Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The misuse of science by William Lane Craig and othe Christian apologists.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    No, he does not!!!! He characterizes them as speculative metaphysics. If you cannot read his posts, I will site them specifically!!!!
    I already cited him for you. See posts #s 724 & 726:

"I agree that models and theories are essential. The ability to create abstract, general theories is a crucial factor which distinguishes modern science from its predecessors."

Please try not to misrepresent the positions of others.
    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Again there is no known boundary between inside and outside the universe. Our universe is simply expanding within a greater empty space in a greater cosmos.
      Where is the actual evidence of this greater cosmos? Where is the evidence for anything existing "outside" of this universe? And is your greater cosmos expanding or existing in even a greater cosmos?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        None, of course.
        What is the issue here?

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          Where is the actual evidence of this greater cosmos? Where is the evidence for anything existing "outside" of this universe? And is your greater cosmos expanding or existing in even a greater cosmos?
          The falsification of theories and hypothesis in Quantum Physics supported by scientific evidence for natural origins of our universe, and the existence of a greater cosmos. You selectively cite Vilenkin, and Vilenkin supports this view.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
            What is outside of this universe is beyond our purview, but I think that common sense would suggest that some sort of spatial void, one might call that "nothing," must exist outside of this universe for the universe to be able to expand. Its just as absurd to assume that spacetime can emerge within absolute "nothing" as it is to assume that it can be created out of "nothing".

Comment

I already cited him for you. See posts #s 724 & 726:

"I agree that models and theories are essential. The ability to create abstract, general theories is a crucial factor which distinguishes modern science from its predecessors."

Please try not to misrepresent the positions of others.
              Your citation does not address this. The following is more accurate. I have not misrepresented Kbertsche!

Originally posted by Kbertsche
              Absolutely not. There are speculative scientific theories which suggest a natural origin of our universe (and which have serious philosophical problems), but there is no scientific evidence which supports a natural origin of our universe.

You continually confuse speculative theory with scientific evidence.
              Originally posted by Kbertsche
              The proposal of Ali and Das is highly speculative and purely theoretical, with no observational or experimental support. It rests on nonstandard and highly questionable physical concepts. It is not testable in the foreseeable future. Here is a discussion of its problems.

You and Tass are pretty desperate to grasp at straws such as this!

Comment

The falsification of theories and hypothesis in Quantum Physics supported by scientific evidence for natural origins of our universe, and the existence of a greater cosmos. You selectively cite Vilenkin, and Vilenkin supports this view.
                Nonsense Shuny, you have no actual evidence and even Vilenkin's multi-verse needs a beginning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXCQelhKJ7A

And as I have shown Vilenkin also has a theory where the universe spontaneously comes into being without the need of preexisting time, space or matter, the only thing that is required are the "laws" of physics, laws in the Platonic sense. Besides Shuny, doesn't your religion teach that God created this universe? Is your religion wrong?
                Last edited by seer; 11-01-2016, 06:45 AM.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  What is outside of this universe is beyond our purview, but I think that common sense would suggest that some sort of spatial void, one might call that "nothing," must exist outside of this universe for the universe to be able to expand. Its just as absurd to assume that spacetime can emerge within absolute "nothing" as it is to assume that it can be created out of "nothing".
                  OK, but common sense is not actual evidence.

Comment

Your citation does not address this. The following is more accurate. I have not misrepresented Kbertsche!
                    They are all quotes of Kbertsche. None are more or less accurate than the others. The issue only appears to be your unwillingness to fairly represent his position. In neither of the quotes you provided does Kbertsche consider scientific theories, hypothesis, and models of the origins of our universe to be metaphysics. And the quote I provided for you proves that he considers these models and theories to be essential parts of modern science.

Comment

What is the issue here?
                      Knee-jerk argumentativeness on your part, without your being willing to see and acknowledge areas of agreement by fairly perceiving and representing the positions of your discussion partners, preferring instead to claim some kind of scientific authority even when you don't quite fully understand the issues being discussed.

Comment

They are all quotes of Kbertsche. None are more or less accurate than the others. The issue only appears to be your unwillingness to fairly represent his position. In neither of the quotes you provided does Kbertsche consider scientific theories, hypothesis, and models of the origins of our universe to be metaphysics. And the quote I provided for you proves that he considers these models and theories to be essential parts of modern science.
                        You have proved nothing concerning the issues I presented. The issue of what I was addressing in all my relevant posts does not deal with the vague general statement; '. . . he considers these models and theories to be essential parts of modern science.'

The real issues are what I specifically addressed concerning how Kbertsche views the theories, hypothesis and models concerning the natural origins of our universe. I am not misrepresenting Kbertsche on this issue. You have not responded to heart of the issue.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-01-2016, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Knee-jerk argumentativeness on your part, without your being willing to see and acknowledge areas of agreement by fairly perceiving and representing the positions of your discussion partners, preferring instead to claim some kind of scientific authority even when you don't quite fully understand the issues being discussed.
                          What?!?!!?

What is the issue here?

Comment

You have proved nothing concerning the issues I presented. The issue of what I was addressing in all my relevant posts does not deal with the vague general statement; '. . . he considers these models and theories to be essential parts of modern science.'

The real issues are what I specifically addressed concerning how Kbertsche views the theories, hypothesis and models concerning the natural origins of our universe. I am not misrepresenting Kbertsche on this issue. You have not responded to heart of the issue.
                            Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            What?!?!!?

What is the issue here?
                            Now you are merely proving my point without even realizing it. Thank you.

Comment

Now you are merely proving my point without even realizing it. Thank you.

Still waiting . . .

I am not misrepresenting Kbertsche on this issue. You have not responded to the issue of my posts.

Comment

Are you really not going to provide a direct quote from me to prove your point?

Comment