Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Gary & Rhinestone's Thread on Burial and Resurrection of Christ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RhinestoneCowboy View Post
    Wrong. You're giving yourself too much credit and i think you think you're more clever than you actually are.

A more precise description of my position is that no one has shown a good reason from Paul to conclude that the resurrection was "physical" whereas there are many good reasons to conclude that it was some sort of "spiritual" resurrection. Spot the difference. If you have no good reason for your case then you can't claim that is the best take on the evidence. You're also mistaken when you say you're "using the exact same strategy that I am" because I've actually presented evidence and argument while you haven't. SPOT THE BIG DIFFERENCE.

I then showed how the "good reasons" that you claim you have aren't so "good" after all. http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post336486

Once again, you fail to interact with any of the dialogue and keep asserting the same thing over and over.

You are clearly a troll. Since when do trolls get to become mods?
    You still have not provided any clear evidence of Paul saying the resurrection was not physical.

I am not a mod. I am an owner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      You still have not provided any clear evidence of Paul saying the resurrection was not physical.

Comment

Pages 124-126 explain what I'm trying to say from a scholarly viewpoint: https://books.google.com/books?id=xa...page&q&f=false

Moderator Notice

Argument by web link is not acceptable.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
        Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Even if I wanted to read the book you linked to I can't do it (when I click the link it says the work is not available as an e-book). You'll have to give me the argument in your own words, or link to somewhere in the thread where you've already made the argument.

Comment

Since you admit that the verses can be interpreted either way, I've done my job here. Thanks!

Comment

Since you admit that the verses can be interpreted either way, I've done my job here. Thanks!
            OK. You do understand a Christian only needs to provide the reason for what is believed. Your agreement is never required. And making arguments contrary to how Christians understand the plain meaning of the texts does not make you misunderstanding true.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Sparko has admitted no such thing. At best, you can take some verses out of their immediate and Jewish context and spin them to support your POV. No one here (or in any other forum you've propounded this, AFAICS) considers your argument in any way persuasive.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You are welcome to interpret them however you want. but you have not convinced anyone else you are correct. Because you have not shown any clear statements from Paul saying he did not believe in a physical resurrection or empty tomb. You are right back where you started, a person with a fringe theory that nobody believes. Congratulations.

Comment

• Has anyone found the verses where Paul says the Risen Jesus was on earth or experienced in a physical way? Because if not, you have no grounds for claiming the "appearances" in 1 Cor 15:5-8 were understood to be more physical than "visions" or "revelatory" experiences. Paul's testimony in no way supports an empty tomb or a physically resurrected corpse like Luke and John describe 30-40 years later. Since Paul claims to have met with Peter and James - Gal. 1-2, this is quite baffling. The only way to interpret this is that Peter and James had "visions" too, not physical encounters that involved touching a once dead corpse that literally rose from the grave. I have sufficiently proven my point despite what the naysayers here are posting.

Comment

Has anyone found the verses where Paul says the Risen Jesus was on earth or experienced in a physical way? Because if not, you have no grounds for claiming the "appearances" in 1 Cor 15:5-8 were understood to be more physical than "visions" or "revelatory" experiences. Paul's testimony in no way supports an empty tomb or a physically resurrected corpse like Luke and John describe 30-40 years later. Since Paul claims to have met with Peter and James - Gal. 1-2, this is quite baffling. The only way to interpret this is that Peter and James had "visions" too, not physical encounters that involved touching a once dead corpse that literally rose from the grave. I have sufficiently proven my point despite what the naysayers here are posting.

Please provide any clear verses where Paul says Jesus was not resurrected physically and the tomb was not empty.

Comment

Please provide any clear verses where Paul says Jesus was not resurrected physically and the tomb was not empty.
                      1 Cor 15:50 and Paul MENTIONS NO EMPTY TOMB. This whole thread is full of additional arguments and evidence. Where's your evidence of a "physical resurrection" in Paul? As it stands, you're still left holding an empty sack.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Sparko has admitted no such thing.
                        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        "You claim to support it by posting various verses that can be interpreted either way and claiming it proves that Paul didn't believe in a physical resurrection."
                        http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post336457

At best, you can take some verses out of their immediate and Jewish context and spin them to support your POV.
                        Actually, I've proven that the "immediate and Jewish context" was much more diverse than apologists are willing to assert. Need proof? Read my posts.

No one here (or in any other forum you've propounded this, AFAICS) considers your argument in any way persuasive.
                        That's fine but it's funny how no one can offer a valid counter argument to what I'm posting. Every objection has failed thus far.

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                          OK. You do understand a Christian only needs to provide the reason for what is believed.
                          I need a good reason. So far, there's no good reason to believe that Paul was speaking about an empty tomb type physical resurrection in his letters.

Your agreement is never required. And making arguments contrary to how Christians understand the plain meaning of the texts does not make you misunderstanding true.
                          What exactly am I misunderstanding? Aren't you the one reading in later sources and claiming it was Paul's view? That's fallacious.

Comment

1 Cor 15:50 and Paul MENTIONS NO EMPTY TOMB. This whole thread is full of additional arguments and evidence. Where's your evidence of a "physical resurrection" in Paul? As it stands, you're still left holding an empty sack.
                            He also didn't mention any time machines. Therefore Jesus was a time traveler!

Comment

Paul shows no knowledge of an empty tomb or physical appearances of Jesus, therefore he knew about those things?

What kind of reasoning is that?

So yes, according to your exact logic and reasoning - since Paul nowhere indicates he knows about time machines, he did know about time travel!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Comment

And he does mention a tomb by implication. People don't raise from the dead after being buried without leaving a tomb behind.

Comment