian apologist today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Havent heard of tim wallace. Lots of familiars in this thread. I really want to get Copan's when "God goes to Starbucks"
    sigpic

Comment

Also, Glenn Peoples (though he's not as widely known).
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
        Hard one.
        Willy craig. Mr Holding. Mr peters. Craig Blomberg. Lee strobel. Dinesh D'souza. Ravi Zacharias. David Wood. There are a lot of good ones.
        Lee Strobel???
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by IntelligentDesignWins View Post
          Then there's Michael Behe, Dembski, Meyer, and Gonzalez/Richards.
          Subtle.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
            Subtle.
            Lee Strobel, Michael Behe, Dembski???

This has got to be Poe's Law.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Poe

Comment

Rogue and Carrikature,

Feet are tasty. You don't like feet?

Intelligentdesign,

Tassman just showed you how to post a link. It's not too hard.
              "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
              Hear my cry, hear my shout,
              Save me, save me"

Comment

My favorite apologists are Tassman and Firstfloor. They make atheists look so stupid that people will want to turn to Christianity instead.

Comment

It appears Twebers are just listing apologists without describing the differences and why they consider one better then others. For example: I consider W L Craig rather cookbook simply trying to give extensive arguments for rather standard apologetic arguments. I consider CS Lewis naive and presents rather soft generic arguments. It has been a while since I read J.P. Moreland, but as I remember he does try to tweak apologetic arguments to update them with an intellectual emphasis.

Probably my least favorite is Plantinga, who is the modern proponent of the ontological argument proposing vaguely that religious belief is properly basic and foundational. The problem with Plantinga's argument is that it could be applied to every imaginable belief systems and still be valid.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-30-2016, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    It appears Twebers are just listing apologists without describing the differences and why they consider one better then others. For example: I consider W L Craig rather cookbook simply trying to give extensive arguments for rather standard apologetic arguments. I consider CS Lewis naive and presents rather soft generic arguments. It has been a while since I read J.P. Moreland, but as I remember he does try to tweak apologetic arguments to update them with an intellectual emphasis.

Probably my least favorite is Plantinga, who is the modern proponent of the ontological argument proposing vaguely that religious belief is properly basic and foundational. The problem with Plantinga's argument is that it could be applied to every imaginable belief systems and still be valid.
                    That's a good point remembering Plantinga. Some Christians wouldn't count him as a bona-fide apologete because much of his work supports theism in general, rather than Christianity in particular. At least I am unfamiliar with anything that is specific to Christian apologetics.

fwiw,
                    guaca.
                    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                    Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                      That's a good point remembering Plantinga. Some Christians wouldn't count him as a bona-fide apologete because much of his work supports theism in general, rather than Christianity in particular. At least I am unfamiliar with anything that is specific to Christian apologetics.

fwiw,
                      guaca.
                      Agreed highlighted

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        The problem with Plantinga's argument is that it could be applied to every imaginable belief systems and still be valid.
                        It could unless there is a clear defeater. But as he says: "What the Reformers meant to hold is that it is entirely right, rational, reasonable, and proper to believe in God without any evidence or argument at all; in this respect belief in God resembles belief in the past, in the existence of other persons, and in the existence of material objects."
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          It could unless there is a clear defeater. But as he says: "What the Reformers meant to hold is that it is entirely right, rational, reasonable, and proper to believe in God without any evidence or argument at all; in this respect belief in God resembles belief in the past, in the existence of other persons, and in the existence of material objects."
                          shunyadragon doesn't really understand most of the things he's against. He's so out of his depth on most topics on this forum that I can't help but have second hand embarrassment just reading some of his posts. Basically, he's against Christianity on principle (or any argument he suspects might be slightly Christian positive). That's about it. There's not really any rhyme or reason to the things he's against, which makes his interactions with folks like robrecht, or Kbertsche somewhat entertaining, but ultimately frustrating.

And bar none, he's got the worst reading comprehension of anyone on the forum (even compared to folks like Gary), and is constantly owned by his own quickly googled sources. If I were him, I'd be so embarrassed by being proven wrong so routinely (by others on the forum, and by his own sources), that I'd hide my face in shame and never come back to the forum, but for whatever reason, he simply knows no shame. He's such a peculiar individual. I can honestly say I've never met anyone like him before, on or off line.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            shunyadragon doesn't really understand most of the things he's against. He's so out of his depth on most topics on this forum that I can't help but have second hand embarrassment just reading some of his posts. Basically, he's against Christianity on principle (or any argument he suspects might be slightly Christian positive). That's about it. There's not really any rhyme or reason to the things he's against, which makes his interactions with folks like robrecht, or Kbertsche somewhat entertaining, but ultimately frustrating.

And bar none, he's got the worst reading comprehension of anyone on the forum (even compared to folks like Gary), and is constantly owned by his own quickly googled sources. If I were him, I'd be so embarrassed by being proven wrong so routinely (by others on the forum, and by his own sources), that I'd hide my face in shame and never come back to the forum, but for whatever reason, he simply knows no shame. He's such a peculiar individual. I can honestly say I've never met anyone like him before, on or off line.
                            Is there any purpose for this Trump-like vindictive little burst against shunya other than to poison the well? This sort of thing seems to count as debate among some. It isn't.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            My favorite apologists are Tassman and Firstfloor. They make atheists look so stupid that people will want to turn to Christianity instead.
                            ...and then they see how Christians behave and turn away.
                            Last edited by Tassman; 09-30-2016, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              Is there any purpose for this Trump-like vindictive little burst against shunya other than to poison the well? This sort of thing seems to count as debate among some. It isn't.
                              Trump-like? I don't really follow Trump, so I honestly don't know what you're on about. But no, not well poisoning. Just pointing out the obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post

...and then they see how Christians behave and turn away.
                                No kidding.

I've seen some dysfunctional websites and crazy people on the internet, but I've never come across so many people that are so willing to dish out bile, and yet fancy themselves as morally superior to any and all that oppose them.

Of course, what's even more humorous is that while Adrift concerns himself with the opinions of Gary, Starlight, and Shunny, he's own flock does more damage in how they represent his religion than any skeptic could. It's always fun to show Christians I known in real life the posts of lilpixieofterror and CowPoke and hear their gasps when they realize they are moderators.
                                Last edited by Sea of red; 09-30-2016, 09:09 PM.

Comment