Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Who Wrote the Gospel of Matthew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    Catholic, Protestant, Jewish and agnostic/atheist scholars. At that level of scholarship, discussion of faith perspectives or confessional doctrine very rarely occurs and has little to no relevance. Almost none of my training was in a monastic setting, but rather secular university and graduate schools.
    If you don't mind me asking, what happened? Why didn't you peruse a career in academia? Or did you, and left for...reasons. If memory serves, you're no longer in that field.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      If you don't mind me asking, what happened? Why didn't you peruse a career in academia? Or did you, and left for...reasons. If memory serves, you're no longer in that field.
      I did for a while, but in the long-term celibacy was not very fulfilling at a personal level and I decided I would be happier and more useful to others getting married and having a family so I took a leave of absence and eventually met my wife and we started a family. Needed to make more money to support a family than I could as an academic. I still do a little writing, translating, and editing but more as a hobby than a career. When I retire, I do hope to get back into it full-time.
      אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

psstein's point was not that there was not extensive Hebrew scripture and scribal activity at that time, but that there was not much literature being composed in Hebrew at that time as far as we are aware.
        Ok! That was not clear from his post.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          The Koine Greek Septuagint dates from the 3rd century BCE translated from Hebrew, therefore there must have been extensive Hebrew Old Testament documents available.
          Yes, I know. Robrecht has already accurately responded to you, but my point is not that Hebrew/Aramaic documents didn't exist, we know they did. The issue is that, outside of possibly the DSS, we have no Hebrew/Aramaic documents extant from the first century.

Comment

If memory serves, and perhaps robrecht is being modest, he's academically trained, having been a monk, and worked under a number of prestigious Catholic scholars. Is that correct robrecht?
            I honestly believe that robrecht has a better grasp of many areas of research than I do.

Comment

psstein's point was not that there was not extensive Hebrew scripture and scribal activity at that time, but that there was not much literature being composed in Hebrew at that time as far as we are aware.
              Exactly, it seems as though most educated Jews would write in Greek, like Josephus and Philo.

I'm not totally sure why that is, but it may have something to do with Greek being the lingua franca of most of the East.

Comment

Original and worthwhile is rare, but it does exist, and its value is only proven after many years of difficult testing against centuries of prior scholarship.
                Can you provide a (fairly) recent example? I guess Bauckham's work on eyewitnesses has been rather original, but I'm not sure how enduring it's going to be.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
                  Exactly, it seems as though most educated Jews would write in Greek, like Josephus and Philo.

I'm not totally sure why that is, but it may have something to do with Greek being the lingua franca of most of the East.
                  Was Juice correct in pointing out that Josephus mentioned writing his histories in Hebrew and then in Greek? If so, even if lost to us, that seems evidence of Hebrew writing in the first century.

Comment

I honestly believe that robrecht has a better grasp of many areas of research than I do.
                    No doubt. I honestly don't know why robrecht sticks around. Surely there are more intellectually challenging conversations available online than he can find here. Not that I'd rather he move on. He adds so much to the forum, and while I disagree with a number of his views, I've learned much from him.

No diss to you of course. I enjoy much of what you add to the forum as well. You're still in university, though, correct? Honestly, I envy you both. It's been a dream of mine for some time to delve into theology and Christian history academically, but unfortunately finances currently prevent that. Someday hopefully.

Comment

Was Juice correct in pointing out that Josephus mentioned writing his histories in Hebrew and then in Greek? If so, even if lost to us, that seems evidence of Hebrew writing in the first century.
                      From what I could find online Josephus wrote his Histories first in Aramaic.This link (go to the answer that scores 8 / has 8 votes: http://http://history.stackexchange....en-by-josephus where it shows (convincingly to me) that the language of Jews in the 1st century AD was Aramaic, not Hebrew.
                      3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

I tend to think Papias is more accurate than he's given credit for
                        What do you know about him that leads you to that opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by Juice View Post
                          Are you equally sceptical of the authorship of secular works where the evidential support is no better?
                          Yes, if I agree that the evidence is no better.

Originally posted by Juice View Post
                          Name a work from antiquity which you feel the evidence for authorship is so strong there is no reason to doubt it and we can use that work as a baseline to establish whether you are a rampant sceptic or not.
                          I don't think we're justified in saying, about any ancient document, that there is no reason to doubt who wrote it. I believe that what we can say in some cases is that the evidence for some particular attribution is sufficient to justify a tentative assumption about its authorship. And, I believe that Caesar's authorship of a major portion of the Gallic Wars is an example.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                            Yes, if I agree that the evidence is no better.

I don't think we're justified in saying, about any ancient document, that there is no reason to doubt who wrote it. I believe that what we can say in some cases is that the evidence for some particular attribution is sufficient to justify a tentative assumption about its authorship. And, I believe that Caesar's authorship of a major portion of the Gallic Wars is an example.
                            Doug, just so you know, your version of hyper-skepticism isn't exactly normative. Thankfully for most reasonable individuals, most historians do not think the way you think.

Comment

Doug, just so you know, your version of hyper-skepticism isn't exactly normative.
                              I never said it was normative, and I don't agree that there is anything hyper about it.

most historians do not think the way you think.
                              I have read quite a few books and articles in which historians have explained how they think. Can you quote me one reputable historian who says my view is mistaken?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                                I never said it was normative, and I don't agree that there is anything hyper about it.

I have read quite a few books and articles in which historians have explained how they think. Can you quote me one reputable historian who says my view is mistaken?
                                Sure.

Comment