Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Poll: The word of God is inerrant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    I guess I don't understand the relevancy of this when we don't have the original text. Or am I misunderstanding that statement?
    OK. How do you know that a text deviates from the original? The text has an origin. Do all the copies say the same thing (spelling, words and word order) or are there known differences in the copies?
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
      Geisler accuses Mike of dehistoricizing the text. The text says they arose so they arose. No need to ask if it's literal or apocalyptic.

I think that if the question is raised, it should be debated. Better to debate it without settling it than to settle it without debating it.
      So it would seem to be an issue of hermeneutics (historical event versus apocalyptic symbolism) being made an issue in inerrancy. [From the context it reads as an historical event - to me. If Matthew is using apocalyptic symbolism, I fail to be able to understand that being done in Matthew's account at all.]

Do you think Geisler would refuse a debate if Licona proposed it?
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        Which is saying nothing meaningful. Since we all say things according to what we believe. The text might as well have read "blah blah blah blah . . ."
        Ahhhh . . . so very very true!

Comment

So it would seem to be an issue of hermeneutics (historical event versus apocalyptic symbolism) being made an issue in inerrancy. [From the context it reads as an historical event - to me. If Matthew is using apocalyptic symbolism, I fail to be able to understand that being done in Matthew's account at all.]

Do you think Geisler would refuse a debate if Licona proposed it?
          Absolutely. Mike has offered Geisler a chance for a meeting on the stipulation that there are witnesses. This is not for a debate, but just to work out differences. He doesn't want it to be alone because Geisler has constantly ripped what Mike has said out of context and he wants someone there who can testify to what they see.

Geisler has refused at every turn.

The issue is one of hermeneutics. It is not one of inerrancy. Geisler wants to make it one of inerrancy.
          Last edited by Apologiaphoenix; 06-07-2016, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Absolutely not. Mike has offered Geisler a chance for a meeting on the stipulation that there are witnesses. This is not for a debate, but just to work out differences. He doesn't want it to be alone because Geisler has constantly ripped what Mike has said out of context and he wants someone there who can testify to what they see.

The issue is one of hermeneutics. It is not one of inerrancy. Geisler wants to make it one of inerrancy.
            I think you threw in an extra negative, Nick.
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              I think you threw in an extra negative, Nick.
              Where?

Comment

Absolutely not. Mike has offered Geisler a chance for a meeting on the stipulation that there are witnesses. This is not for a debate, but just to work out differences. He doesn't want it to be alone because Geisler has constantly ripped what Mike has said out of context and he wants someone there who can testify to what they see.

Are you saying Geisler would or would not refuse a debate? I think a public debate is in order especially if Geisler would publicly refuse. The hermeneutics involved are explicitly Geisler's. I am of the opinion that all Dr. Licona needs to prove is that he believes his hermeneutic interpretation an application is in defence of Biblical inerrancy. Making its case as a valid defence for inerrancy.

Comment

Are you saying Geisler would or would not refuse a debate? I think a public debate is in order especially if Geisler would publicly refuse. The hermeneutics involved are explicitly Geisler's. I am of the opinion that all Dr. Licona needs to prove is that he believes his hermeneutic interpretation an application is in defence of Biblical inerrancy. Making its case as a valid defence for inerrancy.
                  Mike doesn't want to debate. He just wants to discuss the matter. His only stipulation is he wants witnesses there. Geisler is not open at all and he would not dare go public and defend his views in person against Mike. Not a chance.

Comment

Where?
                    You were asked if Geisler would refuse a debate. You answered, "Absolutely not." The rest of your post, however, rather implied that Geisler would, in fact, refuse a debate.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      You were asked if Geisler would refuse a debate. You answered, "Absolutely not." The rest of your post, however, rather implied that Geisler would, in fact, refuse a debate.
                      Okay. My bad on that end.

Comment

Mike doesn't want to debate. He just wants to discuss the matter. His only stipulation is he wants witnesses there. Geisler is not open at all and he would not dare go public and defend his views in person against Mike. Not a chance.
                        Well, that is why I think a public debate approach would ostensibly work better.

Comment

I'm not convinced it would. Geisler can be like a tar baby and Mike would end up getting his ministry to be all about that. He prefers to let JPH and myself handle it as well as others. I agree with him. Mike has better things to do. We've talked about it numerous times before so I know his position well.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            I believe all versions of inerrant beliefs and infallibility concerning the text of the Bible will fail as far as skeptics go including myself. The history of the text of the Bible does not warrant these claims.

One problem obvious here is that there are too many different versions of inerrancy and infallibility for there to be any unity of vision among Christians.
                            This is just too rich to pass up. Personally, I do not hold to any doctrines of scriptural, papal, conciliar, episcopal, pastoral, congregational, or individual innerancy or infallibility, but you do believe in the infallibility of your Bahai scriptures despite resorting to illiteral symbolic interpretations completely contrary to the obvious meaning of some texts.
                            אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                              This is just too rich to pass up. Personally, I do not hold to any doctrines of scriptural, papal, conciliar, episcopal, pastoral, congregational, or individual innerancy or infallibility, but you do believe in the infallibility of your Bahai scriptures despite resorting to illiteral symbolic interpretations completely contrary to the obvious meaning of some texts.
                              Meh, I'm convinced he's as much a Bahai as I am. Guy is barely intelligible most of the time, self-contradictory the rest of the time. Never seems to have a clue what Bahai's actually believe. He's TWeb static. A lot of white noise not worth paying much attention to.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                Meh, I'm convinced he's as much a Bahai as I am. Guy is barely intelligible most of the time, self-contradictory the rest of the time. Never seems to have a clue what Bahai's actually believe. He's TWeb static. A lot of white noise not worth paying much attention to.
                                Is this one of those things where you hit record in an empty room and hear voices when you play it back? Because that might explain some things.

I'm not here anymore.

Comment