Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Honor and Shame culture and the Bible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't commentate at length right now, but the majority of scholars reject the apostolic authorship of Matthew and John, while Mark seems to have a slight majority in favor. Luke-Acts is a wreck in current scholarship, but as of 4 years ago, most scholars accepted the traditional authorship.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Which appears to rely on theories in vogue a good 50 years ago.
      Actually, if you read the source it cites, it's not even a decent summary at that. Theissen and Merz are far more careful and nuanced with their language, and don't exactly say what the Wikipedia page would have readers believe. The book used as a source is only from 1998, but one aspect of it is outdated, which is a reference to The Secret Gospel of Mark which was later revealed to be a hoax.
      Last edited by Adrift; 08-09-2016, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
        I can't commentate at length right now, but the majority of scholars reject the apostolic authorship of Matthew and John
        You've mentioned this before, but from my reading it's not that scholars necessarily reject apostolic authorship (though I imagine some do), it's simply that they hand wave it away as something unknowable with any degree of certainty. I can't remember reading many scholars that literally say, "Matthew was very likely not written by a guy named Matthew, John was very likely not written by a guy named John, etc." Rather they say things like, "the Gospels are anonymous, and we don't know who wrote them". Burridge at least mentions that he believes a Johnahine school wrote John in Four Gospels, One Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          You've mentioned this before, but from my reading it's not that scholars necessarily reject apostolic authorship (though I imagine some do), it's simply that they hand wave it away as something unknowable with any degree of certainty. I can't remember reading many scholars that literally say, "Matthew was very likely not written by a guy named Matthew, John was very likely not written by a guy named John, etc." Rather they say things like, "the Gospels are anonymous, and we don't know who wrote them". Burridge at least mentions that he believes a Johnahine school wrote John in Four Gospels, One Jesus.
          Max Ehrman does reject apostolic authorship. The majority of the scholars that propose an unknown authorship, propose that the gospels were written edited and redacted after ~70 AD, and the apostles were no longer living.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            "Here" being Wikipedia.
            Please note, the article is footnoted with sources. Cursing the source does not change the facts of the source.

Comment

Which appears to rely on theories in vogue a good 50 years ago.
              They remain the views of scholars today, such as Max Ehrman.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
                I can't commentate at length right now, but the majority of scholars reject the apostolic authorship of Matthew and John, while Mark seems to have a slight majority in favor. Luke-Acts is a wreck in current scholarship,

but as of 4 years ago, most scholars accepted the traditional authorship.
                Source?
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-09-2016, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Max Ehrmann was a poet that died 60 years ago, I don't see how anything he says is relevant.
                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                    Max Ehrmann was a poet that died 60 years ago, I don't see how anything he says is relevant.
                    Huh. Didn't know he was dead. I ate at his restaurant a few months ago. His burgers are on point.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                      Sorry, Bart Ehrman.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        Huh. Didn't know he was dead. I ate at his restaurant a few months ago. His burgers are on point.
                        Sorry for the typo

Bart Ehrman does reject apostolic authorship. The majority of the scholars that propose an unknown authorship, propose that the gospels were written edited and redacted after ~70 AD, and the apostles were no longer living.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          "Here" being Wikipedia.
                          Yes. So what? Since when did something being on Wikipedia automatically make it incorrect?
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            If there were authored gospels early, say before 100 AD, you would have external evidence that would name and define the gospels.
                            Why should we expect this for the Gospels when we don't have it for secular works never questioned? The earliest direct attribution of authorship of the Gallic War to Caesar comes from Suetonius writing about 160 years after it's publication. There are a few brief mentions of Caesar's "memoirs" before this by Cicero and Plutarch but that's it. The first to directly name the Gallic War and attribute it unequivocally to Caesar is Suetonius. Yet no classical historian disputes its authorship.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                              Yes. So what? Since when did something being on Wikipedia automatically make it incorrect?
                              Any article on Wikipedia on a topic which is remotely controversial is automatically suspect because anyone can edit it and people with fringe views tend to push their view the hardest.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Any article on Wikipedia on a topic which is remotely controversial is automatically suspect because anyone can edit it and people with fringe views tend to push their view the hardest.
                                Exactly. Here's the edit history for the page Roy linked to. It's been edited numerous times this year already. All by anonymous contributors. There's a reason no academic paper would dare use Wikipedia as a reference.

Comment