Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Saved Atheist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is FF really confusing the language to describe a concept with the concept itself, or is he just trolling again?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      add red and green peppers, cheese and onion, and it's a Western umlaut!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        So is FF really confusing the language to describe a concept with the concept itself, or is he just trolling again?

Comment

The problem is that it is not up to you, or me, or anybody here to define what constitutes "saved". That definition falls to God alone.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            The problem is that it is not up to you, or me, or anybody here to define what constitutes "saved". That definition falls to God alone.
            Show me a pastor or missionary who doesn't explain what constitutes salvation.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
              Show me a pastor or missionary who doesn't explain what constitutes salvation.
              They do so based on how they believe it is defined within the precepts of their faith; they're not making an executive decision to make up their own concept or play games with words (or they shouldn't be).
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

You don't seem very retired to me. But your act is tired.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  You don't seem very retired to me. But your act is tired.
                  Speaking of retired .....

unsubscribing! Nothing to see here.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Interesting thought, but not accurate. It is true that the "special language" Christians often use is a problem for the lost. I still have not fully adopted my new tongue after 40 years of being "saved."

I came to know Christ (was saved) in a long term effort to determine if there was any meaning or purpose in life. (Yeah a whole different topic) That special language was a hindrance for me, but as I found the truth I gradually learned the language. It does stand in the way of salvation for unbelievers, but it is so useful among believers. I try to avoid the new language when discussing things with non believers. I probably am not successful, but I do try. The thing is that this "special language" is based upon a new understanding of the universe and our place in it. It does not apply to different reality, just a new understanding of the only reality we can yet touch.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Speaking of retired .....

unsubscribing! Nothing to see here.
                      Yeah, " hope springs eternal" and all that.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        Our ship earth has more voyagers in the quest for salvation then Christians and Atheists.
                        True this. The world has Christians and non-Christians.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                          This needs umlauts.
                          And stars, and grapefruits, and the international symbol for 'slippery when wet'.

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                          Speaking in tongues again?
                          Just testing a theory. Supposedly the language doesn't matter.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

They do so based on how they believe it is defined within the precepts of their faith; they're not making an executive decision to make up their own concept or play games with words (or they shouldn't be).
                            He may be defining it in another sense, apart from the heaven/hell dichotomy. He's not making the "executive decision" to say that atheists are literally saved in the Christian sense, I don't think. Rather, he metaphorized the term to express another idea about the commonality of thought processes between two dissimilar groups.

Metaphorizing terms isn't forbidden in literature, neither is it forbidden in fashioning one's worldview.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              True this. The world has Christians and non-Christians.

Comment

. . . and unfortunately from the human perspective every religion, sect, church, and many other divisions of human belief define it differently as their Way is the only Way.

Comment